• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Raven Fire-Lock

Hello , my name is Jeremy and i'm new to this forum .
my character is a lvl 16 Dunmer Firemage : Light boots and gauntlets + robes , restoration , one handed when i run out of magicka ( so far i use mostly firebolt in dual casting , or with fast healing in left hand.) .

it worked for me on early lvl's cause i killed most ennemies before they even got close to me. i have maybe 120 or 130 HP cause i upgrade mostly magicka .

now my questions are :
-is smithing light armor and enchanting it with magic-skill-related is a good strategy for a mage (if yes , wich enchantments) ? or i should stick with robes and go for alteration armor spells ?

- i use one handed rarely ( thus i dont upgrade stamina ) what type of weapon would suit me ( i found that with my imperial warrior i was better with 1H axes)

- is specializing in firespells only to spend less perks in destruction is wise ?

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Do you use a Follower?

Do you use Conjuration?

If no, then modifying the answers to the questions above will greatly reduce your need to switch from Cloth to Light armor and improve your survivability greatly.

Personally, on my zero-armor Altmer mage, I use Ebonyflesh (and previously Oak, Iron, etc) for defense with the Alteration tree perk for both extended duration and enhanced protection. I'm a bit further along than you though, I'm currently level 58, so I had more points to spare. I don't bother with wards unless I'm just bored and goofing around.

Having a Follower and a Summon (or two) will greatly reduce the amount of damage you take.

One question I had is in regards to your use of the 1H, why? Using a robe-based build, part of your defense is distancing yourself from your opponent. When you charge at your opponent, 1H swinging away wildly, you just nullified your greatest strength and exposed your greatest weakness. I would either ditch the 1H completely or commit to a modified hybrid build, like a light-armored Spellsword.

Raven Fire-Lock

I use Lydia as a follower , and the 1H is just for when I'm cornered or out of Magic , I never charge on enemies. I don't use conjuring yet. Now my question is , as an experienced warrior, and with no experience in alteration and illusion , should I make an enchanted dragon scale build and start increasing health ? If not , explain how to play a zero armor build , and what enchantment to chose for clothing

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I'm currently playing a Dunmer pyromancer myself, but he uses 100% magic - no weapons or armor whatsoever.

When I run out of magicka, I either use potions to replenish it, or kite my enemies around until it regenerates enough to shoot another fireball at them. I do carry a Staff of Fireballs in case of emergencies, but haven't had to use it just yet. Using shouts like Unrelenting Force are good for buying time, and you can also turn to aggressive shouts like Fire Breath to continue doing damage while your magicka regenerates.

Here's how to play a zero-armor build:

1. Buy Apprentice (or Adept if you can afford them) Robes of Destruction OR Alteration, as well as an Apprentice or Adept Hood. Wear these in lieu of armor.

2. Buy the spell tomes for Oakflesh and Stoneflesh.

3. Get the following perks from the Alteration tree AS SOON AS POSSIBLE: Novice Alteration, Apprentice Alteration, and Mage Armor.

4. Cast Oakflesh (or Stoneflesh, once you have the Apprentice Alteration perk) at the start of every battle. It lasts sixty seconds. If it wears out - you'll see the blue glow around your character disappear - recast it. THIS IS YOUR ARMOR! Oakflesh gives you an armor rating of 40, Stoneflesh gives you an armor rating of 60. Once you have the Mage Armor perk, those numbers will double as long as you don't wear any armor - including gauntlets and boots, so ditch those once you've got Mage Armor.

5. If you can find them, wear a combination of ring and necklace that will either boost your magicka or magicka regeneration, or lessen the cost of Destruction or Alteration spells (I personally prefer one with magicka regeneration, one with cheaper Destruction).

6. As you level up, be sure to pick up the additional Mage Armor perks, both Stability perks, as well as the Destruction tree perks that focus on your chosen combat style (e.g. Augmented Flames, Destruction Dual Casting). Also keep upgrading your robes and hood, as well as your armor and fire spells.

MushroomGenius

I use Lydia as a follower , and the 1H is just for when I'm cornered or out of Magic , I never charge on enemies.

Why not use a staff? (Though you may have yet to find a decent one)

I don't use conjuring yet. Now my question is , as an experienced warrior, and with no experience in alteration and illusion , should I make an enchanted dragon scale build and start increasing health ? If not , explain how to play a zero armor build , and what enchantment to chose for clothing

By "Warrior" do you mean a weapon-wielding melee character? I wouldn't advise a zero-armor melee character. It'd be interesting, but extremely challenging. Someone on the forum theorized a zero-armor pickpocket/thief character, but I don't think it was designed or intended as a Main Quest/Full Playthrough character.

A zero armor mage relies on several things:
  • Summons (Atronachs preferrably, Zombies later)
  • Followers
  • Alteration Spells (Flesh + Paralysis/Mass Paralysis)
  • Illusion (Calm, Frenzy, Fear, Invisibility, Muffle)
  • Destruction
  • Strategy
Summons:
Early-game, I prefer Atronachs to zombies because you aren't limited to re-animating dead things that are around you. Early-game zombies are pathetically weak and are reduced to dust once killed making them unusable a second time. Atronachs can be summoned at any time, one at a time, meaning that if you find your Atronach dying, you can immediately resummon another one. With Atronachs, you can also place them almost exactly where you want them creating a wall between you and your enemies. With large summons like the Frost Atronach, enemies cannot easily navigate smaller tunnels and hallways in an attempt to get at you when the Atronach blocks their path. If all the damage is sustained by the Atronach, you're free to blast away at a distance safely. Zero armor, no problem here. Later in-game you'll start using Dead Thrall which is majorly enjoying.

Followers:
This can be tricky and it will probably change at some point for you. Lydia is a fine follower to have early on, as are most decent melee based followers. They will essentially serve as your "tank" absorbing damage while you safely attack the enemies from a distance. However, your choice of destruction magic can be disastrous for them. Most fire based magic has an AOE (area of effect) meaning you will probably damage, and likely kill your follower. Frost based magic has the possibility of slowing your own follower's movement speed thus limiting their ability to quickly move onto the next target and guard you. Lightning is the most precise and being that it's only secondary effect is magicka reduction, is the most safe to use around melee followers (with the exception of Chain Lightning).

Alteration Spells:
Flesh spells are something you need to just get into a habit of using. If you're a console player like me, it can be cumbersone to navigate the favorites menu during combat, but you learn to live with it. Make it a habit of refreshing your flesh spells before you enter areas you think might be dangerous. Paralysis is a huge magicka drain, but it can be a life-saver, especially if your shouts are on cool down.

Illusion Spells:
Don't discount the Illusion school. Spells like Calm and Fear can easily whittle down your enemies numbers if you are being overwhelmed. Frenzy/Fury will cause the enemy to attack each other. If you're able to sneak into a room of four enemies, you can cast Frenzy at them and have them kill each other. You only need to pick off the survivors at the end. Invisibility + Muffle are great for sneaking as well as escaping if need be.

Destruction:
As touched upon in the Followers section, your choice of focus determines much of your strategy. If you insist on keeping Fire as your primary, learn to work around the dangers of it. Try to choose followers that will fight at a distance (Faendal, Aela, any Mage) instead of melee followers who could get burned. If you choose to rely on summons, heaving fireballs where they're at isn't so bad, you can always resummon them should they die.

Strategy:
Again, attacking at distance is one of your strongpoints both offensively and defensively. If you're the kind of player that just wants to charge in and lay waste to a room, a zero-armor build is probably not suitable. I would go looking at a Heavy/Light Armor Battle Mage, neither of which I use.

You were talking about Dragonscale... that's pretty much end-game stuff, I wouldn't worry about getting that far at this point. Work on strategically and systematically clearing rooms and dungeons, if you can lock that down, what you wear is inconsequential. Master the basics of magic use first, don't rely on armor as a crutch.

As far as enchantments go, I would look for Destruction cost reductions, Magicka regen, or increasing your Magicka pool. The rest is somewhat irrelevant for combat.

Raven Fire-Lock

Love the staff idea , i am collecting some of these trough the game but never really use them.

By "Warrior" do you mean a weapon-wielding melee character? I wouldn't advise a zero-armor melee character. It'd be interesting, but extremely challenging. Someone on the forum theorized a zero-armor pickpocket/thief character, but I don't think it was designed or intended as a Main Quest/Full Playthrough character.
i forgot a part of the sentence "as an experienced warrior ... " . i forgot to say that i have experience in warrior style with MY OTHER character (imperial jack-of-all-trades-warrior ) . i understood that 0-armor melee is suicide.

now for the follower thing ; even with the firebolt , i found that aiming while lydia is always between me and the enemies is tricky . i now realize that when i ll start using fire ball im gonna kill her in seconds . are the mages followers really fight from distance so i could aim without hurting them ?? or should i go with lightning ??

MushroomGenius

now for the follower thing ; even with the firebolt , i found that aiming while lydia is always between me and the enemies is tricky . i now realize that when i ll start using fire ball im gonna kill her in seconds . are the mages followers really fight from distance so i could aim without hurting them ?? or should i go with lightning ??

Try it, head over to Riften's Bee and Barb and grab Marcurio. He'll only cost you 500g and then you can see for yourself. Keep in mind though, that without a Follower in front of you to take the physical attacks, you open yourself up quite a bit. I would get in the habit of supplementing yourself with summons (Familiar, Frost Atronach)

Personally, I typically run with a 4 Mage "party". Myself, Illia (Ice Mage), and two dead thrall Mages (either Orchendor, Sild, or Wyndelius). I give Illia a Flame Atronach Staff that she uses to conjure another member to our team during most combat.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Regarding followers and summons, I - being generally anti-follower - recommend going with the atronach that matches your Destruction specialty, i.e. Flame Atronachs if you'll be focusing on fire spells. Atronachs take no damage from like spells, so you won't have to worry about harming them when they're acting as a tank for your enemy's melee blows.

Regarding illusion spells, I've only just started using them myself, but I find them incredibly useful. My typical strategy when coming across one or two enemies is to use the Marked for Death shout, immediately followed by a Calm spell. When Calm wears off thirty seconds later, Marked for Death will have taken, depending on how many words of the shout you know, thirty, sixty, or ninety points of health off of them, and seriously lessened their armor rating. At that point, my magicka will have regenerated, and I can start shooting firebolts - or, if there's more than one enemy, I'll cast Fury on each of them to turn them against each other until I'm left with just one to finish off myself.

I can't recommend Marked for Death enough, really. Make that a high priority on your to-do list! However, be warned that it you accidentally hit a follower with it, it will permanently lower their armor rating, so if you plan on taking a tank follower like Lydia with you, Marked for Death might be risky.

MushroomGenius

Regarding followers and summons, I - being generally anti-follower - recommend going with the atronach that matches your Destruction specialty, i.e. Flame Atronachs if you'll be focusing on fire spells. Atronachs take no damage from like spells, so you won't have to worry about harming them when they're acting as a tank for your enemy's melee blows.

Didn't know that!

Anti-follower even in regards to ranged-type followers? Personally, I don't care for melee types anymore as they're more likely to just muck things up for me as I'm sneaking around, but I love Mage followers!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Anti-follower even in regards to ranged-type followers? Personally, I don't care for melee types anymore as they're more likely to just muck things up for me as I'm sneaking around, but I love Mage followers!

Mages definitely make better followers than warriors - I have to say, I was pretty impressed with Onmund. But given the choice, I will always choose to go it alone, since I am by nature a stealthy player. I'm really enjoying using Flame Atronachs and Dremora when my Dunmer gets into big fights, though!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts