Dumb newb gameplay questions

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

folgore

I'm currently playing as a Breton mage. First, some smithing questions:

1. What do you do with all the Dragon bones and scales? Sell them right away? Under smithing, it seems you can't do anything with the Dragon material unless you build out the Smithing tree.

2. Is it worth it build up smithing enough so you can upgrade arcane weapons? Or, as a mage, is it better to take the wimpy weapon with a cool spell and use it in the arcane enchanter so that you can put that spell on more capable weapons?

I, of course, have read that mages should build out the alterations tree to get mage armor which only works if all your clothing is unarmored. Can you at least enchant those "college boots" with a spell like heavy lifting so long as armor isn't involved? Are there unarmored bracers for that matter? Or is that a piece of clothing mages shouldn't wear?

My apologies if the "Help board" isn't the right place for these kinds of questions. If there's a more appropriate board, please let me know.

Hlíf 'Ulfr

Nothing but a lyre
Staff member
Hi there! First of all, totally not a silly question to be asking. Answering questions is part of what we're here for. As far as the dragon bones etc are concerned I generally hoard them in a chest where they of no use to anyone, however, if you are not planning on using them I would suggest just selling them. They weigh too much to just drag around otherwise. As for weapons and armor you have a few options. If you would like to use a pure mage I would not suggest investing in smithing. You won't be relying on your armor or weapons as your primary defense etc. If you would like to create more of a spell sword I would still avoid smithing but consider your weapon choice more closely. I find that class guides or builds are extremely useful in cases like these and if you were to search something like "Skyrim Mage Build" you'll get a lot of info and direction as to how best to play a specific class. The neat thing about Skyrim though is that you can really do whatever you want, although you might not be as effective for it. Hope that was somewhat helpful. :D

DragonQueen

Hi there :)
Okay so I've played as a Breton Mage before and I can totally help you out.

Dragon Materials. Depending on how far you are in the main questline, save up you bones. Definitely! You'll need them later on when you join the Blades. As for the scales it's up to you and how you play. Do you need insanely heavy armour/defense

Smithing. If you're purely a mage then I wouldn't suggest building up your smithing skills as it takes some time. Get yourself to level 20 and you'll be just fine. You'll never run out of magic weapons they're all over Skyrim if you look for them. Work on your enchanting

If you find or create weapons, armor, or robes you won't be using then I would suggest dropping them. The weight tallies up and why use space you might need for ingredients and books right? If however, you're not sure about needing something either keep it or store it in a chest you own for later. (Just don't leave it unattended it might disappear on you)

Hope this helps a bit if you need more help look up a mage guild they're really helpful;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts