• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Zippinboltz

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and skyrim itself. I noticed a lot of people don't use Duel Wield maces, and that they almost always are using daggers. But aren't daggers much weaker? Should I continue doing this? I'm playing an Argonian if that matters. Thanks :)

Mad-God Rigamortis TuDoap

Rogue Extraordinaire
You can duel wield any weapon, maces swing slower but would do more damage than daggers. Daggers just are useful for fast swinging attacks if you increase your duel wield perks and for the 15X sneak damage perk. But duel wielding maces would be sweet though, just run around bashing heads in.

Rogue Extraordinaire
There's no initial bonus to using a dagger originally, i would start off with two bigger weapons to duel wield before switching allowing you to place your perks. No point in being under powered by using a dagger if your not sneak killing or have the faster swinging perks.

Zippinboltz

Well that is why I enjoy my maces, but more importantly why use daggers for duel wield sneaking when this is the expected scenario at the end game when the daedric weapons for both weapons are fully enhanced?
Mace: 5xx
Dagger: 12x

With the sneak multipliers: 12x X 15 = 1800 damage
Comapared to Mace: 5xx X 6 = 3000

All legitly enhanced

Adam Warlock

put a dagger in your left hand with the mace in your right. fastest strikes for dual-flurry that way. also you can get that great sneak attack bonus by stabbing with the dagger 1st if you`ve managed to approach your foe undetected. one of my favorite weapons is the Mace of Molag Bal which has given me some great cut animation kills

Rogue Extraordinaire
Mace of Molag Bal is epic, I used it during a previous play through. Now I'm using Mehrunes Razor and destruction as a battlemage rogue type. Wish i had a cap-card to save some clips or had a decent comp to play it on instead of PS3, there's always something crazy that happens to me everytime I play.

Rogue Extraordinaire
Does that lower my damage? Just attempted it with a steel dagger(Fine) and a Steel Mace (fine)
It'll lower the damage for the hand that has the dagger in it until you complete the right side of the sneak skill tree for the 15x sneak damage with daggers.

Adam Warlock

the key to the pairing isn`t that dagger + mace is more hit points than mace + mace , but that you can deliver more strikes in the same period of time. i don`t know the precise figures on xbox but wouldn`t be surprised if (hit points per second) weren`t better with a dagger but certainly the numbers will turn out to be not far apart. if you like having the option for that sneaky dagger multiplier , it shouldn`t hurt your offense. but if you just like to mash , a pair of legendary ebony maces will do the trick

Adam Warlock

not for all foes but here`s how i handle many dragr dens where the residents are "sleeping" in niches (target the ones with armor) . i use a dual enchanted dagger with fiery soul trap/ extra fire damage in left and mace in right, if you sneak well(and have the perk) you can walk right up to the dragr and stab him for a kill and a soul before he awakens. another bonus is that using a dagger is quieter and may not alert other foes. if it`s a deathlord i usually do a left/ right combo for added certainty even though that makes more noise. even if you have as few as 5 secs to trap soul then if the dagger didn`t finish him , the mace likely will and you`ll still get the soul. if his buddies come after you, then mace them to pieces(repeat right trigger) or sheathe dagger for another mace since the sneak multiplier is lost.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Daggers have the fastest attack speed of any one-handed melee weapon. Maces have the slowest attack speed of any one-handed melee weapon. Your off hand weapon dictates your dual wield attack speed. If you put a dagger in your left hand your attack speed will be measurably greater than if you put a mace in it.

I generally recommend using the dagger in your off hand for your starter build because the damage difference between a mace and a dagger is negligible and you may actually net a benefit in damage over time with the dagger, especially because the number of power attacks you can deliver at lower levels is limited by your relatively low stamina.

When your One-Handed skill increases enough, you'll probably want to abandon the dagger because the damage difference versus heavier weapons will scale. If you include Smithing in your build the difference will be even greater, and if you include Enchanting in your build it will be even greater than that. Also if you incorporate Fortify One-Handed enchanted equipment into your build, a dagger will not benefit from it.

Stealth is not a consideration for a dual wield build. While it still it may help with your overall build, a dual wielding build addresses straight melee combat not stealth attacks.

daggers hit a lot faster, with the right glove and the sneak perk you can get x30 sneak damage, the maces ignore armour perk is next to useless (because of how few enemies have armour).

that being said for a non-stealth character you're probably better off with something else and all things considered the differences between maces/swords/axes is negligible and you're better of going with what you feel is the "coolest" (it's axes in case you were wondering).

Maces look sweet, they hit too slow for my liking.
If you like sneaking use daggers but if you just like to charge in like a B0SS then use maces

SaveVsBedWet

Dr. D'Irsei considers her mace to be her favorite dental instrument. There is nothing better for arranging a patient's entire pallet at once. AND for making sure both sides of the mouth remain nice and even. Nobody likes to walk around looking like a Madball.

It's hard to work with two maces at once because maces are h-e-a-v-y. Stamina becomes an issue then. Better to work with a precision instrument like a dagger in the other hand, particularly with enchantments.

Ignoring 75% of armor does have its moments. Guards and idiot bandits that argue over their bill are easy to deal with then - including those pesky chieftains who think the way to be right is to simply get louder. It doesn't work, and they waste their free lollipop to top things off. The dead don't lick their way to the center.

Another good combo is mace in one hand + sword in the other. Swords cost less than maces and axes in stamina but still produce great smiles faster than daggers.

El-Lee Zardo

I have been duel wielding epic ebony swords with plus 25 elemental damage of one type or another for awhile and i love hacking through bandits, trolls, forsaken and dragons of every type and color. Cant wait to make some deadric swords for maximum duel wielding destruction.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Straumgald

Dr. D'Irsei considers her mace to be her favorite dental instrument. There is nothing better for arranging a patient's entire pallet at once. AND for making sure both sides of the mouth remain nice and even. Nobody likes to walk around looking like a Madball.

It's hard to work with two maces at once because maces are h-e-a-v-y. Stamina becomes an issue then. Better to work with a precision instrument like a dagger in the other hand, particularly with enchantments.

Ignoring 75% of armor does have its moments. Guards and idiot bandits that argue over their bill are easy to deal with then - including those pesky chieftains who think the way to be right is to simply get louder. It doesn't work, and they waste their free lollipop to top things off. The dead don't lick their way to the center.

Another good combo is mace in one hand + sword in the other. Swords cost less than maces and axes in stamina but still produce great smiles faster than daggers.

I thought every power attack used the same stamina, regardless of weapon size. Weapons all have different weights and all, I am pretty sure you could find a sword heavier than a mace, so being based on weight wouldn't make any sense. I could be wrong and this is the way they do it of course.

I like to have a mace for charging double critical attacks w/perk, sometimes I just run 2. It honestly doesn't make a difference. Its not like your parsing DPS to compare to other damage classes on a guild raid or anything, where you could be swinging at the same enemy for 5+ minutes, like in some MMOs.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I thought every power attack used the same stamina, regardless of weapon size.
The amount of stamina a power attack uses is dependent on the weight of the weapon and whether it's a single weapon or dual wielding power attack.

SaveVsBedWet

Yup. What Dagmar said. And fortunate too, because it would be mighty counterintuitive and immersion wrecking if it were no more taxing for Dr. D'Irsei to ForceFloss (Now with 20% more Ire) her patients with a huge battleaxe than with an exaggerated kitchen knife.

But she wouldn't complain if it were true! No, no...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts