• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I just ran some damage tests with armor exceeding the required armor rating for the armor rating based physical damage reduction cap and Dragonhide running. Apparently Dragonhide reduces physical damage by a different game mechanic than armor rating and the two work together much like magic resistance and elemental physical damage resistance, i.e. 80% physical damage reduction of one of them is applied first and then the other 80% physical damage reduction is applied to the remaining damage for a net effect of 96%. The testing parameters were displayed armor rating of 987 from 4 pieces of armor (no shield) tested against attacks from a Giant on Master Difficulty setting both with and without Dragonhide running. Damage from regular attacks from the Giant without Dragonhide running was approximately 60 per hit. Damage from regular attacks from the Giant with Dragonhide running was approximately 12 per hit or approximately 20% of the 60 damage taken from attacks without Dragonhide running. I have not tested which applies first yet but a few other things to note:

1. Unlike the other Alteration spells which actually affect displayed armor rating, Dragonhide only changed displayed armor rating by 1 point;

2. The AI value DamageResist was 0 with no armor and Dragonhide running, and was 987 (not the displayed armor rating of 988) with the armor equipped and Dragonhide running;

3. The effects only work together when Dragonhide is cast while wearing the armor. If you remove the armor or cast Dragonhide without armor on and then equip armor, respectively, your displayed armor drops down to or stays at 1; and

4. The damage reduction from Dragonhide was slightly greater than the physical damage reduction from the armor. Damage from regular Giant attacks were approximately but consistently 53 instead of 60. I'm not sure what's accounting for the marginal but consistent higher damage reduction.

Given all of this, I'm not sure if this is a bug or working as intended but I thought I would post this information for those that might be inclined to use this information.

(Note that this does not apply to any of the Alteration flesh spells which operate under the same mechanic as armor and therefore will not result in physical damage reduction beyond the 80% cap for armor.)

ShadowGambit

Thank you Dagmar. Great Info as usual.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts