• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I think someone likes lydia alot, not that the pic gave it away or anything. also i said unnecessary because the AI is retarded it should be smart enough to go around simple traps.
I like followers that can handle themselves and the Housecarls are among the best for both melee and ranged combat. Lydia is simply the natural choice since you can get her very early in the game and you have to become Thane of Whiterun to move the main storyline along. I also don't feel the need or desire to become Thane of any other capital city. I did it once to see what the other Thane quests are like but I've never done it since.

The AI being "retarded" doesn't make it unnecessary to direct followers, it makes it necessary.

perkecet

well barbas is unique in that he's meant to be really annoying. he's the only dog that's literally invincible. to stop people from abusing that they made him the most annoying creature to ever have following you. i thought i could deal with him pushing me around all the time until i was ready to complete the quest. well, i was wrong. we made a quick stop over in ivarstead so i could feed on a patron of its inn. my character had way too high of a sneak skill and i could stand in front of people without getting seen. barbas was hell-bent on making sure i couldn't utilize that skill. i went to bite the sleeping person's neck and wouldn't you know it, the darn dog pushes me into her and all of a sudden the whole hold is after me. i wasn't too worried since it was a measly 40 gold for assault. too bad after i ran my follower and barbas killed three people.

moral of the story: get barbas out of your party ASAP.

and edit: @above, yeah, you have to pay attention to what you're doing and your follower won't run into traps like that. the AI isn't great but it really isn't hard to stop them from getting them selves almost killed. also, housecarls are the best tank followers, i agree. they can do anything you need really, besides cast spells.

Derpo

well barbas is unique in that he's meant to be really annoying. he's the only dog that's literally invincible. to stop people from abusing that they made him the most annoying creature to ever have following you. i thought i could deal with him pushing me around all the time until i was ready to complete the quest. well, i was wrong. we made a quick stop over in ivarstead so i could feed on a patron of its inn. my character had way too high of a sneak skill and i could stand in front of people without getting seen. barbas was hell-bent on making sure i couldn't utilize that skill. i went to bite the sleeping person's neck and wouldn't you know it, the darn dog pushes me into her and all of a sudden the whole hold is after me. i wasn't too worried since it was a measly 40 gold for assault. too bad after i ran my follower and barbas killed three people.

moral of the story: get barbas out of your party ASAP.

and edit: @above, yeah, you have to pay attention to what you're doing and your follower won't run into traps like that. the AI isn't great but it really isn't hard to stop them from getting them selves almost killed. also, housecarls are the best tank followers, i agree. they can do anything you need really, besides cast spells.
to bad they prefer to shoot.

Dagmar

...to stop people from abusing that they made him the most annoying creature to ever have following you...
I'm pretty sure Barbas's pathing is not by intent. Barbas is not the only unkillable follower you can get in the game. Any follower that is still a quest giver is also unkillable and they don't path right into you.
to bad they prefer to shoot.
Housecarls will use bows when the enemy is at a distance but they will melee if the enemy is close enough. Many players complain about the opposite of what your experiencing saying that Housecarls constantly get in the line of fire because of their tendency to rush forward to do melee combat.

Derpo

I'm pretty sure Barbas's pathing is not by intent. Barbas is not the only unkillable follower you can get in the game. Any follower that is still a quest giver is also unkillable and they don't path right into you.

Housecarls will use bows when the enemy is at a distance but they will melee if the enemy is close enough. Many players complain about the opposite of what your experiencing saying that Housecarls constantly get in the line of fire because of their tendency to rush forward to do melee combat.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4236oQPWm1qlo80p.jpg

Derpo

Coming from someone who doesn't even know how to use the word "necessary" makes for an ironic troll. :rolleyes:
Not sure what mean? if its grammar than that is because of the auto grammar thing on here, i got 2 choices and picked whatever my eye quickly saw. otherwise i have absolutely no fluffing clue what you are getting at.

Derpo

Not sure what mean? if its grammar than that is because of the auto grammar thing on here, i got 2 choices and picked whatever my eye quickly saw. otherwise i have absolutely no f***ing clue what you are getting at.
Ignore this, misread. first off What i meant was the AI should be good enough to not be an annoyance. it was "necessary" for the developers to do they're job right.

Adam Warlock

Respectfully disagree about housecarls and spell casting.
While certainly they don`t know spells of their own , they will happily put away the bow and use Magic Staffs of all sorts and will dual-wield them too.
Before I took Lydia to the Blades , she would shoot staff fireballs two-handed as good as any mage.
In fact , I had to trade out with her a lot because the staffs needed recharging after she would spam her fiery way through large dungeons.
She likewise would use Sanguine Rose and Atronarch staffs.
Frankly , I`m sick of dealing with the default bow problem on followers and have given all of mine some staffs to use.
The only followers that I have seen consistently use the Legendary bows I provide are the few who don`t have a bow to start with. They aren`t great shots like Lydia,etc. but at least your Daedric Bow with dual destruction enchants can be seen in use instead of a f***ng hunting bow.

Adam Warlock

Sorry that last one was off topic.
I`m going to go over to Meeko`s and throw him some cooked beef for my atonement .
Here you go , Meeko ! Fetch ! Good boy !

Dagmar

No need to apologize. The thread derailed several posts before.

I'm still trying to get my wolf follower mod to work. It's very glitchy. I may end up sticking to simple item mods at this rate. :sadface:

Adam Warlock

No need to apologize. The thread derailed several posts before.

I'm still trying to get my wolf follower mod to work. It's very glitchy. I may end up sticking to simple item mods at this rate. :sadface:
wow . A wolf follower ? tres cool
Are they reckless attackers like the dogs or will they sneak like followers ?
Love to have one if they didn`t howl and give you away

Dagmar

Animal sounds don't seem to register as noise for the purposes of detection because Barbas barks non-stop but it never gives away my position. They give you away though because they can't sneak so they are quite easy to detect.

It would be funny if you could mod them to sneak and give them little booties enchanted with Muffle. :)

Metas

Redguard Battlemage
regardless of any follower, i would rather do everything on my own and conjure up a familiar or a atronach. everybody just gets in the damn way and it ruins my life, it makes my balls itch thats how mad i get

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
I shall have a dog in Skyrim and he shall be called Dogmeat. On topic, sort of, I don't use dogs as companions much because they mostly get in the way. And they don't follow you into dungeons. Or do they... it's been a while. But if I play as a hunter or something I like to take one along with me. Adds to the RP.

Nakatsu_Hime

I steer clear of dogs as a rule.
All they do is bark, snuffle, play havoc with my creeping up on people, and eat their own poo.

Black swordsman

sword swinger
Ah Lydia, how sweet is thou face, and how I long for thine embrace, in battle and love our spirit is one, together we dream the day will come, when our homeland and people, oppressed no more, to live in peace and fight no more, we fight for love and live by sword, til we take our place in sovngard.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts