Does Maven perform the Black Sacrament against you?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I'm sure we've all been attacked by Dark Brotherhood assassins who hold a note from Astrid, saying the Black Sacrament has been performed and the client has paid and that failure is not an option. I always assumed it was a random occurence.

Well! Today I picked Maven Black-Briar's pocket and found an interesting key called Maven's Personal Key, and immediately went to Black-Briar Manor to find the door it belonged to, which turned out to be one in the basement. Inside, it was obvious the Black Sacrament had been performed, and a note to the Dark Brotherhood lay in the circle:

408px-To_the_brotherhood.png

This made me wonder: maybe those assassins that come after you are on a contract belonging to Maven Black-Briar! I know it's probably all a coincedence, but I think it ties together well enough to be a plausible explanation.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
You may possibly have just answered one of the greatest questions in Skyrim: Who the hell wants me dead? Makes sense, I'ma go ahead and say YES!

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I still don't quite understand how the DB was getting contracts via Black Sacrament when there was neither the Night Mother nor a Listener around.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Because when you do something like that, people talk about it, or when you just hate someone and want them dead people talk, its all rumors that they hear.

Gowsh

Old Fart
This has been bugging quite a bit me as well.

My last character must've had five or six unsuccessful assassination attempts. I kind of started to look forward to them. The assassins had decent loot.

However, what triggered the contract? Was it a standing "whack the Dragonborn," in effect for a few hundred years? Was it something I said? :) The Battleborns hired some thugs. The horse guy (Leo somebody?) hired a free lance hitter when I stiffed him in the Frost deal. I think there were a couple others who sent representatives, but who was p-o'ed enough to paid the blood price?

If it was Maven, it was a "Whack the Dragonborn" contract, as I was first attacked well before I hit Riften. Can anyone recall if it first happened before "Diplomatic Immunity," which would tend to rule out the Thalmor as good candidates as well.

Additionally, why would they let me into the Brotherhood when there was an outstanding contract on my life?

I'm confused (which is nothing that unusual).

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
However, what triggered the contract?

I don't think anything triggers it; I think it happens randomly. I had it happen to a character who was level 4, who had only spoken to four people—Ralof, Gerdur, Alvor, and Lucan—since leaving Helgen, and who was en route to Whiterun for the first time. I can't see any possible explanation as to why an assassin would come after me at that point!

Gowsh

Old Fart
The easy answer is. Random game mechanics.

You're likely correct. but it would disappoint me.

They ended up presenting an interesting mystery and it would be much more fun if there was an answer to deduce, or even better, a quest to solve it.

Best.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.

They ended up presenting an interesting mystery and it would be much more fun if there was an answer to deduce, or even better, a quest to solve it.

Best.

Perhaps it'll be a side story in the DLC? We can only hope.

perkecet

Best.
no, it's just a random encounter. just like the roadside thief, drug dealer, noble with guard, thalmor with prisoner, farmer going to enlist, old orc, stray dog, and mercenary heading to a job.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts