Does anyone know what soul gem fragments do?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShangTsung

I have been wondering this forever now, i've looked and searched but never found a use for them? at first i thought maybe if you found enough you'd create some sorta super soul gem but that doesn't seem to be the case as i have over a hundred, yes i collect them like inyuyasha collecting jewel shards.. lol i don't see why they'd be scattered around if there was no purpose to them.

ShangTsung

Nothing whatsoever. I think that there might be one quest in which they feature, if even that. But they are awfully pretty and kind of a unique item.
they serve no purpose at all? thats weird.. makes u wonder why their even on the game, oh well, strange indeed... thanks for the info m8. :confused:

Morgan

I use 'em to fill all the generic display cases in the Hearthfire player houses (as opposed to the weapon ones in the vanilla houses). It's impossible to center any single item in those since the object slides down and out of sight, and the real jewels are worth too much for smithing jewelry,

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Exactly, nothing ! I would not even bother at all to pick them up. For a few coins, not worthy to carry them in my opinion.

Liger

++++++++++++SPOILER+++++++++++++++++

If I remember right, you do need them to get into the soul cain in the Dawngaurd DLC along the dawngaurd storyline, but thats the only place I know that they are needed, and its only 1 or 2 fragments.Plus 2 other things, I think refined-bonemeal and something root, can not remember off the top of my head.

Liger

++++++++++++++Spoiler++++++++++++++++++
oh wait and I think they are also used in the forge under winterhold to make somthing.

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
++++++++++++SPOILER+++++++++++++++++

If I remember right, you do need them to get into the soul cain in the Dawngaurd DLC along the dawngaurd storyline, but thats the only place I know that they are needed, and its only 1 or 2 fragments.Plus 2 other things, I think refined-bonemeal and something root, can not remember off the top of my head.
I thought that initially too, but the shards you use are special for that quest and don't help with the random shards you find everywhere else. I haven't tried playing with that elemental-summoning thing below the college very much so I can't recall if the fragments are involved with that.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
To get into Soul Cairn, you need a full ( empty ) Black Soul gem not a fragmented one. Also, I don't think that you can use fragmented black soul gems in the Atronach forge located in the Winterhold College.

ShangTsung

I thought that initially too, but the shards you use are special for that quest and don't help with the random shards you find everywhere else. I haven't tried playing with that elemental-summoning thing below the college very much so I can't recall if the fragments are involved with that.
i've tried messing with that thing for hours, thinking i could somehow get a free flame atronach follower or something but no, you summon them, they attack you and thats it.. i have no clue why you can place the sigal stone there cause it serves absolutely no purpose.. same with the "hand" thing, you apparantly need some kinda rings to place on it but i've never found them..

Spiral

A sneaky lil bastard
i've tried messing with that thing for hours, thinking i could somehow get a free flame atronach follower or something but no, you summon them, they attack you and thats it.. i have no clue why you can place the sigal stone there cause it serves absolutely no purpose.. same with the "hand" thing, you apparantly need some kinda rings to place on it but i've never found them..
The rings are located in the arcanium when you enter go to the left side and there will be a jest in the shadows with all five rings in it

ShangTsung

The rings are located in the arcanium when you enter go to the left side and there will be a jest in the shadows with all five rings in it
thanks m8, i had checked the arcanium for them before but could never find them, didn't realize they were that well hidden..

Spiral

A sneaky lil bastard
Yeah I had a problem with finding them before and when you put the rings on the hand a daedra guy will appear DO NOT banish him work with him and he will give you a treasure map to find some treasure it's alot better than killing him in which you won't get squat

ShangTsung

Yeah I had a problem with finding them before and when you put the rings on the hand a daedra guy will appear DO NOT banish him work with him and he will give you a treasure map to find some treasure it's alot better than killing him in which you won't get squat
nice!!! thanks for the heads up m8..

Jake Johnson

Apparently, Soul Gem Fragments cannot be used for anything. Sell them for minor money (useful early on; though better sources of money will reveal themselves later.)

At least you're not grabbing those ignorant Linen Wraps...

However, I thought of some of those things, also - for example, would there be some quest eventually in which one quilliard Soul Gem Fragments might actually be useful?

BTW, if you don't know how large a quilliard is, read The Hitchhiker's Guide.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
you can probably crush them, snort them and get really high for about 1.2 seconds.

and Haelga uses them as an aphrodisiac. Of course she also uses everything else ever created throughout history for aphrodisiacs too but... ummm... :rolleyes:

Chadonraz

At least you're not grabbing those ignorant Linen Wraps...

Linen Wraps are useful if you're playing on PC with Frostfall. :p
I once collected a dozen in BFB.

As for Soul Gem Shards, I, too, have wondered what their purpose is. I see I'm not the only one who (in the past) thought they could be used for creating soul gems. :)

I remember having a character who picked up all the shards (s)he found... ended up with a three-digit number of them. :rolleyes:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts