Does anyone here share my hatred for underwater levels?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Writes-Many-Posts

Champion of Grottos and Gremlins
It does not matter which game it is: I just hate the feeling of going underwater. After spending such a long time playing Skyrim (thankfully a relatively underwater-free game), and then playing Stranded Deep, I realized how true it was. The controls feel clunkier (looking at you, AC4), to the point of you not knowing whether your character is swimming towards the top or the bottom of the ocean, and your speed compared to everything else is reduced to a point I could almost call it torture.

Then we also have the fact that I feel like I am out of breathing time as soon as my screen turns blue, and how underpowered you are compared to your enemies down there (we Skyrim players can relate), blurry vision, muffled sound, eerie environment, AC4 jumpscares and how big it seems to be compared to you.

Please tell me I am not alone :[

- Writes-Many-Posts, embittered after being dragged to the depths of the Pacific by a Tiger Shark

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Depends whats underwater, and whether its a main focus or just a rushed addition for the more adventurous gamer.

In Skyrim water exploration is a bit meh...sure theres stuff like the odd secret chest, but normally, hardly anything worth looting anyway. And no interesting water creatures, lame fish.

Theres a few games where I like water exploration - No current gen games spring to mind, infact I have to dig quite far deep into memory to think of one.

Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3, Crash Bandicoot, Kingdom hearts, Tomb Raider 2

Not many games that provide decent underwater exploration, by that meaning underwater with a purposeful value other than just to spread loot.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
... You are definitely not.

MH3 Tri. (Monster Hunter 3 Tri):

I won't give much away but about at the middle of the main questline, you finally meet the town's local inhabitant. And you have to fight it UNDER WATER.

At the end of the game you find the real problem of Moga Village. But unlike the mistaken monster, it's kinda fun. Needless to say though, the first suspect of the village's problems is a pain in the arse.

However, there are two more different monsters in the Flooded Forest area (I'm just gonna say the names of the areas, regardless if no one has played this game). One looks like a giant green otter with a freaking spongy lion's mane and the other... Looks like a nightmare fish from hell. I was terrified when I first saw that thing.

As for other games, I don't recall having much problems. But Monster Hunter tri has water monsters that will have you pulling your hair out if you're a beginner. Even Vets in online mode were cursing at them when I was in their hunting party. Rather amusing. I miss ye'old online.

sticky runes

Ugh, Resident Evil Revelations 1 was full of underwater sections. You're on boats most of the time which end up sinking so you walk through one hall, only to have to swim back through it later and trying to find pockets of air while being attacked by giant blue vagina monsters which you can't kill because combat is deactivated while underwater.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Super Mario, anyone? With those freaking follow fish, those work like heat seeking rockets xD

Jybrael

Oh how I loathe underwater levels...but sadly almost every single game out there has them in it argh. :sadface:

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
That is why I was happy I was an Argonian (Or got an Amulet of Water Breathing) for the Water level in Oblivion.

You know, with the Giant Slaughterfish.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
I thought Skyrim's underwater moments (thankfully held to a minimum) were hilarious, if only for the fact that you were so heavily armored, yet you could swim/move like you were the Little Mermaid. :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts