Do you think some of the dungeons are too long?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I really liked the Hidden Vale, just took way to long to get there. And I couldn't carry much so I just wanted to get it done, get home and unload all my loot. I also liked the Soul Cairn. Blackreach was too dark for me, though it is beautiful. And just like with the Hidden Vale, I just wanted to get done by the time I reached it. I may enjoy these places more this play through, I'm not picking everything up to sell, only the things I need or will use. Over all I'm not found of Dwemer ruins. I hate falmer, though at this point they are not hard. I don't like having to do all the Dwemer ruins, most are too long and I have no interest in them.
I think you've hit on something. I am enjoying the game so much more now that I don't pick up everything to sell. Honestly, what am I going to do with 500K septims - throw another wedding in Solitude and give everybody a bonus? I do have a tendency to collect clothing and vampire armour though (have to have a set in every colour). :)

Daelon DuLac

To be honest I have a rule when it comes to dungeons. Only one. If I'm scouting around or looking for Ore or just trying to update my map, often I come across a Dungeon. And it's very simple, if I don't have any reason to go in there... I don't.

As far as the Dungeon design and such... I really don't have a problem with it. Granted some Dungeons take too long, however this does not make them boring necessarily. While I do enjoy running a Dwarven ruin or two, I also think the Ayleid ruins were pretty awesome from Oblivion.

Alot of times for me, (seeing how I always go Hardcore in every game) for me, it isn't the Dungeon as much as surviving the High lvl enemies in said Dungeon. Because for me to enter any Dungeon, there's a reason why I'm there. Usually a pretty good one too, so the stakes are high and the prize is sometimes very difficult to obtain.

Perhaps that says it best. Forget the Dungeon, Dungeon's aren't supposed to be pleasant (Diablo 2). You want a challenging difficulty (and a reason to be there) to make exploring the Dungeon actually worth it.
I'm kind of looking forward to their releasing the entire TES series on PS4 in 2015. I hear so many cool things about the older games and really want to try them, but, I can't seem to find them for PS3. :sadface: (P.S.: I'm not going to do them on my computer. I spend enough time on my console. If I used a computer too, I'd be calling in sick every other day! :))

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
The Dungeons are one of the main reasons I still play Skyrim after all of these hours haha. I personally love them and don't think they are too long.

Daelon DuLac

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies

Daelon DuLac

Yes, but then what do you do with all the Husks?

Who cares? Drop em at the exit... trade them to the soul that deals weapons just past the big wall, keep them, eat them, whatever. Point is to mark where you have been so you don't waste time.
Touchy, touchy! I was just making a joke. Sorry. :)

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Yes, but then what do you do with all the Husks?

Who cares? Drop em at the exit... trade them to the soul that deals weapons just past the big wall, keep them, eat them, whatever. Point is to mark where you have been so you don't waste time.
Touchy, touchy! I was just making a joke. Sorry. :)

Sorry... been dealing with Fallout people lately. That's a tough crowd. Didn't mean to come off smarmy.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
It's sad seeing how many said the Forgotten Vale wasn't worth it... have you (SPOILERS AHEAD, HIDE YER CHILDREN N LOCK YER DOORS) fought the two Dragons in the ice lake? That boss fight was enough for me to get a hard-on... Just saying.

I LOVE the forgotten Vale! The animals with their pretty pelts, the frost giants and their paragons, the dragons... it's all epic. And it's such a beautiful place, I almost feel bad killing stuff there...
By the time I get to the vale, I usually just Kyne's peace all the kitties. I prefer them with their pelts on and it's not like you can get anything special in the way of armor appearance fro them. As I said, the giants and the paragons are cool and be double teamed by dragons from under the water is cool, but, other than that, I just get tired of endless trecks and endless falmer. Maybe I just bore easily. :)

I try not to kill the kitties and deer, I do find a lot of pelts near the frost giants camps though and I swipe them. They look pretty stacked in a pile in my house. I never smith with them.

Jo'rak Vandeni

Jurrrl o' Sweden
I LOVE the forgotten Vale! The animals with their pretty pelts, the frost giants and their paragons, the dragons... it's all epic. And it's such a beautiful place, I almost feel bad killing stuff there...
By the time I get to the vale, I usually just Kyne's peace all the kitties. I prefer them with their pelts on and it's not like you can get anything special in the way of armor appearance fro them. As I said, the giants and the paragons are cool and be double teamed by dragons from under the water is cool, but, other than that, I just get tired of endless trecks and endless falmer. Maybe I just bore easily. :)

I try not to kill the kitties and deer, I do find a lot of pelts near the frost giants camps though and I swipe them. They look pretty stacked in a pile in my house. I never smith with them.

I can't bear to ruin the nature in that vale, so I just grab the already dead ones, I thought they disappeared after a while in your house, so I never dropped them :O

Think my best immersive moment is from Forgotten Vale as well... I just reached it, and got my first glimpse of the whole vale, and I saw a pack of 4-5 deer grazing below. Suddenly a sabrecat just leaps at them, the deer scatter and run, and the sabre cat chases after, until it leaps onto one of the deer... it was so awesome!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

I can't bear to ruin the nature in that vale, so I just grab the already dead ones, I thought they disappeared after a while in your house, so I never dropped them :O

Think my best immersive moment is from Forgotten Vale as well... I just reached it, and got my first glimpse of the whole vale, and I saw a pack of 4-5 deer grazing below. Suddenly a sabrecat just leaps at them, the deer scatter and run, and the sabre cat chases after, until it leaps onto one of the deer... it was so awesome!

I love those little touches of the natural world you sometimes witness. I sometimes think I should help the animal being attacked, but then, like in real life, predators have to eat as well.

And no, the pelts do not disappear. They make nice decorations with their green glow. I usually stack them in the entry foyer of my Hearthfire house.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Hmmm nope.

There is a very good variety of short, medium and long (and really long) dungeons in Skyrim in my opinion. The problems start to arise when you have it set in your mind that you want to be in and out in a certain amount of time. I like to experience all of the dungeon or cave or lair and I take my time doing so, even if it means saving halfway through to complete it another day.

Dont get me wrong, there have definetly been times when Ive just wanted to get it over with but than I try and remember: 'Its the journey, not the destination that is important'.

As for variety in the types of dungeons, I think Skyrim is exceptional in the way they have tried to keep them fairly fresh and original. Play Dragon Age 2 if you want to complain about repition of dungeons. The game has maybe 50dungeons but it uses the same 10-15 EXACT layouts over and over. And your lucky to have different enemies! (these arnt exact numbers).

I LOVE the Forgotten Vale
I LOVE Blackreach
I LOVE the Soul Cairn

:D

sticky runes

The Dwemer ruins are normally too long, and they're always the same:

Fight a bunch of robots
Avoid some traps
Go deeper
Fight a chaurus or two
Fight some Falmer
Fight a centurion

and the black reach is a pain in the ass - you definitely don't wanna do that one until you've acquired your own house or room with a personal chest.

I think most of the Draugr dungeons are quite short, though. they are repetitive, with similar layouts, but you can normally rely on them for a word wall, and I do like to be creative with some banish undead spells.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)

I love those little touches of the natural world you sometimes witness. I sometimes think I should help the animal being attacked, but then, like in real life, predators have to eat as well.

And no, the pelts do not disappear. They make nice decorations with their green glow. I usually stack them in the entry foyer of my Hearthfire house.

Thanks for the info on the pelts.

Although, I do wish you could make special armor with them. When I first gathered those pelts, I thought, "Holy plops that's awesome, I bet you can make some kind of unique armor with them. Can't wait till I get back to the smithing forge!"

And then that's when I was deeply disappointed, unless I'm missing something, which happens a lot.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

Thanks for the info on the pelts.

Although, I do wish you could make special armor with them. When I first gathered those pelts, I thought, "Holy pl*** that's awesome, I bet you can make some kind of unique armor with them. Can't wait till I get back to the smithing forge!"

And then that's when I was deeply disappointed, unless I'm missing something, which happens a lot.

No worries. Unfortunately they do not make any special armour. If you tan them they just turn into regular old leather. It's a pity.

Daelon DuLac

True, the don't disappear, but don't ya think they'd be nicer on the actual animals? Maybe if I could create neon leather & use it, sure, but, me, I'd rather the kitties keep their fur. :)

Caideus

The Soul Cairn, or the Forgotten Vale.... long dungeons don't bother me at all. And the ending quest line to kill Mercer, I actually enjoy that one every time I do it. I get into it. To be a little honest though, I'm a bit sad that there's no one massive dwemer ruin that runs across Skyrim, like one long ass hallway. Blackreach is alright with me as well, and wih what has been said. I do agree though, that these dungeons need more story telling, more of a personal feel to them.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
In short, I find the ancient Nord ruins to be the most fascinating. Especially the ones that are visible and impressive from a distance. Battling my way up the massive stone stairs, I work up a sense of anticipation for whats inside. Or Forelhost, which looks like nothing from the outside, yet is impressive from within. Perhaps it is because I feel as though I'm striding the paths of my ancient Nord ancestors. Perhaps some of the Draugr I hack down like weeds are related to me! No matter, the reanimated bodies are but husks, who's souls have been feasting and drinking in Sovngarde for centuries.

I do not find much enjoyment within the ruins of the Dwemer, breaking their ancient toys of malice.

Daelon DuLac

In short, I find the ancient Nord ruins to be the most fascinating. Especially the ones that are visible and impressive from a distance. Battling my way up the massive stone stairs, I work up a sense of anticipation for whats inside. Or Forelhost, which looks like nothing from the outside, yet is impressive from within. Perhaps it is because I feel as though I'm striding the paths of my ancient Nord ancestors. Perhaps some of the Draugr I hack down like weeds are related to me! No matter, the reanimated bodies are but husks, who's souls have been feasting and drinking in Sovngarde for centuries.

I do not find much enjoyment within the ruins of the Dwemer, breaking their ancient toys of malice.
I'm just the opposite. While some of the Nordic ruins are indeed impressive, it just seems like the same thing over and over and over again, especially the mowing down of wave after wave after wave of the walking dead (funny, but those soulless guys always give me a soul to put in one of my gems!). I very much prefer the Dwemer ruins. Between the automatons, the Falmer, the spiders, the Chaurus (of all varieties) and all the traps, puzzles and mazes, I always have a good time. Plus I always get better loot from them than from any of the Nordic ruins.

Bira96

Yes, yes, and triple yes! I dread searching for the elder scroll in the main questline, because it is SOO BORING! It's nice to read the NPC's diaries and follow along a "connect the dots" story, but it's not enough to save this painful experience. I hate fighting the falmer with a passion, always swarming me and using their stupid poisons on me. Add that to an already dreadfully long and boring (I mean, it would be interesting since they look so unique, but they just kind of repeat themselves after awhile) dwemer ruins, and you got me shuddering every time I go near the place. If there's any single or misc. quest that requires going through a dwemer ruin, you can bet that I have NEVER completed it. Poor Mjoll is still waiting for me to collect her sword...
It's a shame too, since Blackreach is so beautiful and worth exploring, but by the time I reach it, I just want it to be over with. I've always ran through it as fast as I could, ignoring all the effort and time the developers put into such a gorgeous place. Seriously, I would enjoy these dungeons a lot more if they weren't so long! Bethesda, save some of the data for the wilderness, the place I actuality want to explore, please! It's good to vent with people who understand my frustration!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts