PC Do you prefer a controller?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer a controller to play Skyrim?

• Total voters

Redscallion

Enchanter of Toothpicks
I don't have enough money to buy a computer, let alone one that can play Skyrim, so i stick with a controller. Oh yeah. I've discoverd it's not a good idea to play thief with your sound off, and the tiny bit of lag on a pc makes it so i always miss my arrow.

Redscallion

Enchanter of Toothpicks
I tried using my X-box 360 controller the first time I played Skyrim and it was just horrible. The right stick was turning my head so fast and it was so hard to look at what I wanted to that I started to get motion-sickness for swinging the view around all over the place.
Just turn the sensitivity down

Kuurus

I don't have enough money to buy a computer, let alone one that can play Skyrim, so i stick with a controller. Oh yeah. I've discoverd it's not a good idea to play thief with your sound off, and the tiny bit of lag on a pc makes it so i always miss my arrow.
The question is IF you are playing on a PC, which do you use. If you're playing on Xbox or PS there really isn't much of a question how you're playing, lol.

I think the results of this poll are way out of whack with a bunch of votes such as this. There's no way a majority of people playing the game on a PC prefer a controller. I believe some do, but not even close to a majority.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

Sure, most PC gamers are used to keyboard and mouse. And it is quite a skill for the uninitiated. I play PC games and console games but my personal preference for Skyrim is controller, it just feels more intrinsic to me. I like to pull a trigger button, not click a mouse.

Blackst0rm

Keyboard n Mouse.

Arthur Dragon Born

Breton Mage
Key Board and Mouse for me! I suck at using the controller especially when it comes to FPS games. But for other games, I'm usually ok. I have a PS2 but don't use it that much. Guess I got used to using the keyboard and mouse. :)

Curious Mew

I'm curious!
I play on the 360, and i see some major improvements that could be done to that D-pad. It hurts sometimes, how could they not get creative with that D-pad!? It drives me nuts.

Tap 'up' for weaponry, 'down' for magic, 'left' for armor, and 'right' for items!!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I got REALLY tired of accidentally hitting the ~ key, which brings up the console, while i was trying to hit Tab, which is just below the ~ on my laptop, so I recently invested in the Logitech G13 gameboard and a Sharkoon Fireglider gaming mouse.

The G13 is an excellent bit of kit, the best things about it for me being the ergonomic shape and the very nice thumbstick, which is not an analogue stick but works well to trigger movement keys. So, I use the stick for movement and the mouse for looking, aiming and attacking , and have all the keys on the gamepad for hotkeys, the most-often-used activate (E) key, pause, inventory, quick favourites, etc.

It has made a big difference, and so has the gaming mouse. I can now keep the laptop on a stand and not have to trash its keyboard. And I can actually aim accurately now, and strafe around enemies while hitting them without too many misses.

Wolfchant

i prefer playing with a controller, though not a whole lot more than the KB/M combo, as the hotkeys become quite invaluable in certain situations, however, with a controller i spend alot less time against the wall right next to the door im trying to go through but missed cause i only have 4 choices of movement direction at any given time, this became a more frequent occurance when trying to fit a werewolf through a small door, in some cases hitting one side of the door, and then the other side of the door when attempting to correct the first hit, LOL

Wraith

Gamepad, no question.

For me the primary reason is CTS, Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, Gamepad simply hurts less. In all honesty though, I'd use gamepads regardless. Sure the mouse is excellent for fine precision movement, but the keyboard is sad for the movement component. Eventually you will naturally overcome the mouse/gamepad difference through simple repitition and practice, but no amount of practice can make the keyboard move smoother.

For Skyrim, I do wish they had a better hotkey system, the fact that left and right on the D pad are unused most of the time is a crime.

Oh and I use the Xbox controller...I got big hands the teeny tiny Playstation design is too darn small.

I use my ACU camo PS3 controller for my PC gaming version of Skyrim, as I first played it on PS3 so I am used to using PS3 controller, just had to get used to shoulder keys being reversed so it works, I use Motionjoy for those of you who need a good software for controller-using.

skyrimaddict1323

Dovahkiin1323
You guys make good points and Zephlar, I was wondering if anyone would think of that idea ^^ Also, I DESPISE Xbox. lol. And by the way of errors, consoles barely get any :3 Except maybe Xbox, because their design is so crappy... RED RING OF FREAKING DEATH??!! WTF?! PS3 never fail :)

If i recall correctly (don't quote me on this) the first release of ps3 was recalled because they had this little habit of catching on fire.

On 360 slim, red ring no longer exists.

Furthermore, i havent had a single glitch on my 360 that doesn't occur on both consoles and PC

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Eventually you will naturally overcome the mouse/gamepad difference through simple repitition and practice, but no amount of practice can make the keyboard move smoother.

This has been discussed extensively on the internet and the consensus is the opposite, that is, no amount of practice can make the gamepad aiming smoother, whereas the keyboard mouse combo can be learned.

This is why serious online competitive FPS games have different leagues for gamepad players and m&k players. :)
And it's why serious players almost all use m&K - but this isn't a point to argue over. If you can repeatedly rapidly & accurately place the crosshair on a target using a gamepad, you're one of the lucky few, because the xbox360 controller is ergonomically perfect and definitely much easier on the hands.

I may have said it earlier, the perfect controller would be an x360 gamepad with the right (or left) stick replaced by a high-res trackball. Let's hope the big boys will see the light and make this the new standard controler for 3D games.

The poll is meaningless because console players have voted, by the way ....

I mostly game on my pc and, usually, I try my best to use an xbox controller to play games. I tried it when I first got Skyrim and found that the keyboard and mouse were actually a lot more comfortable. I mean, alt instead of shift to run? Genius! But yeah, I feel like the keyboard layout is great in Skyrim, so that's what I prefer. Only thing I dislike is accidentally triggering walking with the caps button, but that can easily be changed in the controls menu.

I prefer my 360 because number 1 my laptop is a piece of shist and I thought that pc gamers only existed in the movies until I was 7 :sadface: sad I know. I am now 13 and I am all xbox 360 and I am a lvl 23 dark elf mage were wolf, as said in my username

ConGamer

I use the FragFX nunchuck and mouse controller from splitfish to play Skyrim on my PC. Also I us the same controllers for my Xbox, so I don't adjust between controller, mouse and keyboard.
For me the best solution.

Soar Tueth

This thread is a little confusing. Are there actually people who bought Skyrim twice--once for Xbox and again for PC? Or are the comparisons between the previous Oblivion game on other platform? Or can I take my DVD disk for XBox and play it on my PC?

As technology advances, PCs are surpassing the XBox 360, especially as you can pay 2 to 6 times as much for the latest offering, while the XBox advancements are limited to hard disk drives and Kinect. Graphics cards are very well driven by consumer demand. My latest Dell XPS can do 3-D, if I had a capable monitor. I bet the graphics look great. I have a home theater, big screen Hi-def TV, with the 5.1 sound, altho wife asks I use head phones. The apparent image from the easy chair is half as big as my 28" computer monitor that's an arm's length away. I'm talking myself into moving my system to my desk.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts