PC Do you prefer a controller?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer a controller to play Skyrim?

• Total voters

dehnoe

Dragon Rapist!! -_-
Where can i get a controler ? i prefer controler, but i have only played with the keybord because i dont have one, my niggas.

Get a controller from either a dick smith jb hi if or an ab games or game blah blah blah just get an Xbox 360 controller plug it in (if it's not wireless) and then play its much easier to play using one (also I'm using my iPad so if the text is muddled up blame the iPad)

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I generally prefer using the most excellent xbox360 controller to avoid RSI but I may have to switch to keyboard & trackball soon as aiming is hard with the gamepad and combat is really lame, i'm usually missing the target and swinging at thin air while enemies pwn me.

Daggers

Controller.

I don't know about you guys but when I play with the mouse and keyboard, Enchanting gets weird. When I say weird I mean that when scrolling up and down (Disenchant, Enchantment, Soul Gem, etc) the background screen showing my character leaning down towards the enchanter will change to a background of just the enchanter. After enchanting, my screen would still be just a view of the enchanter close-up and I wouldn't be able to move for about 20-30 seconds. This gets really annoying.

tl;dr Controller because scrolling and W and S is buggy.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
The ability to bind unique spells/items to keys on the keyboard make it infinately better than a controller. Heck you can plug in a controller and use the keyboard at the same time.

er, not sure about that. You have to go into options to switch to one or the other- you can't use them both, unfortunately.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I really wish somebody would make a gamepad with a trackball replacing the right analog stick... here's an idea, if anybody cares to implement it!

Phenom

I never played Skyrim on the PC, but from my experience with MMOs, Hotkeys never been my strongpoint. So I prefer the controller.

Kristopher Williams

Where the f***f is the microwave?
I've been both a PC gamer and console gamer for years, I really can't say which I've played more. When it comes down to it, the keyboard and mouse is just all around better. Aiming with the mouse is hands down easier, and more precise, and the keyboard just has a million fluffing keys with several different ways of setting up a basic scheme. I tend to stick with the conventional WASD method... ahh the comfort of the keyboard.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
After nearly smashing the controller to bits, i've switched to keyboard and mouse and discovered how hotkeys and a good mouse can finally make combat somewhat more enjoyable by allowing me to reduce combat interruptions and menu navigation, and to aim accurately either with ranged attacks or with melee weaponry.

Lets face it, action and combat mechanics in Skyrim SUCK compared to other games, eg Batman Arkham City or Assassin's Creed 2.
You just cannot fight well with a gamepad if there is no aiming auto-lock. In Skyrim's melee combat, if your crosshair is not touching the enemy, you will not make a hit. Simply facing the enemy is not enough. You cannot move a crosshair/cursor onscreen accurately with an analogue stick - no matter how much you practice, mouse control will always be far far superior.

That IS the bottom line on this matter.

Also, panning the camera around with the gamepad is very slow, even with sensitivity raised to 3 times the maximum, via the .ini file,and it seems to reduce the game's framerate too. The sticks are just too small , and raising the sensitivity even more makes it impossible to aim accurately as you cannot make small adjustments .

Now what we need is a mod for more hotkeys , with the ability to assign potions to them! Having to interrupt combat to navigate manus and locate the right potion, and not poison, is a MAJOR PITA.

Kristopher Williams

Where the f***f is the microwave?
I completely agree with your opinion on the keyboard & mouse vs controller. Also, yes, constantly I'm frustrated with the ridiculous nature of having to halt combat to rummage through an endless list of potions (unfortunately I'm an alchemist to the max, can't not pick up ingredients) and locate the exact one you want. The keyboard has how many fluffing keys?! Hotkeying would be fluffing great.

vTranquil

I personally prefer a good old fashion keyboard and mouse, I just feel I have more control over the character, however this is just for some games. ( skyrim especially ) but when I'm playing other games.such as an fps I prefer a controller. :p

BlazerBoi

Although I had Morrowind and Oblivion on PC, I changed over to the PS3 for Skyrim. I have just become more accustomed to the feel of the controller, and I tend to have a better experience when using the controllers. Maybe it is because I am purely a console gamer these days, but my vote is with the joypad.

It might also be due to the fact that my PC is about 8 years old... :cool:

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I completely agree with your opinion on the keyboard & mouse vs controller. Also, yes, constantly I'm frustrated with the ridiculous nature of having to halt combat to rummage through an endless list of potions (unfortunately I'm an alchemist to the max, can't not pick up ingredients) and locate the exact one you want. The keyboard has how many f***ing keys?! Hotkeying would be f***ing great.

You can have 8 hotkeys , open favourites, select an item, press a key from 1 to 8 to assign, press again to un-assign.

There is a mod for more Hotkeys at Skyrim Nexus, and the wonderful Auto-potion mod, highly recommended. Automatically uses your potions when your health/magicka/stamina run low, configurable. Works great, with in-game notifications of what was used, and triggers the potion effect animations.

Jeff31

Premium Member
I use a xbox360 controller, well I have a xbox so lol. It's so easy to use a controller rather than a keyboard.

Kuurus

I definitely prefer the keyboard. I use a Logitech G15 and bind multiple keystrokes to the gaming keys. I find it quite useful. For example, I have my shield on 1 in the quick keys menu and a healing spell on 5. I bind the sequence 5 5 1 to one of the gaming keys so that with 1 keystroke instead of 3, I instantly end up with my healing spell in my right hand and the shield still in my left, allowing me to heal without losing the armor of the shield or the ability to block.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
Playing Skyrim on both PS3 and PC, I find keyboard and mouse easier for combat and the controller for moving around. So I'd go with preferring keyboard and mouse but still playing both because it's addictive.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I've actually never used a controller in my life. The only console I've ever owned is a Wii and I'm not incredibly fond of it (it was bought more for my sister anyway). Playing with a mouse and a keyboard just feels more intuitive to me because I've been doing it for so long. If I ever get a console and sit down with it for a while, it could probably become second nature to me too. But until then the entire concept of a controller is alien to me. What I do know is that I like playing Skyrim on my PC. I can just take it up to my room and play for hours without usurping the only TV in the house.

BSE

Id go with controller, but thats probably because Im used to it. Ive been playing consoles my whole life, so it just feels natural.

With regards to hotkeys, sure, having 1-8 hotkeys is great, except tht my memory blows and Id end up pressing the wrong one half the time.

I'd like to try, using the mouse for precision aiming, and a controller in my other hand for more movement axis, vibration, and analog control for lock picking... Failing that I'd probably just use keyboard and mouse.

Haven't gotten around to upgrading from my PS3 version to a PC one yet... Had originally planned to buy the PC version, but was given the PS3 for Christmas.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts