1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

PC Do you prefer a controller?

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Renegader, Nov 12, 2011.

?

Do you prefer a controller to play Skyrim?

1. Yes.

60.6%
  2. Nope. Keyboard and mouse ftw!

39.4%
  1. lucid-dreaming

lucid-dreaming Active Member

i suck at controllers so, i use mouse and keyboard all the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    lizardisok: 4 Points (Best) Jun 4, 2015
  2. shadowkitty

shadowkitty Mistress of Shadows

Well Now that I am on PC I can say for sure that I prefer a controller. I really cant get my head around mouse and keyboard. I use M&K for character creation, but go back to Controller for game play.

I DO use M&K for other games though, like Sims.

3. Centarius

Centarius New Member

I grew up on a controller, just recently in the past years started to use a mouse and keyboard. I like both for different things.

4. Willow

Willow Member

I just recently started playing Skyrim again and switched from Xbox to a computer. I'm running it on a Mac through wineskin. At first it was really weird playing with the keyboard and track pad, but now I'm used to it and would probably find it hard to play with a controller again. I might try to plug one in though just to see how it is.

5. Secunda_

Secunda_ The Dragon Knight

While a controller is compatible, I personally use a keyboard and mouse as it works with SkyUI better.

6. 01ccook

01ccook New Member

The original UI is definitely designed for a controller, but the SkyUI mod is designed with a keyboard in mind. I find that it's easy enough to play with a controller and use a keyboard at the same time when you are tinkering with your inventory. I would prefer to use a mouse and keyboard all the time, but I use a laptop and I often don't have access to a desk, which can make it tricky to use a mouse.

7. Easton

Easton New Member

Exactly this. If I have to use vanilla UI, I use a controller. Otherwise, I use K&M controls. Maybe I'm just stupid, but archery on the controller seems really unnecessarily difficult/complicated. I'm much better with a controller.

Oh, there's also a really important K&M mod, I don't remember what it's called. Better Dialogue maybe? It's the one that lets you both scroll to a dialogue option and click on one. Really important UI change.

8. ZeroDragon

ZeroDragon Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.

When I see written - I grew up on a controller - damn I start feeling old.

9. rz3300

rz3300 New Member

I really like using the controller a hole lot more than the keyboard and a mouse. It just works better for me and it is so much easier to roam around, which is really what I enjoy doing in the game. They are a little expensive, though, which is always a downer, but in my opinion it is well worth it. Once you use a controller you cannot really go back.

10. raze1907

raze1907 New Member

Nah, I prefer mouse & keyboard. I don't really use controllers in general except for a racing game now and then where they are almost mandatory for a good experience.

11. Joanner1210

Joanner1210 New Member

As a PC gamer of course i prefer using keyboard and mouse. there's a lot of shortcut keys like autosaving and other stuff but in my opinion controller is more realistic than keyboard and mouse. but still pc gaming all the way because i already get used to it. :D

12. chobo

chobo New Member

I've personally always had difficulties using a controller in adventure/combat games.
    I do prefer controllers in some circumstances though. Although, during my time playing Skyrim I used a controller once and it felt very strange.
    I know both devices have their pros and cons, but it ultimately comes down to user preference in a game like this that does not require quick turns or twitch reflexes.
    Although, I will admit that I did come to enjoy using a keyboard for Fallout 4, but maybe that's because it had guns...

13. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Member

I personally prefer the Keyboard+Mouse over a controller. For me, it just feels... right, I guess. And don't forget, shortcuts for everything, from spell switching to saving the game when you're in a pinch!;)

14. aquaticneko

aquaticneko New Member

I definitely prefer the controller for most games that will allow it. I just find the using my controller to be more relaxing. In my opinion, I'm better with the controller than I am with the keyboard. It seems more immersed to me. Many people mention the archery skill. I don't like using bows, yes call me stupid. I much prefer magic and usually will go mage in Skyrim. It's pretty cool to have Lydia hack away at them tanking for her life when I'm back there firing away at them from a distance.

15. Davian

Davian Member

I could never get my head around how to do the precise, coordinated movement you need to do to not only move your character but rotate their point of view with mouse and keyboard. It ruined the whole experience for me when I tried it. Analogue sticks and control pad for the win.

16. erook7878

erook7878 Member

I prefer a controller for most games. I play games mostly on the console, but for skyrim, I prefer the keyboard. That is how I started playing the game and that's what I'm so used to at this point.

17. SuperiorCallz

SuperiorCallz New Member

No way. I used to play solely on console so I preferred controllers, but the day I manned up and switched to PC, I realized that keyboard and mouse is superior on every single game, other than that Two Brothers game, haha.

18. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury New Member

Absolutely not for me. In the keyboard, you can easily assign 8 different keys for your chosen skill and weapon favorites, and the mouse aiming is incredibly accurate compared to what the controller can provide. I really don't think controllers were meant for first person games, maybe for racing games and fighting games, where you would need specific combos from its very limited button configurations, but for a massive game like Skyrim, playing with the controller means you would be missing out on a lot.

19. JusApee

JusApee New Member

I can't play with controllers. Definitely not! I'll stick with my keyboard and mouse and I'll still get them with me in my grave. I've never had a console so I don't have the experience to handle a controller and besides that, I can barely move the camera with a controller. Get a mouse, everything gets too easy! :D

20. skyrrimepi

skyrrimepi New Member

I have a high rig desktop computer and I have been playing Skyrim on PC since it was first launched. Well, I have never bothered about the consoles. I always use mouse and keyboard for playing. My fingers have been habituated on the keyboards. So, I prefer a PC over a console.