PC Do you prefer a controller?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer a controller to play Skyrim?

• Total voters

Brandie

the sassy mage
I could never get used to the mouse and keyboard. I've tried but can't. I started Skyrim on the xbox, but moved to the PC so I'm more used the the controller. The screen size difference isn't a problem. I just take my monitor cord off my desktop pc and connect my laptop to my TV so it feels like it's on the console lol

JoeReese

Well, I used to say no. I played Medal of Honor a LOT, always with mouse and keys. When I got Skyrim, it was for PS3 (got the PS3 the same birthday) so I'd only ever known controller Skryim.
I always thought to myself "man, I'm gonna be that much better when I get my pc." Well, I got my pc and learned I really stink at trying to control Skyrim with it, so now I use a usb controller. D'oh.

DestroyerDevourMaster

"Zu'u Alduin. Zok sahrot do naan ko Lein!"
In truth I've never used a keyboard simply because I play other XBox games like Halo and using a controller has become the norm for me. I just can't see myself making the transition, though the mods available make it pretty tempting sometimes.

ShadowHunter

I actually prefer mouse and keyboard, to me it is a lot easier to move your character around. Plus the Mods make the game 10x better and it also seems like the waiting time when you enter a cave or something is slightly lower

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
My movements are a lot more fluid when I use a controller, therefore I prefer using a controller.

RockBoyEmy

Well, as far as I can see, I think I am the only one around here that prefers the keyboard and mouse a looooooot more over the controller. Ok, I have to admit that I have always played on a pc since I know myself, buuuuut I can also say that I have not only tried, but also used consoles a lot, and I just cannot get used to the controller. Over time I have gained a great accuracy and acquaintance also with the controller (so people cannot say anymore that "you don't like the controller because you're not good with it") but still, I prefer the keyboard and mouse. For me, it's everything in the movement: especially in fps games (but in general every first person games, thus obviously skyrim too), turning your body left or right has to be realistic. If there's danger behind me and I want to be fast in turning to see what's going on and maybe to counter-attack or defend myself, the mouse (I repeat, this is so for me) is the best option. With it you can move it fast and in less than a second you face the enemy behind you. This is also in real life: you want to look behind, you turn immediately. With the controller joystick, you have to spin the 180 degrees, waiting for your body to make that circular movement in-game, with the speed that obviously the joystick allows. Of course, someone may say that you can simply raise the joystick sensitivity. True, but then for small, precise movements or aiming, it becomes very difficult to move the analog stick by one nanometer in order to have a not-too-wide movement. With the mouse though, if you are able to turn quickly by moving it quickly, moving it slowly allows you for slow and precise aiming, or as for skyrim, enjoying the fantastic panoramas while walking on a mountain road in the Falkreath hold :p
Well, sorry guys for the long post, actually my first one here in this forum. Great to see you all guys here, cheers!

adrian-smith31

Argonian
I use a controller as the control system is designed for it. As a PC gamer I always use a keyboard and mouse for FPS games and complex RPG's but Skyrim's simplified interface makes using a controller better.

The second reason is Skyrim is a game you play for many hours and I prefer to play in comfort on the sofa with it running on my TV. Playing it in front of my monitor with K/B + mouse will result in a numb backside and backache for me.

JoeReese

My movements are a lot more fluid when I use a controller, therefore I prefer using a controller.
I need to get a newer/different controller I think. I definitely can't handle the keyboard, as I keep selling things I don't mean to sell, attacking when I want to talk, etc., but my old (ancient) logitech controller seems too tight. It's like, you gently move the stick, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing...too much!!!

The PS3 controller, which I'm unfortunately not able to use with my pc, is much smoother in feel and seems to react with more precision to my movements.

adrian-smith31

Argonian
The PS3 controller, which I'm unfortunately not able to use with my pc, is much smoother in feel and seems to react with more precision to my movements.

The PS3 controller will work on a PC (well Windows 7 at least) as I use one on mine. You have to use the motion in joy DS3 tool and unofficial drivers plus do some registry hacking to enable you to install unsigned drivers. It has to be connected via USB though. It's said it will work with bluetooth but I've been unable to get that to work.

JoeReese

Hmm...sounds tempting, but I'm not at the level where I could confidently fiddle with things. I'd be too afraid I'll kill my computer. TY though...it's something to look into, if I can figure out a way to make it reversible.

Lucid

The PS3 controller will work on a PC (well Windows 7 at least) as I use one on mine. You have to use the motion in joy DS3 tool and unofficial drivers plus do some registry hacking to enable you to install unsigned drivers. It has to be connected via USB though. It's said it will work with bluetooth but I've been unable to get that to work.

I like the hand-feel of PS3 controllers best, but I couldn't work out the latency and general bugginess in the Windows environment. I found an XBOX360 controller with a wireless USB dongle is more precise and reliable. This isn't a universal truth of course, merely an anecdote.

Lucid

After playing TESO beta this weekend with keyboard and mouse, I'm reminded that I really, really, really prefer a controller. Muchly.

Darkjedi

I love playing games with an controller now. I grew up with consoles but turned into just a PC gamer in the late 90's, and I played with the keyboard and mouse for years before I bought my first Xbox 360 controller for windows. Now I would much rather play with that then just with the keyboard and mouse.

Stoshe160

I use xbox360 controller on my PC, and I like it since I don't have to sit at computer to play.
I don't like aiming thouh, and xbox360 dpad is way too sensitive :sadface:

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
I use xbox360 controller on my PC, and I like it since I don't have to sit at computer to play.
I don't like aiming thouh, and xbox360 dpad is way too sensitive :sadface:

Agree...especially about the aiming part. I have noticed that sometimes the left joystick...well...'sticks' a bit when trying to line up the cursor for a long range shot or whatever. Might be time for me to clean it or just get a new controller.

JoeReese

I agree. I use an older model, wired Logitech with the PC. The controls are a bit less precise than the PS3 controller. Nothing, nothing, nothing, too much! Aiming has become just a series of decreasing overcompensation, until I'm finally on target.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I prefer a mouse and keyboard for two reasons:

1. More available hotkey slots
2. Easier to aim magic and arrows/bolts

Rune

Definitely my Xbox 360 controller... I don't usually use it for PC games, but when I do play Skyrim on PC I use my wired third party controller. It works great for both PC and Xbox (obvs) and I'm content.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts