PC Do you prefer a controller?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer a controller to play Skyrim?

• Total voters

TheGreenMage12201

I prefer the mouse and keyboard. I can never get used to the controller.

ShadowHunter

I have played Skyrim on both PC and PS3, I prefer the controller simply because it is easier to control. Though once you get used to the keyboard/mouse it is pretty simple

Daucus

I prefer to play with a controller for skyrim. Easier to navigate the menus. Bioshock infinite is another game I enjoyed playing with a controller. Most other games it's mouse and keyboard.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
I played the 360 version with a controller first, so when I got the PC version, my natural choice was to use a controller again.. I can't get used to using a mouse and keyboard :sadface:

ADD1CTED GAM3R

Personally, I prefer a controller. I'm relatively new to PC Gaming, having played on consoles my entire life, so I'm still not used to using the mouse and keyboard for anything other than navigating and typing things like this post, haha. So, for now, until I've had some practice with my keyboard and mouse, I'm using my controller, which is a wired Xbox 360 controller. Who knows; once I get better with the keyboard and mouse, I might still use the controller, just because I'm so used to it. Obviously I still need the keyboard for any console commands that I may end up using, but other than that, I might enjoy the controller more for this particular gaming application.

ClarenceWorley

Been a pc and console gamer for over 20 years and, for me k/b and mouse win every time. Definitely for fps's but as already mentioned hot keys make the difference with rpg's etc.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Kiindovah

Gray-Mane ftw.
My character is a level 42 dark elf, Nightingale, Guild Master and Listener for the DB, as you can tell, I like to use sneaky character builds such as thieves and assassins, sneaking and sneak rolling and archery are much easier to do with a controller, so yea, definitely controller.

Dr. Pheel

heavily armored khajiit battlemage
Well, it depends on the game. I used to play this with keyboard and mouse, but then I gave the controller a shot, and it felt much more fluent. the only games I don't play with a controller are first person shooters. I play third person games with a controller, and some first person games like skyrim. Although I play Fallout with keyboard and mouse.

Slijkster

The problem for me with the controller is that you cannot change camera direction very quickly. Yes, you can increase your control sensitivity, but then things like archery would become more difficult. Also, after playing a game or two with the keyboard, I found that strafing at more shallow angles is easily achieved, and there is less room for error in changing the direction you move.

For me the only plus with a controller is the vibrate. Only time I use the controller is with shooters.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
If I'm playing a game that requires delicate movements, or fluid motions, controller. If it has a lot of features and requires alot of buttons, or an rts, Mouse and keyboard

I play Skyrim on the console but I still voted as a yes because knowing what I know now, I'd still use a controller if I decide to purchase the game for my PC. I find it convenient, that simple, really. :D

Matsuu

Master of Sword and Shield
Two years ago, I would have raged about how ridiculous and unfriendly I thought the kbnm were. Now, having used them for a few games, especially for fp and even some tp games, I can't argue for the controller. The controller offers convenience, but ultimately I find the controller a lot more restricting. And the mouse has such a better camera movement translation than the joystick.

That's not to say I don't still play games with a controller; I play my XBOX regularly. But as someone who played Skyrim and Deus EX HR on both 'platforms', I firmly contend that the kbnm are better than the controller.

I will say this: Playing on a console is not bad at all. However, playing on the PC with a controller is awful for some games. This was the case when I tried my PC versions of Skyrim and DE:HR. The controller's fps lag was so horrendous in Skyrim, I switched back to my kbnm before I got out of the starting dungeon.

The controller wins in two specific instances:
A) Context-sensitive speed of motion, such as walking slower or faster depending on how far in a certain direction you press the joystick.
B) The same exact mechanic, but as regards using the triggers for acceleration or braking in racing/driving games.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Two years ago, I would have raged about how ridiculous and unfriendly I thought the kbnm were. Now, having used them for a few games, especially for fp and even some tp games, I can't argue for the controller. The controller offers convenience, but ultimately I find the controller a lot more restricting. And the mouse has such a better camera movement translation than the joystick.

That's not to say I don't still play games with a controller; I play my XBOX regularly. But as someone who played Skyrim and Deus EX HR on both 'platforms', I firmly contend that the kbnm are better than the controller.

I will say this: Playing on a console is not bad at all. However, playing on the PC with a controller is awful for some games. This was the case when I tried my PC versions of Skyrim and DE:HR. The controller's fps lag was so horrendous in Skyrim, I switched back to my kbnm before I got out of the starting dungeon.

The controller wins in two specific instances:
A) Context-sensitive speed of motion, such as walking slower or faster depending on how far in a certain direction you press the joystick.
B) The same exact mechanic, but as regards using the triggers for acceleration or braking in racing/driving games.

I agree completely. Although I feel that controller is better for third person games. Mouse and keyboard is better for just about everything else.

Lucid

I use an Xbox controller on my PC. I would prefer to use my PS3 controllers but I couldn't work out the bugginess.

I'm a keyboard/mouse jockey for 9-hours per day at work, and using a controller for gaming feels like a leisure activity.

Dovahkiir

I sit in an armchair as my PC is hooked up to the TV for gaming and the wireless keyboard and mouse just don't feel right, they work much better on a desk.

So I use my PS3 controller, usually wirelessly except when it needs charging. Its set up to emulate an Xbox controller and works perfectly.

The problem for me with the controller is that you cannot change camera direction very quickly.

On my controller at least it has 2 sensitivities, close to the centre its fairly slow, further out its very fast. I find I can flick around pretty darn quick and nail the target pretty accurately, and I do play as as archer, coincidentaly. I will say that the mouse has the edge over sensitivity, though.

I prefer the Keyboard and Mouse because I use it for all my games plus I feel it helps me look faster than with a controller. Another things is when I use the steamoverlay to look things up I find it easier not to have to put down the controller and type then picking it back up again and playing after pressing Shift+Tab. I know that sounds pretty lazy. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts