• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JClarke1953

Why is it that a couple of people post more than a few quite long articles, in the Discussion Forum, that have 0 to do with Skyrim? Their postings take up a huge amount of space, plus their spelling and grammar....?

It's very annoying to have to scroll past those "post's", and over to the next page in order to read posting's that are about Skyrim. This is the second time I saw this happen this week. I'm guessing because the poster's have difficulty spelling, maybe they cannot read where to put their post's?

JClarke1953

Tried that earlier this week when I saw that. Not allowed to "report" for some reason.

Anyhow, I'm not a moderator, so I'm unsure if it's my place to do that. It's why I said something in the Shoutbox, and in this Forum.

It just seems quite inconsiderate for them to do that.

Lucid

They're click-bait spam bots that post randomness (often snippets of legit news or topics) in attempts to get past the filters. It happens on most forums. Some have shut down because they couldn't get a solution in place, and spam outnumbered member posts.

Even well established, for-profit forums can't catch all of these in the filters, and rely on member feedback for help.
Report them all as spam and let the Admin team mop up the threads. And don't ever click on the embedded links.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
It's always your place to report a thread for any reason. That puts it in a queue for us so we can clean them up.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'll check to see if there's some kind of setting that's been messed up. However, I know the site has been glitchy in a few areas. Worst case, you are always welcome to PM me a link to the thread or any post in the thread (if you push the little # button to the left of the "like" button on the bottom of a post, it will pop up a window what has the link to copy).

But, the important thing to note is that it is not overstepping your bounds as a member to alert the staff of spam posts. I don't read every post on here every day so I really do rely on the membership to point me in the right direction to find content that isn't suitable for our site.

The one thing that is typically frowned upon in forums is "back seat modding" and that's when you post in a thread sounding like a mod when you aren't one, threatening action and so forth. Best thing to do is just report it and let us handle it.

JClarke1953

I get that. I used to be a moderator for a CS clan year's ago.

I use an iPad to get on this Forum, FB and other sites, so I wonder if this limits things.

Also, I am totally ignorant on pm'ing anyone. I can't seem to find a "button" for that purpose. Anyhow, thanks for your hard work and patience. Being a moderator can be a thankless job at times for sure.

JoeReese

JClarke, it took me a while too. I kept going to peoples profiles, searching for a "send a PM" button, but never finding one. What you do is hover over the "inbox" tab, and when the drop down menu appears, in the lower right corner, will be "Start a new conversation." Once you click that, you start entering their screen name and it will give you suggestions.

JClarke1953

Thanks JR, appreciate that. I'd a thought that there would be something a bit more obvious to pm, but I miss the "obvious" quite a lot, lol. It's one of the reason's I'm on my 6th char.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts