Discerning the Mundane Bug

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I already got the Elder Scroll at the Tower of Mzark and defeated Alduin the first and read the Elder Scroll on the Throat of the World, but I still cant advance in the quest.
I already gave the Lexicon to Septimus. I read about this bug on Skyrim Wiki for the quest, but is there a way to fix it without reloading to a previous save?
This is on XBOX360

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
You are talking about 2 totally different quests here.

You read the Elder Scroll at the Throat of the World & learn Dragonrend which you use to defeat Alduin the first time. Then you need to do the next quest which is Fallen.

Spoiler - The Fallen | Skyrim Forums

I know they're two diff quests, but i did all the bullet points for the discerning the mundane quest and i am unable to progress in the quest.
Someone told me to read the elder scroll first at the throat of the world, which is why i mentioned that. I patched skyrim to 1.5 and it still doesnt work

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I know both Fallen and Discerning the Transmundane worked on the 1.4 Patch & I know it still works on the 1.5 Patch, as I have done them both recently on both patches so there must be other " Factors " here that is causing it not to work.

Demented_Demon

Full time badass
Other than reloading a past saved data there is not much you can do. Is it that you have completed a quest objective and its not letting you progress, or is it something else? if it is then try doing what it tells you to do again, if you can that is.

I did all the objectives for the quest and should be talking to him for the dwemer device to open, so i can collect te blood samples. But the only question I can ask wil not allow me to progress in it. My friend says i should have seen the wretched abyss when leaving septimus's outpost earlier but i didnt see that either. I guess ill just have to avoid this quest.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Can you tell us exactly what's appearing in your quest journal right now?

in my quest journal there are four objectives that have been completed.
i should be talking to Septimus to progress the quest but even that is not said in the quest journal.
when i press X (to view quest objective on map) nothing happens.
Technically, I have no objective to do in the quest, which is why I'm stuck.
According to Skyrim wiki though, at this point I should talk to Septimus to get a new objective.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Can you list what quests are in your journal in general? Just the titles will suffice. If you can discern main quest from the others, feel free but if you post a big list that's ok too.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
You're sure you didn't leave the Tower of Mzark without the Runed Lexicon?

There's also a minimum level requirement of 15 to activate this Daedric Quest.... just throwing that out there.

yep when I pickpocket Septimus I see the Runed Lexicon so he already has it.
I'm level 19.
I will post my quest list next time I go on Skyrim and I will check if I have the Essence extractor, but I don't think I have it.
I was less than level 15 when I gave him the Runed Lexicon, but I have talked to him after going over level 15 and I still can't progress.

Thanks for the help.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if you can pickpocket the lexicon and give it back to him. It may trigger something, who knows.

Moda

pickpocketing the lexicon doesnt work. I dont really need to do this quest anyways so whatever.
thanks for help
Hey! I had the same exact problem and then I found the solution to this at another forum.
pms00
4. Dezember 2011 at 00:04
@jsasace – you have to be that level in order to get the blood harvesting step. if you aren’t that level yet he doesnt offer it. once you reach 15 he sends a courier (mainly shows up in winterhold)
I get a message from courier and went back to Septimus. Problem solved ;)

SuperRy82

I have skyrim for ps3. I don't have the dragonborn dlc. I just returned the lexicon to septimus and he gave me the blood extractor. When I try to leave the wretched abyss is blocking the exit and I can't talk to it. My character is lvl 38. I can't leave the cave or talk to the wretched abyss. What do I do? I've also loaded an earlier save and still the same problem. Please help

SuperRy82

I have skyrim for ps3. I don't have the dragonborn dlc. I just returned the lexicon to septimus and he gave me the blood extractor. When I try to leave the wretched abyss is blocking the exit and I can't talk to it. My character is lvl 38. I can't leave the cave or talk to the wretched abyss. What do I do? I've also loaded an earlier save and still the same problem. Please help

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts