Disappearing objects problem

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ender245

Right, so I loaded up the creation kit and duplicated an existing interior cell to use as a basic model to build off of. I deleted more than half of all objects in that cell and rearranged rooms to create a unique cell. However, when I load the mod in Skyrim, I find that certain areas of the cell and not rendering, giving a blank white space instead. I know the objects are still there because when I walk through the white space, the rest of the cell is replaced by the white space and the missing objects re-appear. The objects appear just fine in the creation kit, so I'm at a loss as to where the problem is. Any ideas?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Are you using any textures or objects that aren't in the base Skyrim install in your mod? Are you running any texture replacement mods?

ender245

No. I have not replaced any textures or am running any other mods, just Skyrim and mine.

I don't think it's a texture problem though. If it were, wouldn't the problem persist? The problem is not the objects don't render at all, it's kinda like there's a white wall that I can walk through that seperates two areas. Once I walk through, I see everything on the other side just fine, but can't see anything on the side I just came from.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I see what you're saying about the problem persisting versus not now. I just downloaded the CK today so I'm still trying to get all the info I can. It sounds like one part of the cell is "associated" with another, but only in one direction. Like having an "out" door without a corresponding "in" door but in this case, it's viewing as opposed to a tangible object. If I find anything relevant, I'll be sure to let you know. I've been reading up for the past few hours so I'll keep your issue in mind.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I think I finally found something. Did you use the 'Generate' feature in the World-> World LOD submenu for your cell?

I'm also seeing several referenced to checking the "Full LOD" checkbox. The advice is to use it sparingly because it can reduce performance.

Sorry this is so sketchy. I'm having to pour through many many unhelpful pieces of info before finding anything remotely pertinent.

ender245

I did not. To be honest, not quite sure what LOD even stands for. I havn't bothered to try the more advanced options out yet. With Morrowind and Oblivion editting, duplicating an already existing cell would copy over all the little settings that made a cell work as well. That's why I always started off making a new cell by duplicating an existing one first, made the cells more stable. I'll play around with that setting, see what I can find.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I haven't found one bit of info about what on earth it stands for ;) I'm guessing LOS is 'line-of-sight' which would make sense. There's also the whole navmapping thing to consider. I kept looking for the line of sight stuff because it seems like that is what was not being respected. But that darned LOD kept popping up. I'd make sure to backup your work though!

Please let us know what you found out.

SpaaaceMehreen

Press F5! This works for me! The kit just hides big objects alot of the time to streamline speed/loading. Took me awhile to figure it out too. It basically just force loads all the hidden assets in you're view.

ender245

F5 does help, but only for rendering issues in the creation kit. My problem is in-game.

I tried using the LOS tool, but it didn't resolve the issue. It's not coming up in any other cell I've made, so I'm thinking it has to be a problem with the object instances themselves.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
How about the LOD bit, Ender? The few posts I saw said something to the effect of "you need to re-render the LOD".

fisher0065

I had the same problem, which I fixed by removing roomMarkers and portalMarkers. I copied the Dragonsreach interior, which had quite a few of both, some created that missing texture problem and some didnt. Very strange.

Azalea

Hi!
I had the same problem I think, and I found a solution.
In my mod, it was related to ROOM MARKERs - I didn't even know they're exist, but someone wrote, that it can be related to markers, and I started to read about them.
The interior cell I had duplicated had already room markers, and if the room markers not big enough, the new construction what is not included will be out of sight.
I made the room marker (blue semitransparent box) bigger, and now my mod works fine.

Now I can go back to my mods what I abandoned because of this silliness :D
(So maybe it's not a bug, we just don't know enough about the CK.. )

ps: You have to make room markers visible in the CK in View -> Show/Hide Window -> check: Portals and Rooms.

tonycoolmen

I'm having a problem with objects not showing up in game. So what I'm doing is I'm adding a Dwemer Sun lamp like the one in the middle of Blackreach to this mod: Solace at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community, and it's not rendering in game. If you look in the images section, go to the image titled MasterDeck and basically I'm adding a Dwemer Sun lamp to somewhere in the upper left corner in that photo. You can also see a picture of the Dwemer Sun lamp I'm talking about in another image titled FromEntance. I hope that doesn't confuse anyone. Anyways, I did alot of other stuff with rubble piles and junk, and they're doing fine, but the Dwemer sun isn't loading. I just started using the CK, and I have no prior mod editting experience. So if anyone can help, thanks.

DarkFox127

If you guys are copying other cells then you may be dragging over portals, not sure how much knowledge you have of the kit but portals are used for optimisation of your mod, they basically separate the cell up into sections where it only loads the items in the portal room you are standing in. They are normally hidden within the kit so you have to go to View > Show/Hide > Tick portals and rooms. I never use portals as they are a pig to do and they also affect lighting within your cells and cause flickering. Hopefully this is what's causing your problems, if not then I'm stuck.

tonycoolmen

Basically My problem was that the pivot point of the Sun lamp was outside the roombounds and therefore wasn't loading. Objects whose pivot points are out of roombounds will not show in up in game, unless you fly about with TFC like I did in my video there. I haven't managed to understand how to change the room bounds, so That's a mystery for some one else :]

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts