1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Difficulty Settings

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Daelon DuLac, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Daelon DuLac How do you backstab a Dragon?

Message Count:
    What is the difference between Novice, Apprentice, Master, et al.? As I'm getting to higher levels, while there are still challenging baddies, am finding that, in general, I'm too powerful for most situations (not because of magic or super upped weapons - they're just normal with minor alterations, like addition of soul steal to keep my gems up).

Any thoughts? I know it says you can change during combat, but, an example being lockpicking - I don't have any trouble with the master level lockpicking when I have to do it. Can you set the levels on individual skills?
  2. Sheuneux Guardian of Talos Worship

Message Count:
    Each difficulty either increases a NPC's Health, Magicka, and Stamina or decreases it. From Adept which is standard, increasing it to Expert, Master or Legendary will make them harder to kill by increasing those attributes, which allows you to level faster (If you can survive), and decreasing difficulty to Apprentice or Novice does the opposite, lowers the standard level'd amount of H/M/S, making it easier to kill them (Recommended for low level players who encounter high level beasts).
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. electricskies Member

Message Count:
    It also affects the amount of damage you do and the damage you receive. Works on a 2x, 1.5x 0.75x, 0.5x multiplier.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Drax Rifter New Member

Message Count:
    From the wiki, difficulty increases enemy damage while decreasing the players. That is all. Master difficulty is 2x enemy damage 0.5x player damage.

Cheers
  5. Jaeger Active Member

Message Count:
    ^^

So, your armor skill gain rate would be buffed since they are hitting harder. Your weapon and damage dealing magic rate would be nerfed because you're dealing less damage.
  6. Drax Rifter New Member

Message Count:
    Hmm, I always wondered about that. I'm thinking no. From my experience damage skills level no slower on Master than Adept. My guess is they calculate XP/damage prior to the adjustment.

Armor skills are actually harder to level because everything hits so hard you end up using strategies that avoid damage all together. I had a Bandit Leader one two-shot me with 340 armor and blocking. So I ended up paralyzing him for the kill.