• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Valvor

Hello i am new to this forums, and i have recently just learned about this game, and am rather amazed at the game-play mechanics etc.

So do you think that having so many different variables, such as being able to use different spells, and weapons, will just make the game to easy? I was just curios about how the leveling will work out, are there different difficulty modes...or do the npcs level up as you do? I really enjoy a challenge in my rpgs, but without challenge, there is not much motivation to get stronger. Sorry if this post seems a bit pointless, i have not yet to read the skyrim Faq or info, which would probably be a better idea for information lol...but what are your thoughts on the difficulty and challenge?

Personally i believe it should be fair genuine challenge, that gets stronger, the farther you progress, it just makes me wonder if the game would turn out to be a breeze because of like i said, so many different variables to get around something.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Unless there are some ways to become invincible like in Oblivion I think the challenge will be appropriate. We already know how the leveling system works and your enemies will level with you to some degree. Furthermore, you can choose from several difficulty settings so if you feel like it’s too easy you could increase the difficulty provided that you didn’t start with the highest one right away.

Cole

Mythik
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the difficulty that it will provide. Npc's will scale with your level, and that with a higher difficulty will make you work for your skills and your weapons and Armor. Also with the dragons being the most intelligent of the Npc's in the game, they will give you a pretty good challenge. I think you'll be very happy with the difficulty and challenge. And if Skyrim is anything like Oblivion, you can scale the difficulty to any level you want, not just Easy, Normal, Hard and Very Hard.
Hope this answers your question. =]

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I think Skyrim won't be all that easy but as a singleplayer open-world RPG, it won't be all about the challenge. Your enemies will get stronger with you so it will still be somewhat challenging as long as you're not exploiting certain game mechanics. Like cole said, there are difficulty settings. Even if that's not enough you can try to make things even more challenging, like turning your HUD to completely transparent. In a vast open world like Skyrim, you'll encounter various forms of challenges, not just the strong enemies but like puzzling dungeon layouts and quests that requires some detective skills. That's probably one of the best thing about TES games.

Cole

Mythik
I agree with Hex on this completely. It's not just the NPC's that will make the game challenge. The world is a rather large one, with endless things to do, and if you find that the highest difficulty is to easy, create small challenges for yourself like Hex said, maybe only using your fists against a dragon, or using conjuration to summon npc's to fight for you, and let them do all the work. That's just a thought though. =)

Tusck

Hopefully you won't be able to enchant to 100% chameleon so that you can kill everything and no one can see you. Other than that, I think it will be an easier game because it is more casual gamer focus, not because of the amount of spells you will have.

Cole

Mythik
You always have the choice of the difficulty too, and if your on PC, you can mod it to play it like you want to. =]

Sheogorath

Cheese for everyone.
Don't worry if it's too easy just slide the difficulty bar all the way up, you will most likely get one hit killed by everything and that is a good challenge :p

Cole

Mythik
That's when i run away like a sissy and take pot shots with my bow or shot spells xD

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Hopefully you won't be able to enchant to 100% chameleon so that you can kill everything and no one can see you.
I disagree. You should be able to enchant all your stuff so that you become invisible but the enemies should be smart enough to attack you nevertheless if you
a) make too much noise
b) use spells (which can be seen)
c) attack them.

In case of c) they should even be able to estimate your general direction if you used ranged combat. If you attack them in close combat they should dish out damage in all directions by wildly flailing their arms or the like. So to summarize, 100% chameleon should become something that (at best) helps you only a little bit at combat but which is most efficient when trying to circumvent confrontations.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Given my restrictions, why would 100% be so ridiculous? They could make it very difficult to attain those 100%, too. Like, you would have to own a rare artifact to go beyond 70% or so.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I agree with Tusck on chameleon. It's an amusing feature but it really undermines sneak. I hope sneaking is a lot harder than it was in oblivion. I can just sneak right in front of their line-of-sight but they won't even notice me. Sometimes, I can stab them on the chest and they won't know what's hitting them. It's probably because I'm wearing like 35% or more chameleon. Maybe my character is just THAT good.

Flamingtaco

I think the difficulty scaling with the slider in options was pretty nice in oblivion. I could cheat myself to max magicka, destruction, and give myself the top spells in the game. With 0% I could destroy anything with 1 shot, 50% took more like 8 shots and I had to actually dodge attacks and such. At 100% using only magicka, I could not hope to survive.

Travis

Yeah, what Flamingtaco said. The slider works great. Hopefully Skyrim will have one like Oblivion did. It definitely doesn't need to be too easy. In fact, it makes you want to multi-class really, really badly, and if you know anything about multi-classing, that almost always makes things harder, not easier.

Flamingtaco

Yeah, what Flamingtaco said. The slider works great. Hopefully Skyrim will have one like Oblivion did. It definitely doesn't need to be too easy. In fact, it makes you want to multi-class really, really badly, and if you know anything about multi-classing, that almost always makes things harder, not easier.
Actually, Skyrim Is designed for multi-classing. It take ten skills to level up which was the number of major skills in oblivion but since all skills contribute to increasing your level, its worth putting perks into anything you might use at any point. If a pure warrior decides at level 33 that he should start using alchemy so he can make potions helpful for combat or go into enchanting to make his weapons deadlier, he can do that

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts