• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

did you pirate skyrim?

• Total voters

Jaeger

The Free Rider Problem

Companies are guilty of this all the time. Either getting tax breaks to stay in a municipality or actually getting money to stay. But, when their building is on fire, they damn well expect the city fire department to come put it out.

shwick2

Yes, I pirated the game. I bought a copy of the pc version because my computer meets the minimum specs; however for some reason it only runs at a whopping .5 or so fps... So I got an xbox360 version from an unspecified website. I don't think this is wrong though because I did in fact spend $60 on a copy that I couldn't play, and since it was open I couldn't return it.

haha buying legit pc copy and pirating xbox version o_O

Opium_Bunny

I bought the game, my point is simply that the act of pirating something does not immediately make some a criminal.

This argument is rather pointless, it's just going to devolve to ad hominem (see the quoted post) and isn't going to change anyone's opinion. I'll leave this to sum up my opinion:

(Stephen Fry on copyright law)

This was hilarious, and actually very correct. People who try to make out others who torrent to be thieves and horrible hate-worthy criminals are in a nutshell...extremely dense and unable to think outside the box. Yes you may not agree with the act of pirating, it doesn't make sense to suddenly brand someone as a horrible person...most people have broken the law one way or another whether by smoking weed, running a stop sign, having sex under 18, being drunk in public...whichever. Making it seem as though I am a crazy crook standing on the corner of some alleyway waiting for the next unsuspecting victim to come by and snatch their purse is just pure stupidity.

I work, I pay my taxes, I volunteer, I stop and help out those who have car problems, I give up my seat for old people on the bus...calling me a criminal only make me feel sexier. Lmao.

dragonkilla

The author's claim that people who pirate games would never have bought them in the first place is pure speculation and not grounded in reality or facts. Contrast that to the significant decline of retail CD sales for the music industry when music went digital and piracy ran rampant with digital music file swapping and sharing and you get a very different take based in reality and facts that supports the contention that people who pirate products will actually buy them if they cannot pirate them.
U have a very highly intellectual mind, but sadly the rest of us in this world don't really have that amount of capacity in our brains to comprehend the information that u just stated. So please can u put it in a more kid-friendly post, and Thank u.
Also people just don't normally share songs they usually tell their firends about the songs or whatever else it be, and they buy it. Also isn't there supposed to be some act called SOPA, that will stop pirating.

Perchta

i bought skyrim. i had it the first day. but i bought it because i'm working steadily, and could afford it. if i were not working, my guy would have downloaded it to make me smile (blushes).

Bryceybryce

It's a shame that none of you who are arguing about the morality of pirating are economists, because basic economics will tell you the answer to this questions. People seek to maximize their utility, so if the monetary + opp. cost of buying the game outweighs the utility that they get from that game, they won't buy it. Alternatively they can take the opp. cost of pirating the game if that opp. cost is less than the total cost of buying the game and less than the utility garnered from playing the game then they'll pirate it.

Static

Also isn't there supposed to be some act called SOPA, that will stop pirating.

SOPA wasn't going to stop piracy, it was going to bend the internet over and have its way with it until it squealed like a pig and cried out to whatever deity it worships, all whilst the internet's close friend, civil rights, was watching, before turning it's disgusting gaze towards civil rights and treating it much the same.

dragonkilla

SOPA wasn't going to stop piracy, it was going to bend the internet over and have its way with it until it squealed like a pig and cried out to whatever deity it worships, all whilst the internet's close friend, civil rights, was watching, before turning it's disgusting gaze towards civil rights and treating it much the same.
But the main reason SOPA was created so they can stop piracy right.

Nameless1

So, I think some of you all are idiots, most of you are delusional, but its all gravy.

I personally bought the game simply because I love bethesda's games. I want them to keep on creating more awesome games and if my 60 bones helps keep them doing just that, then of course I can spare it.

Also, I figured Skyim would be well worth it. I anticipated this game for years before it was announced and always knew i would buy it, on pre-order.

I must admit i have pirated obtained many things for nothing but a few hours of searching, killing viruses(viri? lol) and rebooting. So I'm not shaming any of yu fellow pirates *Obtainers. :)

like many have said, some things just aren't worth the money, but I will not claim to be morally driven to not support corrupt corperations by not paying them, I simply dont give a fluff and if I want to pay I'll pay, If not then fluff your Studios, CEO's, and artists. I gotta gets mines.

Zappus

Thread went just as expected. Flame wars! Yaaay!

In any case i pirated my game. I played it for about 80-90 hours, got my steam account and bought the full game. Best 60$ i spent in quite some time. The hd texture pack and constant support is awesome.

stagnant94

well done, SOPA and ACTA are coming into place because of you piraters, congratulations, and no matter how much you try to reassure yourselves that its fine, its still stealing, you might as well go in to a shop and steal the game, but you don't have to! you can wear the invisible cloak of cowardice over your body as you steal from the internet! Nothing is easy in life, how would you feel if you made something incredible and everyone stole it?

Evina

well done, SOPA and ACTA are coming into place because of you piraters, congratulations, and no matter how much you try to reassure yourselves that its fine, its still stealing, you might as well go in to a shop and steal the game, but you don't have to! you can wear the invisible cloak of cowardice over your body as you steal from the internet! Nothing is easy in life, how would you feel if you made something incredible and everyone stole it?

I hope you are just being sarcastic... I really do. Otherwise, I must tell you are quite overreacting.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
In general your post displays a profound amount of ignorance about intellectual property law. It would be better if you applied your statements to what the underlying moral principles regarding intellectual property law should be, in which case your arguments might make more sense, and stop trying to characterize them as actual intellectualy property law as it exists in reality.

What you possibly don't understand and respect is that the law is wrong, and that the RIAA or any mega-corporation mafia should not be allowed to influence legislation by legal bribes to US senators.

It seems the only way we have of amending this is by mass civil disobedience, and mass violation of an unjust, undemocratic legislation that protects wealth and capital instead of people. The idea that protecting capital sustains the economy and protects the people is , hopefully, seen as a dangerous fallacy by many of us by now.

The only reasonable application of criminal law to unauthorized duplication of code would be to prevent people from actually profiting from code they did not write.

Uskyldig

Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die
If everyone pirated the game, there would be no Bethesda OR any TES games since there would be no money for them. Also you people actually feel that stealing something is ok because you already bought another version??? Theft is Theft regardless of how it is done
It's not theft. You're taking a copy of the game, not taking the original.
And if you buy a copy for a console then pirate the PC Version, that's pretty reasonable. It shows moral backbone.
All prices are going up, but not everyone's wages. People are helping the economy by pirating moderately.

Static

SOPA was utterly destroyed when many high-profile websites (Wikipedia, Google, Mozilla etc) blacked-out in protest, and ACTA won't get of the ground. However, neither were about stopping piracy, that was simply the public face of them. The real reason was control, it was domination, it was the ability to know exactly who was downloading what and the ability to destroy the lives of people who were simply downloading the odd film illegally because DVD's now cost more money and yet wages have decreased. The government doesn't need SOPA to already do this, of course - I mean they shut down Megaupload without it, they were simply hoping that they could get the bill passed before they shut down Megaupload so they could claim it was a triumph of the bill.

Civil liberty can never arise from increased control and fascist ideals.

stertyy

i would if i could now. since i already bought it but my xbox made so many cracks in it(barely any cracks) so now its unreadable..

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts