Destruction magic underpowered?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Annabd

Anna
Don't go pure mage. Use one handed weapons. War-axes combined with shock spells are how I do it.
I suppose you're right, I think I'll go with a decent one-hander and shock (with disintegrate perk) to finish them off. Good idea thanks!

Dzylon

I use magic on the side.

Nothing is more satisfying than using Firebolt on a weak Draugr. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. The way they fly forty feet backwards from the force.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
I use magic on the side.

Nothing is more satisfying than using Firebolt on a weak Draugr. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. The way they fly forty feet backwards from the force.

That's what Fus Ro Dah is for!

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
It's just weird that destruction magic isn't all that *ahem* destructive at higher levels. I'm not entirely sure but my guess is that you can go through the whole game with one-handed as your only main combat skill. Sure, it will be difficult to fight dragons without range but you can just wait for them to land and start fighting it. In Oblivion, I was able to go through the entire game with pure destruction magic build. Sure, destruction was overpowered in Oblivion but they nerfed destruction magic too much...

Dzylon

That's what Fus Ro Dah is for!
It's just so much more satisfying with Firebolt for some reason. You have to try it to know the feeling.

It's just weird that destruction magic isn't all that *ahem* destructive at higher levels. I'm not entirely sure but my guess is that you can go through the whole game with one-handed as your only main combat skill. Sure, it will be difficult to fight dragons without range but you can just wait for them to land and start fighting it. In Oblivion, I was able to go through the entire game with pure destruction magic build. Sure, destruction was overpowered in Oblivion but they nerfed destruction magic too much...
I don't like how this game handles magic. Someone who just started the game can learn the most powerful spells. What do you have to look forward to as your level progresses? The only benefit is a slight potential power upgrade and lower Magicka cost (mainly lower Magicka cost).

I think more powerful magic should be made available to you at higher Destruction levels, not just petty upgrades.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
It's just so much more satisfying with Firebolt for some reason. You have to try it to know the feeling.

I don't like how this game handles magic. Someone who just started the game can learn the most powerful spells. What do you have to look forward to as your level progresses? The only benefit is a slight potential power upgrade and lower Magicka cost (mainly lower Magicka cost).

I think more powerful magic should be made available to you at higher Destruction levels, not just petty upgrades.
Hm, the game doesn't let you find higher spelltomes at earlier skill levels but yeah, the list of spells feels too simplified. Well, that's what mods are for. Oh man, they really need to release the creation kit ASAP.

Dzylon

Hm, the game doesn't let you find higher spelltomes at earlier skill levels but yeah, the list of spells feels too simplified. Well, that's what mods are for. Oh man, they really need to release the creation kit ASAP.
You could trek directly to the College of Winterhold, a relatively enemy-free path. I think the alchemy guy at Dragonreach sells upper level spells.

Onyx

From my (albeit limited) pure mage experience I have found them somewhat easier to play than pure warrior. Again this is at the lower level spectrum (for both my warrior and mage experience) but I also use a combination of Destruction/Illusion/Conjuration spells instead of relying on a single type. I find this play style quite powerful. Yes, if you are engaged in Melee things turn south quickly but usually have enough tools to prevent that. Also I dabbled in alchemy so if somebody gets to close I stab em with my dagger coated with paralyze poison :p

Sebastián Piazza

Mother fluffer Jones
I'm playing as almost a pure mage with a high destruction skill, but I'm still using the same "Flame" spell that everyone gets at the very beginning of the game. I got a fire bolt spell that's a bit stronger, but it isn't a continuous stream of fire, which is useful for accuracy, so I don't use that. I hope it doesn't get worse in the higher levels though - I mean, even now my dwarven dagger (un-enchanted) does more damage then my fire spell. I think I'm going to have to dual cast my fire spell and get rid of the healing one :sadface: Suggestions anyone?
if you aim right, 1 firebolt could kill a guy with less mana than what you expend trying to kill it only with your "Flame". And when you get the destruction perks, the damage increases dramaticly and the magicka you need is really low. But anyway i still love my close encounter weapons, more now since i found my "Honed Ancient Nord Greatsword of Scorching" :p

Kid

At level 50 my incinerate spell doing 90 damage has to hit the Deathlords about ten times. The enchants on my one handed war axe are 92 (46 frost and 46 fire) damage (which is already higher then incinerate) +191 for it's regular damage. Add a x6 sneak attack bonus, another thing you can't do with magic, and power attack/critical hit bonuses, and it's clear that magic can't really keep up. And I still haven't finished maxing out how much damage my one handed weapons (I can still forge the axe 25% better and have 9 more skill levels in one handed) do, but, incinerate will not become any more powerful unless I start using two-handed destruction perks.

Seeing as I like to play the thief/mage/warrior, magic really disappointed me and I kind of wish I hadn't spent so many perks upgrading my magic, since it is only effective at killing weaker enemies at a distance. Fortify destruction is kind of a joke because you can get your spells to zero, but you can't upgrade their damage.

It does get noticeably different. i was running around at level 20ish whoping everyone that came near me without having to hit and run. Now at level 40, any more than a couple of decent opponants i either have to run and dodge to recharge or use potions.

But the way i changed playing style has chaged the power in battle, now i dont ever turn back! I got my smithing up to 100 and started making dragon armour. i then got enchanting up and with some grand soul gems, whola...

+50 health and +50 magika when i can (when enchantment is 100 you get 2 enchantments per item wiht perk) i think you can put this on jwelery only, so ring and necklace.
reduce destruction magic cost. and some restore magika.
also put some extra carry weight enchanments on boots and gloves.

but this is where the pain comes. dual weild skyforge sword upgraded to legiondary with +30 fire damage on one and +30 shock on the other and both with absorb health (this is wicked as every time i hit i get my heath refilled abit, sory cant remember by how much i think around 20)
and another with soul trap to refill gems when needed.
and they both have around 100 charges each :D

with the enchantments added i got around 600 magika, 310 healt and about 140 stamina...

Now Everytone in the land of skyrim is fluffed!

People on here that use enchating how comes i cant disasemble certain (powerfull) items like the mages robe, im sure i had the option to do it earlier in the game...?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts