• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dawnguard or Volkihar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
There is only one cure and I believe it is very rare and difficult cure. They are a parasite, but it's not their fault.

Their fault isn't really an issue. It's what they are and what they do. They may be innocent by their own standards, but they enslave and feed off of innocent people, and that's a crime by our standards.

montalar

Dawnguard.
First, i tried play for vampires faction, because addon is about them, but when arrived with Harkon daughter to their castle, faced so much evil... thats too much. I had save before starting Dawnguard dlc, so i reloaded and i went to cast them out with dawnguards. They are impossible menace to everything. Didnt want to spoil my game and read storyline. They goal was to eleminite sun itself... energy for all living things. Vampires are menace even for themselves. They evil minds are so twisted, they want destroy anything and everything alive, what is the case if there is no sun anymore.
Dam them. Or they cure or they will be exterminated in my game till last one. And shame devs dont gave a possibility yet destroy root of this evil - Molag Bal itself. That would be good deed for vampire hunter.
gl.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I felt the Dawnguard questline was more satisfying, TBH. I felt like there was more of a purpose to it, like you had an actual reason for doing what you were doing. The vampire side it was more yadda yadda, kill some people, drink blood, yum. I didn't feel like I had a real reason. Killing Harkon through the vampire side? Apart from the fact that he was a twat and got under my skin seemed like a waste of my time.

From a romantic standpoint, however, I like being a vampire. There's just something romantic about vampires...or maybe I'm just messed up.

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
Dawnguard.
First, i tried play for vampires faction, because addon is about them, but when arrived with Harkon daughter to their castle, faced so much evil... thats too much. I had save before starting Dawnguard dlc, so i reloaded and i went to cast them out with dawnguards. They are impossible menace to everything. Didnt want to spoil my game and read storyline. They goal was to eleminite sun itself... energy for all living things. Vampires are menace even for themselves. They evil minds are so twisted, they want destroy anything and everything alive, what is the case if there is no sun anymore.
Dam them. Or they cure or they will be exterminated in my game till last one. And shame devs dont gave a possibility yet destroy root of this evil - Molag Bal itself. That would be good deed for vampire hunter.
gl.
Exactly. Vampires= Evil bitches. Totally awesome.

TheDovahkiin

Put on some sunblock, that would work :rolleyes:.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I choose the Volkihar. Fits me more. I thought about creating another character to join the Dawnguard just so I can experience the full DLC storyline, but I'm not so sure. Not really big on being a Vampire hunter. Prefer to join the Devil. :)

I do feel that the Vampire side of Dawnguard lacked in some spots. I wanted more interaction with the other vampires and Harkon, but I can't complain. Still loved it and with the Better Vampire Mod, I can finally do what Harkon could not, blot out the Sun and turn every living mortal into Vampires! I shall rule the world! *cue evil laugh* ;)

TheDovahkiin

Their fault isn't really an issue. It's what they are and what they do. They may be innocent by their own standards, but they enslave and feed off of innocent people, and that's a crime by our standards.
I see your point.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
I can understand why people may think that the Volkihar clan are evil, especially when you first enter the castle with Serana. The sight of evil was everywhere. You have barely alive people laying on the table with venomous vampires about to chow down on them. You have people locked inside cages used only for extracting blood from them until they become too weak to even stand up.

However when I stop and think about it.... Are they truly that evil? Sure Harkon was pretty insane for wanting to block out the sun, but still. Vampires hunt humans for the sole purpose for food. Isn't that circle of life? A complete balance of nature? If a bear kills a human and then eats it.... is the bear evil?

In my game as a Vampire lord and as the Dragonborn with connections from Jarls of each hold I've secretly made an alliance. If theirs feral vampires causing trouble with the mortals that we are to take care of them, and not the guards.

Consider my character to be the "vampire police" where I'm the new Lord of Castle Volkihar.

The human cattle that was locked up was replaced with high risk prisoners (mostly death row inmates) who came from each hold (except for Markarth) in Skyrim. The Jarls (in secret) agreed that if we provide them with protection against feral vampires that they would give us in return their death row prisoners. So instead of Rargal Thrallmaster hunting down innocent people he goes to the hold and collects available inmates to bring back to the castle.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I can understand why people may think that the Volkihar clan are evil, especially when you first enter the castle with Serana. The sight of evil was everywhere. You have barely alive people laying on the table with venomous vampires about to chow down on them. You have people locked inside cages used only for extracting blood from them until they become too weak to even stand up.

However when I stop and think about it.... Are they truly that evil? Sure Harkon was pretty insane for wanting to block out the sun, but still. Vampires hunt humans for the sole purpose for food. Isn't that circle of life? A complete balance of nature? If a bear kills a human and then eats it.... is the bear evil?

In my game as a Vampire lord and as the Dragonborn with connections from Jarls of each hold I've secretly made an alliance. If theirs feral vampires causing trouble with the mortals that we are to take care of them, and not the guards.

Consider my character to be the "vampire police" where I'm the new Lord of Castle Volkihar.

The human cattle that was locked up was replaced with high risk prisoners (mostly death row inmates) who came from each hold (except for Markarth) in Skyrim. The Jarls (in secret) agreed that if we provide them with protection against feral vampires that they would give us in return their death row prisoners. So instead of Rargal Thrallmaster hunting down innocent people he goes to the hold and collects available inmates to bring back to the castle.
Evil is and will always be a person's point of view.

To quote Anne Rice's Lestat:
"God kills indiscriminately and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves."

Fenix09

I sided with the vampire's but I didn't see them as evil after finishing off Harkon. But I'm with Raijin on when you first meet the vampires. Now I don't see them as evil I see them as a more friendlier race. Seeing as my character didn't want to kill Serana. Plus we were still able to block the sun for that day.

BLdLSt Nitemare

Dawnguard (vampire Hunters) or Volkihar (vampires)?? I was wondering what most people sided with. I have done both and still don't know witch one I prefer.
I know this has nothing to do with what your saying but i have a question. Im level 100 destruction but in the magic menu. Not the thing where it has like a spacial background with the like wheel of skills. Just when you press B and go to the left to where you see all your spells. It sais im 99 on the bottom.. Why doesnt it say 100 like it does in the skill menu with all the skills??

g33k5quadstud

Vampire Soldier
I sided with the Vampires. Its fits me more. Plus I love Vamps. Vampires are not evil, they survive. They are one ot the top predators. Man and Mer are prey. Last I checked the vampire aren't killing anyone, sure they suck blood, but everytime I enter Whiterun, My "prey" is always greeting me in the normal friendly skyrim tone he always uses. I dislike the Dawnguard with a passion, its soul purpose is to kill anything it doesn't like or understand. We curb our "feral" brethern as to not upset the herd, and we're still the bad guys! Lord Harkon was a loony bird, but not every leader will be a good one. Vampires hunt humans, Werewolfs hunt humans, Humans hunt animals, its the way of nature.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
There's just something about kicking down a Vampire Lair with a crossbow enchanted with fire, that shoots exploding bolts while shouting "In the name of Stendarr, BURN YOU UNHOLY BASTARDS" That appeals to me.

But I like both sides.

I only wish there was another faction you could join in Skyrim, the Necromancers. You can transform into a Vampire Lord or a Werewolf, but you can't join the Necromancers and transform into a Lich like you would a werewolf or vamp lord. That is just mean.

They rub Necromancy in our face, with the Vampire side spells of Necro healing and heal undead, the spells from Soul Carin which benefit from Necromancy.
Necromancy is even legal in skyrim.

But if I had to pick one side or the other I'd choose Dawnguard mainly because I felt their side had more to it, like it was more finished. With the Vampire side you don't even see Harkon start to get all crazy and paranoid and start to distance himself from you, so when he tries to kill you, you see it coming so to speak. That killing him feels better, because you could see what truly was. Because for me it just seemed like we're all happy and doing well for the Vampires, come back and it's "You turned my daughter against me" I said one thing to your daughter, which was asking about Soul Cairn get the hell out of here with the turning against, I brought you your stupid bow.

Africanman08

Damn, everyone got all political on this topic and completely side tracked the question.

I loved playing VL at first, being able to transform at will was an awesome bonus in comparison to being a werewolf, but as someone earlier stated, a VL would be more suited to a Mage where if combat got to close for comfort, they could transform and tear them suckas apart! Same could be said for Werewolf but you can't transform at will.

The Vampire quests did feel empty, especially once you finished the main quest, and then it was all about kill random npc at random location or get random item at random location.

***Spoiler*** you do get some amulets and rings in the vamp side quests that make you a bit stronger, but playing Dawnguard will get you better crossbows if your about ranged.

Standard vampire is good for assassin for the sneaking bonus but the sun is a total bitch. I went werewolf with my assassin to help take down the bigger guys I couldn't assassinate.

Best advice is to save before finishing first quest and try both.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
With the Dawnguard the Vampires are actually involved in the main questline.

With the Vampires it's moreso trying to rebel against Lord Harkon, and the Dawnguard just randomly shows up in between and act like annoying little flies that do nothing but make the quests take a bit longer.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts