PS3 Dawnguard might never release...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torok

Bethesda admits Skyrim Dawnguard DLC might never get PS3 release date, due to potentially insurmountable technical issues. Yeah, that again | GamesRadar

My fellow PS3 players, it is with a heavy heart that I bring you this news... Bethesda has said that due to technical issues with the PS3, Dawnguard might never grace the PS3 console...

I say do not blame Bethesda, blame the PS3, and maybe consider getting Skyrim off of Steam... I don't know, but I'm certainly not getting an Xbox 360 that's for sure.

There is still hope, let's wait let's say a month and then make rash decisions like buying Skyrim off of Steam. There is still hope.

And who knows? Maybe a miracle will happen and we'll get Hearthfire.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
That is a shame... But I figured with the way PS doesn't really update its firmware often that it was bound to catch up to them eventually.

SprSynJn

I say do not blame Bethesda, blame the PS3, and maybe consider getting Skyrim off of Steam... I don't know, but I'm certainly not getting an Xbox 360 that's for sure.

Say what? Why would you not blame them? The system has been out for a good long while. They are the only developer that has this much difficulty with it. Of course you blame them. They need to hire some decent programmers.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
If you look at the technical details its PS fault for not being able to handle the gaming engine that bethesda has developed. the frame rates literally crumble apart, and have done so for the last few games. It would be like trying to develop a completely separate game engine just so that PS fans could play.

SprSynJn

They are the only developer who cannot develop for the platform correctly. You do not blame a city for having roads that do not conform to a car you're trying to build. I understand if the platform might be difficult, but that is when you hire people who understand the programming progress instead of giving up and leaving your customers out.

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
One thing I don't understand is why they could produce Skyrim itself for Ps3, something that would be ten time harder than Dawnguard, but they can't get a DLC to work?

Can someone explain that to me because I really don't get why they are having trouble. :/

Bethesda is most certainly not the only dev that has trouble with PS3. They are the biggest name to try. The bulk of devs walked away from PS3 when it launched or before launch due to various reasons. Mostly due to it being a giant pain to dev for, no help from Sony at all, no dev kits for 6 months after launch.

DarkSlideDemon

Skyrim, gets choppy on some PS3 systems, once the player has hit... say level 20, the system decides to freeze and lag, this however hasn't happened as much on the Slim Version of the console. Bethesda said releasing the DLC would just make the problems much worse.

JechtFayth

it is alll besthesda's fault cause they are the ones who decided to release their game across all platforms. they did not need to at all, but they did. and as such comes consequences such as having to deal with the Playstation cell processor and making things work for all platforms.

they have to throw out all the dlc to all platforms or they are in deep plops legally.

if they were smart they wouldnt even bother with xbox first if they were working on dlc since its much easier to code what they want for xbox. if they were smart, they would start on ps3 first and get it to work for that so ps3 users are happy and then all they would have to do, which would take them a week or 2 and change it to what they need for 360 since it's that much easier.

if anything i believe they should quit all further work on any more dlc that they're working on for pc and xbox and souly focus on PS3. either give us something newer and cooler that has pieces of Dawnguard and Hearthfire in them alread or focus everything on both dawnguard and hearthfire and a new dlc strictly for ps3 and make xbox wait 2-3 months for the 3rd dlc and make pc wait 1-2 months or less.

i hope to see them fall and fail if they are gonna hold out on a huge source of their profits which is the playstation users and just plops on them..

if they really are gonna stop trying to give us PS3 users dlc just cause they're whiny bitches that complain how hard it is to switch to PS3 rather than just dealing with it and working on it, i say a big fluff YOU to Bethesda :) hope your company fails some day sell outs ;)

Katastrophe

King of Tales
No developer would be willing to create a separate game engine simply to accommodate a particular console. I mean, there's a reason Skyrim isn't on the Wii - it can't handle it. In the comparison between 360 and PS3, as Shew said, the PS3 just lags behind in terms of actual hardware. It's like trying to run Skyrim on a computer equipped with outdated processors, graphics cards, etc. It's not like you're given a "graphics" option like you are on PC games to switch from Low to Uber - consoles can't handle that.

So Bethesda, and all cross platform developers, make ONE build because to make another would be to literally start the process over. It would be like releasing Skyrim exclusively to the PS3 - it probably wouldn't make much of a profit. They built their game with all three consoles in mind and made it work from there. However, because PS3 is the lowest rung on the ladder, that's unfortunately where they have to sit.

This is entirely not Bethesda's fault - they could have just as easily said "Screw PS3" and made it for Xbox 360 and PC, or just PC. I play on 360 and occasionally it still freezes up on me, though I've noticed that after an update awhile back, this hasn't occurred. The fact is that Sony is to blame for having inferior hardware and hoping that Skyrim would be playable on it, when it just isn't.

And to the above that said Bethesda will lose a huge source of their profits... You're very, very wrong.

JechtFayth

No developer would be willing to create a separate game engine simply to accommodate a particular console. I mean, there's a reason Skyrim isn't on the Wii - it can't handle it. In the comparison between 360 and PS3, as Shew said, the PS3 just lags behind in terms of actual hardware. It's like trying to run Skyrim on a computer equipped with outdated processors, graphics cards, etc. It's not like you're given a "graphics" option like you are on PC games to switch from Low to Uber - consoles can't handle that.

So Bethesda, and all cross platform developers, make ONE build because to make another would be to literally start the process over. It would be like releasing Skyrim exclusively to the PS3 - it probably wouldn't make much of a profit. They built their game with all three consoles in mind and made it work from there. However, because PS3 is the lowest rung on the ladder, that's unfortunately where they have to sit.

This is entirely not Bethesda's fault - they could have just as easily said "Screw PS3" and made it for Xbox 360 and PC, or just PC. I play on 360 and occasionally it still freezes up on me, though I've noticed that after an update awhile back, this hasn't occurred. The fact is that Sony is to blame for having inferior hardware and hoping that Skyrim would be playable on it, when it just isn't.

And to the above that said Bethesda will lose a huge source of their profits... You're very, very wrong.

inferior hardware? what the fluff you smoking? its because of xboxs inferior hardware that all developers have to dumb everything down cause of what little room they have to work with.
so it is entirely bethesdas fault.

and they're are developers such as naughty dog and konami are two that immediately come to mind.

just cause bethesda is butt hurt on actually having to work for once in their lives instead of constantly sitting on their lazy whiny asses doesnt give them an excuse to be like "oh it's to hard to get this to work". shut the fluff up and deal with it. bethesdas fault for putting the game out on the 3 major consoles so they have to deal with it and get their asses in gear.

and it wouldnt be starting over. they make the ONE build for PS3 and then alter it to the easier, not so advanced version for xbox

Katastrophe

King of Tales
because of xboxs inferior hardware that all developers have to dumb everything down cause of what little room they have to work with.
Remind me again why we have the DLC and you don't again...?
o_O

I thought it was because the PS3 has always had trouble with Bethesda's engine (while 360s have run it fine)... but maybe you're right. Maybe the PS3's hardware is just so advanced that it no longer recognizes the inferiority of Skyrim's engine... sounds logical to me.

JechtFayth

Remind me again why we have the DLC and you don't again...?
o_O

I thought it was because the PS3 has always had trouble with Bethesda's engine (while 360s have run it fine)... but maybe you're right. Maybe the PS3's hardware is just so advanced that it no longer recognizes the inferiority of Skyrim's engine... sounds logical to me.
you have it souly because it is the easier of the two to develop plops. same with call of duty which is another convo in itself. also the only other reason why xbox has it sooner is cause bethesda are pieces of plops sellouts to microsoft.

microsoft paid them to get the dlc earlier. without that you probably wouldnt have it already

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I propose a course of action for all you poor sods still playing Skyrim on PS3.

Get it for PC.

It is SO much better and Bethesda can actually get their plops right with it, unlike PS3.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
you have it souly because it is the easier of the two to develop pl***. same with call of duty which is another convo in itself. also the only other reason why xbox has it sooner is cause bethesda are pieces of pl*** sellouts to microsoft.

microsoft paid them to get the dlc earlier. without that you probably wouldnt have it already
Easier or not, hardware or not, the issue is with Sony.

And yes, Microsoft paid them to get DLC earlier... so? It's a business. It's not like they're developing DLC exclusive to the 360... fact is that if two out of three platforms work just fine, it's probably not the developer's fault that the third fails hard, even after extensive testing... if you hear hooves, thing horses; not zebras.

If my computer was able to run Skyrim smoothly, I'd rather have that than the 360. Why get DLC earlier when you can get mods? PC > 360 >>>> PS3

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Easier or not, hardware or not, the issue is with Sony.

And yes, Microsoft paid them to get DLC earlier... so? It's a business. It's not like they're developing DLC exclusive to the 360... fact is that if two out of three platforms work just fine, it's probably not the developer's fault that the third fails hard, even after extensive testing... if you hear hooves, thing horses; not zebras.

If my computer was able to run Skyrim smoothly, I'd rather have that than the 360. Why get DLC earlier when you can get mods? PC > 360 >>>> PS3

I love how Microsoft has to bribe all the big game companies to release their content for Xbox first (or exclusively in some cases) because otherwise they'd be completely broke.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
I love how Microsoft has to bribe all the big game companies to release their content for Xbox first (or exclusively in some cases) because otherwise they'd be completely broke.
Considering the vast amount of revenue they make from Xbox Live and Microsoft Points alone, this statement is beyond false. I mean, it's Microsoft... they will never go broke, by any stretch of the imagination.

They do not bribe anyone. They pay companies and developers for exclusive or first-hand content because it's a great selling point. They have the power and money to do so. It's hardly a bad business practice when you look at other large companies, like Wal-Mart. Fact is that Microsoft has the money to buy out products in order to funnel people to buy their own products. It's great business sense.

This DLC issue aside, imagine the 360 and PS3 were equal except one would have the DLC first. If you could play it on either, which console would you buy it for, considering all other factors are the same? Obviously the 360 because it gets the DLC first.

Thinking Microsoft spends money to keep themselves from going broke not only makes no sense; it's ignorant.

As a person who has played Skyrim on both my own PS3 and my Girlfriend's 360, I honestly prefer the PS3 version. In my eyes, the graphics are better, the controls smoother, and I don't really see what the problem is for Dawnguard coming out on PS3. I mean, I rarely encounter bugs or glitches on my PS3, and I play the game almost every bloody day. :/ That being said, even if I had to wait a little bit longer for added content, I'd still pick PS3 or Xbox, as long as I got the content.

Unlike whats happening with Dawnguard.

JechtFayth

As a person who has played Skyrim on both my own PS3 and my Girlfriend's 360, I honestly prefer the PS3 version. In my eyes, the graphics are better, the controls smoother, and I don't really see what the problem is for Dawnguard coming out on PS3. I mean, I rarely encounter bugs or glitches on my PS3, and I play the game almost every bloody day. :/ That being said, even if I had to wait a little bit longer for added content, I'd still pick PS3 or Xbox, as long as I got the content.

Unlike whats happening with Dawnguard.

@ katastophe, See GRAPGICS ARE BETTER and CONTROLS ARE SMOOTHER.... PS3 BETTER and MORE ADVANCED

ALL GAMEs ARE DUMBED DOWN FOR XBOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts