1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Dawnguard is Freezing

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Hecatone, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Hecatone

Hecatone New Member

I didn't see another forum space for bugs, so if I missed it please don't troll. It would be great if a mod would move this thread in that case.

I've been experiencing frequent game freezes often when fighting outside. Usually when jumped by vampires or attacked by trolls. I'm attempting to reinstall Dawnguard on my Xbox 360 to see if that makes a difference. If anyone else is experiencing this problem or has a solution please share.
  2. TheKingofKong

TheKingofKong Member

I've been experiencing a similar issue. The game will freeze seemingly at random, but only at times when some part of the knew content is in use. It is especially consistent when transitioning between areas. I'll have a load screen freeze.
  3. Hunter9417

Hunter9417 New Member

It froze many times already for me. One time it made my information on my storage device appear empty, that scared the crap out of me. Then it made my controller do absolutely nothing, my xbox was still making my character move yet i had no control over him... I dont know why this is happening but it could happen because of all the new content.. Dont pay too much attention to it because i have the same problem and im sure a lot more people are having similar problems
  4. morguen87

morguen87 |\/| P |/\|

Haven't had a single problem yet...10+ hours in
  5. Hunter9417

Hunter9417 New Member

Haha youre lucky, but im not experiencing any more problems with 30 minutes into it. Hopefully not a fluke
  6. morguen87

morguen87 |\/| P |/\|

Good luck. I should clarify too, I'm still getting the normal Skyrim oddities we're all used to by now...but nothing out of the ordinary directly due to the DLC.
  7. morguen87

morguen87 |\/| P |/\|

Hmmm okay....got my first quest glitch 12ish hours in. It's just a side quest, so no real spoilers (if you didn't already know the dlc was about vampires I don't know what to say). I'm playing on the Dawnguard side and got the quest "Cleansing Light," one of many from Gunmar asking me to go kill a master vampire in a random location. I killed the vampire, but I can't turn in the quest. The usual dialog option of "I did what you told me blah blah blah" isn't there - despite the quest objective currently being "Return to Gunmar" and the waypoint is directly over his head. When I try to get a new side quest from someone else, they just tell me that Gunmar wants to talk with me....but when I go talk to him there's still no dialog option to turn in the quest. So on top of not being able to turn in this side quest, I can't even get any others. Bummer.

It's just a side quest, so hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me during the main quest. I did all the ancient artifact side quests, hopefully nothing else is very important. I have a save from ~1 hour earlier I'll keep track of and load if I need to, but as of now it doesn't seem worth it for the "go to x location and kill y" side quests. If it ends up interfering with the main dlc quest I'll be a little upset. If anybody can let me know if the quest is actually important or if there are any side quests that actually matter on the dlc side besides for the ancient artifact quest line, I'd love to hear it. I'd appreciate a private message if spoilers are unavoidable so other people don't have to read it. Thanks!!

[edit: I waited 72 hours and the dialog option to turn the quest in magically appeared when I tried talking to him again. lol, yay.....I'll leave this up though in case anyone else has the same problem]
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hunter9417

Hunter9417 New Member

I haven't had anything so far, and i finished the main quests for the opposite side. If you have a second character, try out the vampire side. It is much better than you could imagine. There are a few things i can't figure out. Like how there are no spears, yet they were present in a video with a guy from bethesda talking. Other than that i am totally satisfied, except not being able to marry the female that is in both sides.
  9. Greatsword

Greatsword Member

I haven't had any issues that include any of the DLC content. But my Skyrim hasn't frozen for months and yesterday in Goldenglow Estate it froze :/ Don't know if it has anything to do with Dawnguard though.
  10. Hunter9417

Hunter9417 New Member

Freezing is usually the outcome of too much time playing the game. New content is also an issue.
  11. Downtown clown

Downtown clown New Member

I have experienced skyrim freezing on me at least 52 times now. It gives no real warning except the frames per second drastically drop in rate about 2 seconds before it freezes. I've never had this problem before. I run my skyrim on a well ventilated slim 250 gb 360 with skyrim installed on the hard drive. It is not at all from playing too much either since it is now freezing after only 5 minutes of playing. No other games are doing this to me at all. It's freezing so much I can't even play the game anymore. I'm really hoping they put a fix out soon. Loading faith here.
  12. Hunter9417

Hunter9417 New Member

I'm not sure what could be wrong in your case, I have a 16 gigabyte storage capacity, i have installed the game as well. I rarely have a freeze now, but it has lessened after less playing time. I have the oldest version of the xbox as well. This is the only game I have ever had freeze on me, but thats probably because it has a lot to generate as in space to roam. I would imagine any RPG with a map this massive would make an xbox freeze.
  13. Ivory

Ivory Let's Player

Usually Skyrim only freezes for me when I've been playing WAY to much in one sitting. (6+ Hours. I am not proud....much :V) However I have noticed more frequent freezes when loading, but usually it unfreezes after a few seconds.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I use a Xbox Arcade.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Downtown clown

Downtown clown New Member

The dumb thing is, it's not just happening outside. Like I will enter a small building or room and take a few steps and as soon as one character comes into Frame the games goes haywire and glitchy and then freezes
  15. Hunter9417

Hunter9417 New Member

That's probably common, it has happened once to me. I don't know what it could be, try cleaning the disc and the console. The console can be air cleaned with the stuff you clean keyboards with.
  16. wack4tacos

wack4tacos New Member

Alright i found out y it freezes this is an annoying bug that bethesda needs to fix the reason it freezes is because of your vampire companion when ever you get into a battle with her it freezes trust me i tested this out i told her one time to wait here and i get into a fight and the game doesnt freeze but when she comes and joins the fight xbox frozen but here is another thing once i tell here to wait her there is no option to say follow me so they need to patch this cuz if i need to delete my lvl 62 guy with 154 hours im gunna be pissed
  17. Hunter9417

Hunter9417 New Member

That is some weird happenings, i haven't had a problem with Serana following me at all. I'm not sure why others would be having the same problem, but I'm fortunate not to have that problem.
  18. Maxlength

Maxlength Member

Yep...freezing and crashing....not impressed
  19. Maxlength

Maxlength Member

I have had freezing after a few hours, even less than 30.....
  20. VerMillioNaZ

VerMillioNaZ New Member

I was playing lastnight, and in the middle of a battle.....FREEZE! That was time number 5 that had happened. The first 3 were when I was loading the game from the main startup screen. The fourth was when I transformed into a Vampire Lord. Also, when I first downloaded it, I was playing and transformed into a Werewolf, did my business, then after I transformed back into human form my character was stuck in a crouched position. I could not run to stand up. Hopefully these get back to Bethesda.