• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Dark Souls II comes out tomorrow. I don't play games, other than Skyrim, and Dark Souls. It's just that I have a very high standard for games, and little time to play them. Even the arrival of Dark Souls II will not eliminate my involvement in Skyrim. Just lessen it. Significantly. I came to Skyrim late, so there are still things for me to do, as Kohlar, namely, killing the Ebony Warrior. But my time spent in that world, and in this forum, will subsequently diminish. For what it's worth, this forum is unique in my experience. It's a place I look forward to visiting each day, and a place I will actually miss, if I were to go away completely, which I don't plan on.

I view games as works of art. It is for this reason, that I will never get rid of Skyrim, nor will I erase it's content on the PS3. If 20 years from now, I want to adventure as Kohlar the Unkilled, I will do so. The same goes for my Dark Souls characters. These games may get old, but they will never cease to be great. My grand kids will play these games. Today's society is "out with the old, in with the new." But art is different. The ancient paintings of the masters are masterpieces today. Won't the best games be the masterpieces of tomorrow?

Do you think I'm crazy? :beermug:

Clau

The Fateless One
No you're not crazy. Many feel the same way about classic titles. My older brother still plays Morrowind after all these years. The same reason why I can't sell my PS3 even if I had purchased a PS4 some months back.

Back on topic, Dark Souls II hasn't grown on me, but I'm still playing it.

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it
Dark Souls II is freaking insane.

If you see me on LIVE lately there's, like, a 99% chance I'm playing Dark Souls II, and it's been like that for a month. I'm more into the multiplayer with it. (PRAISE THE SUN MOTHAFLUFFA)

I'm nearing level 100 atm.

Clau

The Fateless One
Hurrah for victory, and therefore tears!

I had mixed feelings at first, but I believe the DSII is growing on me. I finished the game and started over with a new character that I'm liking much better than my first one. I have had the urge to break out some Skyrim though.

For me, I enjoyed the final boss fight in Dark Souls compared to Dark Souls II. I'm gonna roll up a swordsman this weekend.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
I am home. A thread named after Dark Souls 2.<3

I love it. It is Bette in every way than the first game other than the final boss and story, which are complete and utter shi*. Other than that, and the odd lead up to character creation, I LOVE IT!

I don't know what exactly you want to discuss in t hi thread, but I've beaten the game 4 times now, and know it like the back side of my hand. I have not yet entered NG+ mode though.

I can give tips and tricks, explain parts of the story, help you out through co op if you're on 360, and generally love the game in almost every way.

Clau

The Fateless One
About the story, here is something that I can't grasp about Dark Souls 2:

When does it take place? Are the events even related to the chosen undead in Lordran? Or is this a case of non-cannon but same universe?

Staff member

When does it take place? Are the events even related to the chosen undead in Lordran? Or is this a case of non-cannon but same universe?
The game takes place a very long time after the first game. I'm not sure what you mean by the second question, but the game leaves the origins of your character up to you to decide. If you want it to be the same character, it can be.

Staff member

The game takes place a very long time after the first game. I'm not sure what you mean by the second question, but the game leaves the origins of your character up to you to decide. If you want it to be the same character, it can be.
If you mean are the stories related, then yes they are.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
It is debated, but I believe that Drangleic sits upon (or at least very close by), the same land as Lordran did in the first game, although since a thousand, (thousands??) years have passed, there are some geological differences. A great many of the same items from the 1st game are present in the 2nd; they couldn'tve all been transported to some distant land, could they've? What do you all think? The story could be fascinating indeed, if we were given a little bit more to go on, aside from vague references to the past.

I didn't go to NG+ with my 1st character, but I look forward to it with my current one. One of the best changes made was to make NG+ different, having many items not available til there, with different NPC invaders, and more enemies. I look forward to obtaining the Heide Knight armor, and the Catarina armor. Talk about being a Dark Souls fan, I have a Siegmeyer t-shirt that I wear frequently!

Staff member
It is debated, but I believe that Drangleic sits upon (or at least very close by), the same land as Lordran did in the first game, although since a thousand, (thousands??) years have passed, there are some geological differences. A great many of the same items from the 1st game are present in the 2nd; they couldn'tve all been transported to some distant land, could they've? What do you all think? The story could be fascinating indeed, if we were given a little bit more to go on, aside from vague references to the past.

I didn't go to NG+ with my 1st character, but I look forward to it with my current one. One of the best changes made was to make NG+ different, having many items not available til there, with different NPC invaders, and more enemies. I look forward to obtaining the Heide Knight armor, and the Catarina armor. Talk about being a Dark Souls fan, I have a Siegmeyer t-shirt that I wear frequently!
The evidence that it is a far away land from Lordran is by far stronger and more convincing than it being Lordran, though it just depends on what you choose to believe. Dark Souls is more RP friendly than Skyrim in that regard.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
We should discuss that then. We know from NPCs that the kingdom was not always called Drangleic, and in fact has been known by many names long forgotten. I suppose the items could've gradually found there way across the land through various adventurers. It makes sense to me that the chosen undead would return to the same land over and over again with each cycle. In addition, the four lord souls from the last game are present. Again, I suppose it's possible that these souls reincarnated as beings in a distant land, rather than the land occupied by Lordran.

What is the strong evidence against this being Lordran? The only thing blatant that I see is the geological difference, and that's not enough for me, given the amount of time that's past.

Staff member
We should discuss that then. We know from NPCs that the kingdom was not always called Drangleic, and in fact has been known by many names long forgotten. I suppose the items could've gradually found there way across the land through various adventurers. It makes sense to me that the chosen undead would return to the same land over and over again with each cycle. In addition, the four lord souls from the last game are present. Again, I suppose it's possible that these souls reincarnated as beings in a distant land, rather than the land occupied by Lordran.

What is the strong evidence against this being Lordran? The only thing blatant that I see is the geological difference, and that's not enough for me, given the amount of time that's past.
Hang on, PvP atm

Staff member
This is all mostly from memory, so there might be a mistakes. Also, since tis is a Souls game, it is largely up to speculation and whether you want it to be Lordran or not. The devs set it up that way on purpose. So this explanation does not so much rule out it being Lordran as suggesting an alternate story.

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS, THERE WILL BE MAJOR SPOILERS. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CREATE A SPOILER WINDOW, SO THIS IS THE BEST YOU'LL GET AS A WARNING. YOU HAV BEEN WARNED!

First of all, we know that most of the gods and goddesses of Lordran fled Anor Londo long ago, and went to a far away land. Gwyndolin, to keep many of the knights and warriors in Anor Londo, created an illusion of Gwyndolin, and some of those knights and warriors were possibly even illusions themselves. I believe they were not all illusions, that Gwynevere was the only illusion in Anor Londo. Once she was dispelled and Gwyndolin's illusion broken, I think they simply left and went looking for the real gods and goddesses, or possibly just wandered. I think they mostly stayed in Lordran, though.

Now that that is established, we have architecture and weapon and armor styles in Drangleic that are eerily similar to those in Lordran. I believe the gods and goddesses that fled established a home on Drangleic (Heide's Tower of Flame) and acquired a host of worshippers. They went by different names, but tried to make Drangleic as much like their old homeland as possible.

Next, Queen Nashandra, the remains of a piece of Manus's soul, finds her way to Drangleic. She finds the King, and convinces him to invade the "Land of the Giants". I believe that land was Lordran. He invades Lordran, takes advantage of its turmoil, and wreaks havoc before returning to Drangleic with a mysterious "Prize".

It is not stated what exactly this prize is, but whatever it was, it spurred the giants to reunite and strike back in force. This possibly explains the fact they no longer sport most weapons and armor, and look far more barbaric than they did in the first game. They were a broken race before and during the invasion. But rallied to a common cause once again, they stormed Drangleic and brung the empire to its knees.

What would drive them to do this? It could simply be revenge, or the prize could have been the Lord Vessel, still containing the Four Lord Souls. It is stated that the King used four mighty souls of giants to forge his empire and make it great. It is also implied that the curse followed around the time he attacked the giants.

As to how many of the items found there way to Drangelic, more prizes, more than likely.

I have a lot more speculating I can do, but I have a friend messaging me for some Co Op.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Yes, the illusion of Anor Londo. The sentinel guards were illusory, as was the sun itself, as evidenced by their disapperance upon shooting the illusion of Gwynevere. Only the silver knights, painting guardians, the firekeeper, and giant blacksmith remain.

I don't believe the giants in the 2nd game are the same as those in the 1st. Different giants. But this is where I think the devs may be working to connect Dark Souls with Demon's Souls. I know initially, they said that the stories are not connected, but I think they've changed their minds at some point. Are you familiar with Demon's Souls? The premise and most of the terminology are right in line with Dark Souls. Demon's Souls references "the Northern Land of Giants" and the connection to that land being destroyed in a futile attempt to contain the undead curse. I haven't seen anyone else put forth this theory yet, so it's far fetched at this point, but I'll quietly take credit if it turns out to be true!

Anyway, Drangleic may not be Lordran. At this point it's impossible to say for sure. Perhaps a DLC will eventually shed some light. I do think it's interesting how the events of the 1st game are now little more than myth.

Staff member
Yes, the illusion of Anor Londo. The sentinel guards were illusory, as was the sun itself, as evidenced by their disapperance upon shooting the illusion of Gwynevere. Only the silver knights, painting guardians, the firekeeper, and giant blacksmith remain.

I don't believe the giants in the 2nd game are the same as those in the 1st. Different giants. But this is where I think the devs may be working to connect Dark Souls with Demon's Souls. I know initially, they said that the stories are not connected, but I think they've changed their minds at some point. Are you familiar with Demon's Souls? The premise and most of the terminology are right in line with Dark Souls. Demon's Souls references "the Northern Land of Giants" and the connection to that land being destroyed in a futile attempt to contain the undead curse. I haven't seen anyone else put forth this theory yet, so it's far fetched at this point, but I'll quietly take credit if it turns out to be true!

Anyway, Drangleic may not be Lordran. At this point it's impossible to say for sure. Perhaps a DLC will eventually shed some light. I do think it's interesting how the events of the 1st game are now little more than myth.
Is it stated anywhere in the game that the giants are illusions? The blacksmith wasn't an illusions, was he? The weapons and armour and souls aren't illusions, are they? They simply LEFT Anor Londo imo.

Staff member
And the Demon's Souls theory has been around for awhile. I haven't heard someone adapt it to Dark Souls 2 yet, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

And did you ever SEE a giant without their armor on in Dark Souls? And there is a reasonable amount of time for their empire to degrade between the games, and them along with it.

Clau

The Fateless One

Thanks for the information.

I would like to ask one more question:

In the end of Dark Souls you were given an option to bring upon the age of fire or age of dark, based on the lore of Dark Souls II, which age transpired?

This would really make my RP compelling as I haven't figured out for myself on how Dark Souls and Dark Souls II stories are entwined nor have I found self-evidence from the game to support both events, atleast from my point of view. Part of me strongly believes that the age of fire was extended at the end of Dark Souls, but that's just me talking.

Staff member
Let me get on my lap top. My phone isn't good for long posts.

Staff member

Thanks for the information.

I would like to ask one more question:

In the end of Dark Souls you were given an option to bring upon the age of fire or age of dark, based on the lore of Dark Souls II, which age transpired?

This would really make my RP compelling as I haven't figured out for myself on how Dark Souls and Dark Souls II stories are entwined nor have I found self-evidence from the game.
To answer you simply, the age of fire is still going, otherwise there would be no bonfires. The fire is still fighting and struggling for life, as it always has. The stories are entwined in that they are in the same world, and the previous game and this one collided somehow. (giants invaded Drangleic after Drangleic invaded giants). Not only that, but the lord souls from the previous game are still alive and kicking, though they haven't aged well. The fire keepers, now very old and withered, are also present. Though only one of them still retains the status of firekeeper (old hags from beginning and Emerald Herald). This much is all fact.

This next part, once again, is my speculation. Spoiler Alert.

My theory about the first game's ending and ultimate goal is that EVERY Chosen Undead's ending was canon. Time is convoluted in the Souls games, and the barriers between dimensions often shift and allow us to travel between these dimensions. Thus, I believe the game is a huge balancing act. Either you kindle the first flame, and help keep the fire going, or walk out, and become the Dark Lord and await the age of dark. I believe the age of dark equals the end of the world, gods and humans. We know from the dlc and what happened to Oolacile that the dark is definitely NOT good for humans, and the abyss not only destroyed godlike beings it encountered, but corrupted the humans as well. It is very symbolic, in my opinion, though there will be time to talk about that later.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts