Dark brotherhood overhaul

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Shadowhunter377

I'm sure i'm not the only one who was underwhelmed with the Dark brotherhood in skyrim. Don't get me wrong, it was a very fun but I was left wanting more from it. So i'm going to be making a big mod which will :

- For each main city, their will be a sanctuary hidden around it, these sanctuaries will contain unique db members who will give you contracts and quests to do. Each sanctuary will have its own main quest, but you can only acess them after you've discovered you're a listener. Each sanctuary will also have a leader like Astrid. Some sanctuaries will be more traditional than others.

-Main quest changed so Falkreath and Dawnstar sanctuary will be operating fully. Dawnstar won't need to be restored as its already working fully with it's own members and quests. This means no Falkreath members die . (If anyone has some good new ideas for the main quest feel free to let me know below).

-Throughout skyrim's cities and lands their will be roaming db members because why should we be the only members to do contracts.

-Each sanctuary will have merchants who will sell lot's of different variations of shrouded armour and robes. I may make it that each santuary's armour is colour coded. (Please give me your opinion on this)For now i'm basically looking for ideas and a bit of help.

-Mage assasains will be in for a treat as i'm adding in new spells, creating ancient shrouded robes and adding unenchanted robes so you can make them to you personal choice. They're will be more ranged spells and more useful illusion spells to make the mage assasain class more balanced and fun.

- Sanctuaries will focus on a certain class or aspect. For example, Whiterun sanctuary could focus on archery while the riften sanctuary could focus on illusion.

I know my way round the creation kit but help would save timePlease let me know ideas for -

-Unique members and quest givers.
-Armour/weapon designs.-Main quest ideas.
-Any other ideas.

Work will begin in mid June as this is when my computer comes back from being repaired.

Diego The Assassin

Thalmor Slaughterer.
How about have it where when you have to re-build the Dark Brotherhood, I like the idea of having more Dark Brotherhood stuff and having each Brotherhood member different! After the Falkreath sanctuary gets destroyed, you can recruit followers to the DB for that sanctuary. Maby specialize someone, that person could be the person you can get to help you set up more sanctuary's. Maby add some new potions and poisons that you can buy from the Brotherhood's shop keepers. I can give you a ton of ideas if you need, I have several ideas to make the Dark Brotherhood amazing!

tsi25

You could also make each sanctuary have a different general focus, like one sanctuary focuses primarily on magic, and horrific illusion and destruction spells, then another one has bizarre and excessively efficient poisons, while another one has a smithy that makes amazing dual wield weapons, etcetera etcetera... that way there is a sanctuary tailored to just about any assassin's taste (of course there would be overlap, each sanctuary would need to be self sufficient of course...)

Shadowhunter377

Thanks guys great ideas! :D I like the idea of having the sanctuarys focus on a certain class, and having new potions, weapons and poisons is a definite. Keep the ideas coming! Right now I need some quest ideas cause I havnt got any 'Great questlines' yet for any of the sanctuaries :sadface:

Diego The Assassin

Thalmor Slaughterer.
"Reviving The Five Tenants" Or "Destroy The Tenants!"
This quest will be given to you in the Whiterun Sanctuary by the Leader of that Sanctuary (unlock able only after slaughtering the Emperor) you will receive a letter from a new type of courier (A dark Brotherhood Courier, he has "Shrouded Clothes" and is a master at magic) the letter will say "Come to the Whiterun sanctuary at once brother!" This will prompt you to go to the Sanctuary, once inside the leader will be waiting, the leader will say "Hello friend! I hope Sithis is giving you much luck! So I know your our great and valuable listener so I was thinking maby we can re-build the Dark Brotherhood, back to the it used to be! We have heard of an old Shrine to Sithis wich possibly holds several original copy's of the Five Tenants!" You will then get the option to either say "Alright where is his shrine?" Or "How will this help restore the Tenants?" The leader will say "it's in the mountains of Solitude" Or "Well it might not do anything but, well its in the mountains of Solitude!" you'll then be sent on your way.

You then go speak to the Night Mother about this and she will tell you that you can burn the books or take them to each Sanctuary she will say "it doesn't matter because the Sanctuary's that are following the old ways and the other Sanctuary's are both doing well with contracts."

When you arrive at the Shrine you'll see a treasure chest, if you open it you'll get a new poison "Poison of Sithis" it makes the opponent bleed out until they die. when you go in you'll find more treasures and other items (The protectors of the Shrine are shadows of old dead Dark Brotherhood people.) when you get to the end you'll find a room with skeleton that was shot against a wall, he will be carrying "The Bane of Sithis" it is just a new sword with the poison of Sithis as an enchantment. then you can get the books and leave the Shrine wich will then make you go to each Sanctuary and hand out the Tenants. Or you can burn the books, this will fail the "Reviving of the Tenants" and Start the "Destroy the Tenants!" quest, both will give you a reward of 500 gold and several new potions and poisons. This will also give you the option to make the shrine a much larger sanctuary, it will be a different quest that I will explain later.

Shadowhunter377

"Reviving The Five Tenants" Or "Destroy The Tenants!"
This quest will be given to you in the Whiterun Sanctuary by the Leader of that Sanctuary (unlock able only after slaughtering the Emperor) you will receive a letter from a new type of courier (A dark Brotherhood Courier, he has "Shrouded Clothes" and is a master at magic) the letter will say "Come to the Whiterun sanctuary at once brother!" This will prompt you to go to the Sanctuary, once inside the leader will be waiting, the leader will say "Hello friend! I hope Sithis is giving you much luck! So I know your our great and valuable listener so I was thinking maby we can re-build the Dark Brotherhood, back to the it used to be! We have heard of an old Shrine to Sithis wich possibly holds several original copy's of the Five Tenants!" You will then get the option to either say "Alright where is his shrine?" Or "How will this help restore the Tenants?" The leader will say "it's in the mountains of Solitude" Or "Well it might not do anything but, well its in the mountains of Solitude!" you'll then be sent on your way.

You then go speak to the Night Mother about this and she will tell you that you can burn the books or take them to each Sanctuary she will say "it doesn't matter because the Sanctuary's that are following the old ways and the other Sanctuary's are both doing well with contracts."

When you arrive at the Shrine you'll see a treasure chest, if you open it you'll get a new poison "Poison of Sithis" it makes the opponent bleed out until they die. when you go in you'll find more treasures and other items (The protectors of the Shrine are shadows of old dead Dark Brotherhood people.) when you get to the end you'll find a room with skeleton that was shot against a wall, he will be carrying "The Bane of Sithis" it is just a new sword with the poison of Sithis as an enchantment. then you can get the books and leave the Shrine wich will then make you go to each Sanctuary and hand out the Tenants. Or you can burn the books, this will fail the "Reviving of the Tenants" and Start the "Destroy the Tenants!" quest, both will give you a reward of 500 gold and several new potions and poisons. This will also give you the option to make the shrine a much larger sanctuary, it will be a different quest that I will explain later.

Dude that's awosome! These are the kinda ideas i'd hoped people would give :D Yay the first quest is sorted! Btw should I go with the idea of color-coding each sanctuaries armour and robes, like falkreath has red (as it does now). and windhelm could have an icy blue which would replace the red part of the current db armour?

tsi25

as far as color goes, make one thats just jet black, with no coloration, maybe for one of the towns near the swamp area?

I'm not sure how you would do this exactly, but since each sanctuary would focus on a different class, maybe people in the sanctuaries would desire items from other sanctuaries, and proposition you to fetch them, for instance, some on from the knife sanctuary wants a specific poison from some one in the poison sanctuary.

For a main quest idea, have one of the sanctuaries go rogue, and start killing the semi-non-essential members of the other sanctuaries and eventually coming after the player. the night mother will say that the leader must be killed, as he/she has rejected sithis, and that you will also probably have to purge the entire sanctuary. you go to assassinate the leader BUT its anticipated. the leader reveals to you through dialogue, probably forced dialogue so that you dont kill the leader immediately, that a number of other sanctuaries is sympathetic to their cause, and that they believe there needs to be a new night mother. then its just like the rebel vs empire quest line, except extremely covert where choose a side, defending the old ways, or instilling the new, meet up with bands of assassins in pre decided locations, and launch raids on enemy sanctuaries, or act as a "counter-assassin" to stop the other side from making money, etcetera, until all of the enemy sanctuaries are taken over by your side and repopulated.

if you choose the rebel side, then at the end of the quest final quest in which you had to devise some... really creative way to assassinate the night mother herself, you return to the main rebel sanctuary that all is well and victory and that its time for her to become the night mother but you see her(probably from behind a window or iron screen or something to prevent you interfering) getting absolutely butchered by a last ditch effort to assassinate her by the enemy side, she falls, dead, and the enemy assassins rejoice. as they are doing this her ghost rises from the grave, slaughters all of them, and proclaims that she is the night mother. her corpse shrivels, or blackens or some such thing, possibly both, the ghost goes back into it, and the next time you see the night mother's coffin, it has been moved to that sanctuary and she is inside of it.

(this quest would be kind of brutally long to do, and i kinda just made it up on the spot so feel free to critique... if you do it though, good luck on finding voice actors...)

Diego The Assassin

Thalmor Slaughterer.
Thats a really interesting idea, however you would totally destroy the Brotherhood if the Night Mother is killed.

"Oh I'm sorry did you want to live here?"
In this quest you will be given a message from the Night Mother, she will write it in blood on the floor, the writing will go away after the quest is done. The message will say, "Listener, I want you to create a brand new Sanctuary, it will be the Dark Brotherhood Headquarters, I want our new base to be located in the Shrine Of Sithis, go find the Dark Brotherhood Decorator and tell him what you wish to purchase." You will then go and find the decorator (wherever you put him on the map) take him to the Shrine, when you enter the Shrine you will find that a large number of Pennitus Occulatus have invaded the Shrine, you have to fight your way through the Shrine with the Decorator, when you finally reach the end of the Shrine (Where you found the books of the Five Tenants) there will be a man who replaced Commander Maro, the very first thing he will say is "Oh I'm sorry did you want to live here, in this Demon Shrine, even the Demoric shrines are nicer, and have guardians! We were free to loot, and pillage the place as we saw fit.

The three will fight (I should probably mention, the decorator is un-killable) then when the leader is dead the decorator will say alright this place looks nice! What do you want in this place? you will then get to decide from a large number of mandatory items (you will be given the choice of other items after the mandatory items have been purchased.)

ShadowScale Training Facility-2500 gold, makes a large room into a ShadowScale training room where several Argonians will be getting trained by an Argonian that is wearing a Black Hand Robe

Forge/Armory-1800 gold, makes a room into a forge room, complete with an Armory.

Training Facility-2500 gold, adds a training room.

Mage room-5500 gold, adds an enchanter and a potion maker (sorry I forgot what its called) and several items that are used in potion making and a book shelf filled with instructions on how to make several potions, and another one for potions.

Night Mother Shrine-2300 gold, makes a large room into a Shrine the Night Mother. The Night Mother will be moved into the Shrine of Sithis.

Dark Door-500 gold, creates a Dark door instead of a concealed locked door.

The quest will end once all the items have been purchased, I will create a list of Sub items that you can purchase to make the Shrine look like an actual Headquarters for a group of Assassins. Please feel free to change anything, add anything, or anything! Lol.
EDIT: Each room except for living areas, will have a person from the Black Hand

Majestic Hedge

How about the ability to recruit followers to the DB, similar to the way you can recruit followers to the blades.

If that's possible.

Diego The Assassin

Thalmor Slaughterer.
Extra Items:

Guard post-1000 gold, adds four guard posts around the Shrine.

Garden, outdoor-500 gold adds a large garden filled with Deathbells, wheat, potato plants, tomato, cabbage, and more Deathbells.

Garden, Indoor-600 gold, makes a room, wich has a nice lighting feature, filled with basically everything that the outdoor garden has.

Shops-10,000 gold, makes a large room into a shopping area, it will have one shop for every Sanctuary and every Sanctuary shop keeper will be wearing there Sanctuary's clothes.

Dorms-12,000 gold, a whole wing of the Shrine will be made into living quarters for the the New Dark Brotherhood members.

Black Hand dorm-24,00 gold, adds another building to the Shrine, a large two story area. the first story has four large rooms. one room for a member of the Black Hand, the second story is just one large room for the listener himself. this room will have an enchanter complete with a whole shelf for soul gems, a potion maker the potion maker has several ingredients and a sink type thing that has water falling into it. It will have a large bed that has a Black Hand on it. You will have a place to put your Dragon priest masks. you will have an area for magic using, it will have a practice dummy and some new spell tomes. the magic area will have a treasure chest that some scrolls in it.

Secret entrances-50,000 gold, puts a secret entrances for the Headquarters in every Sanctuary, the Headquarters will also have secret entrances for each of the other Sanctuary's.

Flags-50 gold, the flags will be placed on all the houses that you own the flags will have a black hand.

basement-500 gold, a basement will be made, the basement will have a small bookshelf a weapon rack a test dummy several mead barrels, food barrels, several iron weapons, several food barrels.

feel free to change, add, remove, or anything to this.

tsi25

Also, the sanctuary outside of Markarth should have the backstory of being originally used as a sanctuary for dwemer assassins, adopted for human use.

ShapelessHorr0r

for one of the sanctuaries armor, make it the thieves guild one but without the cape and make it look deadric. deadric + thieves is awesome

Skarv

I am still mad that Veezera died, he was one of my favorites, I mean seriously......Oh yeah and now I am in the Dawnstar Sanctuary, and want to know when are the contracts going to stop like appearing? I know they will run out someday, but what happens then anyone know?

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Dang, I wish we could do this on the 360. :sadface:

Diego The Assassin

Thalmor Slaughterer.
as far as color goes, make one thats just jet black, with no coloration, maybe for one of the towns near the swamp area?

I'm not sure how you would do this exactly, but since each sanctuary would focus on a different class, maybe people in the sanctuaries would desire items from other sanctuaries, and proposition you to fetch them, for instance, some on from the knife sanctuary wants a specific poison from some one in the poison sanctuary.

For a main quest idea, have one of the sanctuaries go rogue, and start killing the semi-non-essential members of the other sanctuaries and eventually coming after the player. the night mother will say that the leader must be killed, as he/she has rejected sithis, and that you will also probably have to purge the entire sanctuary. you go to assassinate the leader BUT its anticipated. the leader reveals to you through dialogue, probably forced dialogue so that you dont kill the leader immediately, that a number of other sanctuaries is sympathetic to their cause, and that they believe there needs to be a new night mother. then its just like the rebel vs empire quest line, except extremely covert where choose a side, defending the old ways, or instilling the new, meet up with bands of assassins in pre decided locations, and launch raids on enemy sanctuaries, or act as a "counter-assassin" to stop the other side from making money, etcetera, until all of the enemy sanctuaries are taken over by your side and repopulated.

if you choose the rebel side, then at the end of the quest final quest in which you had to devise some... really creative way to assassinate the night mother herself, you return to the main rebel sanctuary that all is well and victory and that its time for her to become the night mother but you see her(probably from behind a window or iron screen or something to prevent you interfering) getting absolutely butchered by a last ditch effort to assassinate her by the enemy side, she falls, dead, and the enemy assassins rejoice. as they are doing this her ghost rises from the grave, slaughters all of them, and proclaims that she is the night mother. her corpse shrivels, or blackens or some such thing, possibly both, the ghost goes back into it, and the next time you see the night mother's coffin, it has been moved to that sanctuary and she is inside of it.

(this quest would be kind of brutally long to do, and i kinda just made it up on the spot so feel free to critique... if you do it though, good luck on finding voice actors...)
I was just thinking about this and its a really great idea, I'm all for it however, if this happened it would be almost exactly what happened with the Morang Tang. The Brotherhood would be split in two. Without the Night Mother there would be no way for the Brotherhood to exist. The Night Mother gives contracts, think about what would have happened if Dragonborn wasn't the listener. There would be no listener, no montierr no flourishing brotherhood, only one reamaning sanctuary in all of Tamriel. Besides the Penitus Oculatus knew where the sanctuary was... (echoed) disaster

tsi25

i think you missed the part where the rebellion leader becomes the new night mother, i suppose if it makes it easier to visualize, the ghost could stay outside and move around the sanctuary like she does in oblivion, i just said that she returned to the corpse because in skyrim the nightmother is a corpse and not a ghost

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts