• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...I gauged the damage...
How are you measuring damage? The only valid method of measuring damage accurately is through the use of console commands. I'm skeptical as to whether you did this because you didn't post actual numbers which is what's normally done when posting test results using console commands to compare damage. If you're relying on your visual perception of the health bar on the game screen that's completely unreliable.

There's also a problem with basing your conclusion on one comparison. If there's a valid variance then it should be confirmed by multiple testing. I generally prefer to run tests 10 times minimum but I often run more, especially if I find something I think is odd.

How are you measuring damage? The only valid method of measuring damage accurately is through the use of console commands. I'm skeptical as to whether you did this because you didn't post actual numbers which is what's normally done when posting test results using console commands to compare damage. If you're relying on your visual perception of the health bar on the game screen that's completely unreliable.

There's also a problem with basing your conclusion on one comparison. If there's a valid variance then it should be confirmed by multiple testing. I generally prefer to run tests 10 times minimum but I often run more, especially if I find something I think is odd.
Like I said, I need to go back and do this a second time. I completely forgot to write down the numbers because I was in a rush and had to get going somewhere.

Dagmar

Anyone else like Linwe's armor? It's like sleeveless thieves guild armor :)
What does this have to do with this thread? :confused:

In any event since you revived it over a month later I'd like to point out something which most of us already suspected which is that Dragon armors don't offer additional protection notwithstanding MetalMoose13 claiming to the contrary.

Aside from the fact that an examination of the armors and Dragons in the Creation Kit simply doesn't support this which is generally definitive and the fact that it's very hard if not impossible to gauge damage properly on a PS3, I ran some console tests and while generally there is always a small variance in damage from attack to attack, using an Ancient Dragon on Master setting , which gives the best measuring range, showed that there was less than a 1 percent variance in damage reduction between attacks on my character with a full set of Guild Master's Armor with an armor rating of 987 and a full set of Dragonscale Armor with an armor rating of 1638. This was with 15 data points for each set.

The less than 1 percent variance is conclusive evidence that there is no additional protection against Dragon attacks afforded by Dragon armors, especially given that the variance often favored the Guild Master's Armor.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Actually I make and have every variety of heavy armor and legendary smithing, but my character wears self-enchanted ebony mail because a Crow Goddess demands to always look her best!

Assuming this is enough to hit or exceed whatever armor cap this game has, am I doing my character any disservice by not equipping daedric or dragonplate?

Dagmar

Actually I make and have every variety of heavy armor and legendary smithing, but my character wears self-enchanted ebony mail because a Crow Goddess demands to always look her best!

Assuming this is enough to hit or exceed whatever armor cap this game has, am I doing my character any disservice by not equipping daedric or dragonplate?
No. If you have the ability to get your armor rating high enough to achieve the physical damage resistance cap it's purely a matter of aesthetics and role play.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
No. If you have the ability to get your armor rating high enough to achieve the physical damage resistance cap it's purely a matter of aesthetics and role play.

This is true. After realizing this was the case, I simply forged a godly pair of hide bracers for my illusion assassin, and just wore robes everywhere else. As long as you hit armor cap (587-ish, or 80% damage reduction) you are getting the maximum benefit of armor. Anything after that isn't helping you.

Dagmar

This is true. After realizing this was the case, I simply forged a godly pair of hide bracers for my illusion assassin, and just wore robes everywhere else. As long as you hit armor cap (587-ish, or 80% damage reduction) you are getting the maximum benefit of armor. Anything after that isn't helping you.
That setup wont work at 567. 567 is the displayed armor rating you need to hit the cap with 4 pieces of armor equipped. The actual armor rating you need is 667. This is because armor pieces each give an additional 25 points of hidden armor rating that doesn't show up in displayed armor rating and is counted in calculating physical damage resistance. If you're only wearing bracers (which you can only get that high by using exploits) then your displayed armor rating has to be 642.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
That setup wont work at 567. 567 is the displayed armor rating you need to hit the cap with 4 pieces of armor equipped. The actual armor rating you need is 667. This is because armor pieces each give an additional 25 points of hidden armor rating that doesn't show up in displayed armor rating and is counted in calculating physical damage resistance. If you're only wearing bracers (which you can only get that high by using exploits) then your displayed armor rating has to be 642.

I see. I wasn't exactly aiming for heavy armor, just enough to survive 2 hits on master with difficulty mods. Because of getting 1-shot by everything, it made it feel as if only heavy armor mages were viable, however once I figured out how to do massive increases on reforges, it made playing other characters with different gear possible (because I can take 2-4 hits instead of getting 1-shot).

Before I was playing a heavy armored mage using become ethereal to tank around 4 hits and then fade away to regenerate.

I had no idea about the number of heavy pieces though. I'd probably switch it up now, but I can survive enough hits at this point to be able to play, so I think I'll stay where I am.

Do you know if there's a way to calculate the % of reduced damage? I was only paraphrasing what I'd seen other people saying on various forums.

Dagmar

hidden armor rating = 25 per piece worn
damage reduction % = (displayed armor rating + hidden armor rating) * 0.12

risen_sun86

Allen Davis
Okay, after reading this post i was interested in testing it out. I have spent some time on my smithing/enchantments/alchemy and have them all leveled up.. now for the results.

I made both sets of armor legendary with the same bonuses - necklace, ring, gauntlets, and chestplate all enchanted with: +28% better smithing improvements, and then i took a Foritfying Smithing potion that increases armor/weapon improving by 99%.

Now, for the results. The Daedric Armor Rating - 1275. The Dragonplate Armor Rating - 1254. Close, but the Daedric armor is the best armor in the game.

Any armor can be smithed up to the Cap, after that, you can't get any more protection. So, if you're Crafting, the "Best" armor you can make depends on what you want out of it. I'd say Elven for these criteria, because it can be smithed up to 80% physical protection, is the lightest, can be perked for Stamina Regeneration, and enchants real good.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Holy Necro, batman!

almost a year

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Only downside is dragon plate's gimp mask.

dragonborn0530

You did,
Daedric.jpg
you didnt upgrade fully, my dragonplat is around 350 my deadra is 330 and wont go any higher
Daedric Full Set Armor at Legendary: 610

Dragonplate.jpg

Dragonplate Full Set Armor at Legendary: 585

That's a 25+ armor rating for a full set of Daedric armor without enchanting any piece of clothing to improve smithing skill or drinking any smithing potions.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
What the hell!!! Can we stop Necroing this thread!?!?!?!?!?
(Yes, I realize I'm not helping in the slightest)

Kharne

So why not just have a suit of deadric and a suit of dragonplate then wouldn't that solve the issue it's not as if you'd be sacrificing anything at that point especially if you took steed stone and conditioning perks

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Since this thread was conceived before I joined the community, I'll comment.

Ancient Nord armor with daedric smithing perk may have the best protection to weight ratio of the heavy armors. Though I don't have the figures with me, it offers less protection than either dragon or daedric, yet weighs about half what they do.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
-Plus it looks cooler
Than what? You either look like a demented black & red monster or a demented albino monster. Of cours, if that's the look you're going for... Personally, if I'm going to look like a freak, I'll go glass. That way I look like a seamonster. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts