• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Anonylulz

My upgraded dragon-plate does 970 armor protection with heavy-armor enchantments. Just made a character who can make heavy armor first so I'll see how Deadric stacks up soon.

Tip: don't use heavy armor. There is an armor cap of 567 (i believe that's the right number) armor rating, above which there will be no further damage reduction. If you get your smithing to 100, enchant yourself some smithing armor, get the dragon smithing perk and some light armor perks along with some blacksmith potions, and you can easily reach that cap with dragonscale armor. That way, you get maximum armor without being slowed down by heavy armor.

EDIT: Just saw the post above me had basically the same information. Hopefully I elaborated on it a bit :\
Yeah, but one: Nearly everyone I have asked think Heavy sets look better than light.
Two: With Conditioning perk, that doesn't matter. Same with Steed Stone active.
Three: There are far better (or at least, in my humble opinnion) perks in the heavy armor line.
Four: Well, that's about it. But as said above, the armor perks for heavy are better. You can't have fists of fur or glass, can you? And I am pretty sure that leather won't protect you from up to half the damage of a fall. :p

Ok, you know what? I will end it all with words that almost everyone who has posted has already said.
The cap is at 567, so Dragons won't give a skeever's tail whether you use the Evil-looking, unsymmetrical Daedric Armor or the smooth, intimidating Dragonplate. Get over it, bring out some nice ale, grab a sweet roll and make some armor so you don't get knocked on your hide by a gaurd every time you fail a pickpocket or decide to murder a poor NPC.

Hai-raoul

Dragon plate looks terrible, I was as disapointed with it as I was with skooma, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I use full daedric even though dragon is better, and anyway, once you get into the high 500's in armor rating, a few points doesn't make that big a difference anyway :p

Dragon plate looks terrible, I was as disapointed with it as I was with skooma, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I use full daedric even though dragon is better, and anyway, once you get into the high 500's in armor rating, a few points doesn't make that big a difference anyway :p
That is very much a matter of oppinion, for I think Dragon Plate looks amazing. Daedric looks stupid because of the lopsided horns and shield- but you don't think that as well, now do you?

Hai-raoul

Haha well yea, sorry if I came across as narrow minded, I do realize that not everyone has the same opinion as me, and i completely respect others opinions!
I was simply trying to convey how much I personally dislike said armor.
I like the asymmetrical characteristics of the daedric armor, but again, that's just me.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...With Conditioning perk, that doesn't matter...
The Conditioning perk requires 70 Heavy Armor skill. Unless you like spending lots of time as a human punching bag in a brawl you aren't going to get Conditioning for many levels
...Same with Steed Stone active...
Which means you have to give up the benefit of another Standing Stone.
...There are far better (or at least, in my humble opinnion) perks in the heavy armor line...
The fact is that 8 of the perks points you can invest in either perk line do the exact same thing. As for the rest of the heavy armor perks:

1 of them is useful if you like running off of high cliffs a lot. :rolleyes:

1 is a novelty item so you can punch NPC's for a little bit more damage in brawls that you could probably win without the perk. :cool:

1 just plain sucks as the ultimate perk, which makes it no worse or better than the ultimate perks in any of the weapon and armor skill perk lines. :mad:

The only perks worth comparing outside the identical effect ones are the 50% less stagger versus the 50% faster stamina regeneration. Your play style should be far more relevant in choosing heavy versus light armor than the benefit of either perk.

Necromis

Personally on an asthetic point of view I think one of the best armours is the nightengale armour which is a light armour, also the ancient shrouded armour, too. So based on asthetics either line is great. Dwarven is very clunky looking, too.

The Conditioning perk requires 70 Heavy Armor skill. Unless you like spending lots of time as a human punching bag in a brawl you aren't going to get Conditioning for many levels

Which means you have to give up the benefit of another Standing Stone.

The fact is that 8 of the perks points you can invest in either perk line do the exact same thing. As for the rest of the heavy armor perks:

1 of them is useful if you like running off of high cliffs a lot. :rolleyes:

1 is a novelty item so you can punch NPC's for a little bit more damage in brawls that you could probably win without the perk. :cool:

1 just plain sucks as the ultimate perk, which makes it no worse or better than the ultimate perks in any of the weapon and armor skill perk lines. :mad:

The only perks worth comparing outside the identical effect ones are the 50% less stagger versus the 50% faster stamina regeneration. Your play style should be far more relevant in choosing heavy versus light armor than the benefit of either perk.

Are you kidding me? I got to 70 heavy Armor at level 20 by playing normally.

And...? All of the standing stones except the Gaurdians are rather dull anyways. Most of them can be duplicated as many times as you want with alchemy, perks, and spells. The Steed is perfect because you can use it until you get Conditioning. besides- the Heavy armor's speed reduction is barely noticeable and the stamina problem can be fixed pretty easily.

You know what? there should be a Clothes skill. Then mages wouldn't be left out.

1 of them is for anyone, no matter how many cliffs they purposefully jump off.

1 of them makes your fists better than a legendary daedric sword.

1 of them... wait what was that perk again?

honestly, I can argue almost everything you say. I once made an anti-nature type of person believe that moth larvae was cute.

Dagmar

Are you kidding me? I got to 70 heavy Armor at level 20 by playing normally.
And for 20 levels you didn't have it. Thanks for proving my point.

And...? All of the standing stones except the Gaurdians are rather dull anyways. Most of them can be duplicated as many times as you want with alchemy, perks, and spells.
And you could say the same about the the Steed Stone but it completely misses the point. You don't have to do anything with light armor to get the benefit of having less weight. Further it's not only lighter, it makes less noise. The Steed Stone is not going to change that with heavy armor because it only deals with weight.

1 of them is for anyone, no matter how many cliffs they purposefully jump off.
No it isn't. If you don't fall off a cliff or a high ledge you're never going to benefit from it. The only time I ever fell of a cliff was because of a stupid talking dog. :D

1 of them makes your fists better than a legendary daedric sword.
LOLWUT? Fists of steel only does damage equal to the base armor rating of the gauntlets not the displayed armor rating. Because there's no unarmed skill, unlike weapons, there's no skill multiplier for damage either. The cold hard fact is your damage is capped at 50 with the Fists of Steel perk and that's only if you know how to get it to 50 with enchanting.

And for 20 levels you didn't have it. Thanks for proving my point.

And you could say the same about the the Steed Stone but it completely misses the point. You don't have to do anything with light armor to get the benefit of having less weight. Further it's not only lighter, it makes less noise. The Steed Stone is not going to change that with heavy armor because it only deals with weight.

No it isn't. If you don't fall off a cliff or a high ledge you're never going to benefit from it. The only time I ever fell of a cliff was because of a stupid talking dog. :D

LOLWUT? Fists of steel only does damage equal to the base armor rating of the gauntlets not the displayed armor rating. Because there's no unarmed skill, unlike weapons, there's no skill multiplier for damage either. The cold hard fact is your damage is capped at 50 with the Fists of Steel perk and that's only if you know how to get it to 50 with enchanting.
And...? I didn't need it for twenty levels- and still really don't.

Actually, Light Armor also takes away from speed and stamina, but less. It doesn't matter if it makes less noise, because you still make some noise.

Well then you are the luckiest skeever-tail I have ever met. Me and every one of my friends, light armor or heavy, has fallen off enough cliffs to know that that perk is essential- ESPECIALLY in certain quests which shant be named for fear of angering Assassain (my friend's nickname.) He got so angry at the quest that he very nearly broke my controller in half, and all because of cliff-falls.

Well that's new to me... because I did a good hundred damage to that giant when I fought him directly after the Draugr Lord guy who uses disarm. It took me forever to find my sword... turns out it landed in the giant's campfire, but that is beside the point.

Dagmar

Actually, Light Armor also takes away from speed and stamina, but less.
Which means you can sprint longer and faster. In conjunction with the stamina regeneration perk, it's handy for players that don't use fast travel much or at all.

It doesn't matter if it makes less noise, because you still make some noise.
It does matter for a stealth build. Your likelihood to be detected from the sound from your movement in heavy armor is significantly greater than in light armor.

Well that's new to me... because I did a good hundred damage to that giant when I fought him directly after the Draugr Lord guy who uses disarm. It took me forever to find my sword... turns out it landed in the giant's campfire, but that is beside the point.
Power attack will still double your damage. It changes nothing about the complete absurdity of claiming it makes your fists better than a Legendary Daedric Sword.

Which means you can sprint longer and faster. In conjunction with the stamina regeneration perk, it's handy for players that don't use fast travel much or at all.

It does matter for a stealth build. Your likelihood to be detected from the sound from your movement in heavy armor is significantly greater than in light armor.

Power attack will still double your damage. It changes nothing about the complete absurdity of claiming it makes your fists better than a Legendary Daedric Sword.
BUT IT IS STILL LESS THAN CLOTHES. And again, once you reach Seventy (which I realized isn't easy with armor but is easy with any other skill) in Heavy Armor you can do better than in light.

Enchantments can easily do the same with Heavy Armor. Besides, Clothes are better unless you are using nightengale or ancient dark brotherhood.

I wasn't using a power attack. See what happens when you presume? :p

Dagmar

And how do you know how much damage you did? I'm not presuming anything. The only way you can do 100 damage with Fists of Steel is by using power attack or exploits. You can claim to the contrary but it only makes the claim incredulous.

Saying enchantments are needed pretty much concedes the point...again.

Because giants have 591 health and I did a good 1/6 of it's health in one non-power, non-exploited blow.

Lightarmor needs it to, dummkommf.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I have enjoyed reading this thread and the debate about armor types and perks. I do hope it can continue without resorting to any name calling because I think it has some very interesting information about the game mechanics.

Dagmar

ROFL That's very scientific. Did you break out your tape measurer and measure the bar? You just proved that you don't have any idea how much damage you did. The only way you can know how much damage you do is by using console commands. Saying you must have done 100 damage based on a visual measure is meaningless and reminds me of the console game users that claimed that damage is location based because they shot something in the head and body and the headshot did more damage. It's meaningless, inaccurate and has no persuasive authority. Plenty of PC users have already tested Fists of Steel perk damage accurately and reliably using the console commands and it caps at 50 for normal attacks. It's math not guesswork.

Light armor doesn't need to use enchantments to be better for stealth than heavy armor without the enchantments. That was the point. :rolleyes:

I can see my screen. I use an Xbox, I.E. no console commands. But I can see my screen. It was about 1/6, out of approximately 600 health, which means that I did close to 100 damage. Now I am resorting to silence for I have proven my point to my own self and that is all that matters.

Maybe not to be better than heavy, but you still need a few sneak perks before non-enchanted light armor is any good at silence. That or a good Alteration perk and the muffled spell...

Speaking of Alteration spells, have you noticed that Waterbreathing is actually useless because it takes about sixty seconds to even start taking damage from being underwater?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts