• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

KITTEH

Khajiit
Daedric.jpg

Daedric Full Set Armor at Legendary: 610

Dragonplate.jpg

Dragonplate Full Set Armor at Legendary: 585

That's a 25+ armor rating for a full set of Daedric armor without enchanting any piece of clothing to improve smithing skill or drinking any smithing potions.
How Is your deadric armor so high mine is only 292

SaveVsBedWet

Yes but what do I have to do to get the damned Nightingale armor above Epic?!

I just tried the other day with I believe a 96 Smithing skill, a 22% Fortify Smithing potion, a 20-30% Blacksmith's whatever potion that makes me a good blacksmith presumably, 20% glass gauntlets of "Jeez you're EXTREMEly good at Smithing", a necklace of 12% "Minor Hey Lets Smith Something" and after all of that, I couldn't even get the Nightingale stuff to come off of gray. Not only that, but I couldn't move Mehrune's Razor past Epic either.

What a waste of all that potion stuff. Now I have to go back out and beat the crap out of more sabre cats so I can pull their teeth and make new potions. You know how long it took me running around in the dark to find the last ones?! You know how it felt to gather all that crap and find out all I can improve is an Ebony dagger I pulled off some stiff lame in a cave?

Getting sickuhdis

Swordsmansmith

yes, i recently learned there's an armor cap at 567 so it doesnt matter if you wear fur or daedric if you enchant your way to 567 the armor is equally good. 1000 armor rating and 567 are stopping the same amount of damage 80%.

rucasru

Tip: don't use heavy armor. There is an armor cap of 567 (i believe that's the right number) armor rating, above which there will be no further damage reduction. If you get your smithing to 100, enchant yourself some smithing armor, get the dragon smithing perk and some light armor perks along with some blacksmith potions, and you can easily reach that cap with dragonscale armor. That way, you get maximum armor without being slowed down by heavy armor.

EDIT: Just saw the post above me had basically the same information. Hopefully I elaborated on it a bit :\

Jeff the DragonBorn

Does the Blacksmith Apron that I might have any benefit? I mean any special benefit for enchanting - to make the armor even better?

Right now I use some bracers, a ring, and an amulet and a potion to get the most out of stuff I want to improve. But them I found some blacksmith aprons and wonder if I can enchant them to make it even better

Tiger_Wolff

Started a new toon. Don't want to waste points on both side of the tree, for the best weapon in game. Guess I'm wearing hvy for this toon. Good tips on the armor cap ty.

Jaeger

Does the Blacksmith Apron that I might have any benefit? I mean any special benefit for enchanting - to make the armor even better?

Right now I use some bracers, a ring, and an amulet and a potion to get the most out of stuff I want to improve. But them I found some blacksmith aprons and wonder if I can enchant them to make it even better

The blacksmith apron will be special after you put a Fortify Smitting and Fortify Enchantment enchantment on it.

andrea

the defense you can get depends not only from the smithing 100 but also if you are using smithing boosts, like rings, armor with smithing enchantments and potions that boosts smithing when you upgrade them. Considering all the max boosts you can get, daedric gets the highest def when legendary. In the end Daedric IS the best armor.

Necromis

Man this reminds me of is the original Star Treck or TNG better. LOL In the end both do the job equally well as they both hit the def cap. As has been indicated go with what you personally think looks the best. You can also keep light armour like the DB or nightengale and improve them to get almost to the def cap and keep running up the right side for your weapons. Though for a sneak thief the blade of woe and M's Razor with maxed smithing on them really are all that is necessary for weapons.

The blacksmith apron will be special after you put a Fortify Smitting and Fortify Enchantment enchantment on it.

so where is the mythical fortify enchantment enchantment at? Elder wiki says there is no such enchantment

Jaeger

I just tried the other day with I believe a 96 Smithing skill, a 22% Fortify Smithing potion, a 20-30% Blacksmith's whatever potion that makes me a good blacksmith presumably, 20% glass gauntlets of "Jeez you're EXTREMEly good at Smithing", a necklace of 12% "Minor Hey Lets Smith Something" and after all of that, I couldn't even get the Nightingale stuff to come off of gray. Not only that, but I couldn't move Mehrune's Razor past Epic either.

What a waste of all that potion stuff. Now I have to go back out and beat the crap out of more sabre cats so I can pull their teeth and make new potions. You know how long it took me running around in the dark to find the last ones?! You know how it felt to gather all that crap and find out all I can improve is an Ebony dagger I pulled off some stiff lame in a cave?

Getting sickuhdis

Like iron, leather and furs, it doesn't have a doubling perk so the potions, enchantments must be especially good.

Kuurus

No it isn't. No one can use the same equipment as you because you failed to post any methodology and cited alleged authority to a wiki for which you didn't even provide a link (UESP Skyrim Wiki completely contradicts your claim btw and is based on tested methodology and formulas extrapolated from use of console commands).

It's completely irrelevant what equipment you used anyway because the game mechanics are the same regardless of the fortification gear you wear to make or wear the armor. All displayed armor ratings are calculated by starting with a base mutliplier which uses base armor and smithing effect on armor and all smithing increases for any effective Smithing skill when you improve armor are flat across the board for all armors. If my effective smithing skill adds 10 to a piece of Steel Armor for the base multiplier it adds the same 10 to Ebony Armor or Daedric Armor or Dragonplate Armor, no more and no less. Common sense coupled with a basic understanding of mathematics will tell you that based on these factors it's base armor rating which is determinative of how high an armor rating you can get for any piece of armor.
This is it in a nutshell. Math is factual, not opinion based. It is not possible for dragon plate to receive a bigger boost than daedric does if you are using the exact same scenario on both. If you start with a higher number, you end up with a higher number when the same formula is applied to both.

Disregarding discussions about weight or aesthetics, the original post is simply wrong when it comes to armor rating. Anyone can have their own definition of "better", but if you are talking in terms of a higher armor rating being better, only facts matter, not opinions.

As far as the dragon perk being higher on the smithing tree, I would guess the reason for that is that it allows you to smith both dragonscale and dragonplate and thus is considered a more versatile or beneficial perk.

Necromis

ah but if you go based on math facts with a cap on the defense perk they are both equal in value as anything higher is simply wasted. so agan mathimatically they are still ultimately equal.

Kuurus

Yes, for practical purposes, it makes no difference in this case. I just get sort of amused/shocked/annoyed at people arguing against basic math.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
ah but if you go based on math facts...
It does matter because most people aren't going to grind at the forge and arcane enchanter, and let the village idiot or a mud crab smack them around all day before venturing outside the walls to adventure. All things not being equal, until a player gets those skills up and masters their use, choosing an armor with a better base rating may mean the difference between dying or surviving during an encounter.

It's doable, especially since the last patch. You can even get Guild Master's armor to cap.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts