• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

VolenKiller

The Idealist
Well proven

cmp007

I love my daedric that was my main goal in the game was to have it. Got it smithed a little over 1100 and thats with only like 20% bette smithing with potion so I have alot more I can make. But ever since I got the nightingale armor it has been my favorite. without being smithed its only around like 360 (with perks) but I tihnk it looks way better than the daedric

Seethe

Well i use armor depending on the character. My Orc is in full Orcish. My Nord is in full Wolf armor. Khajiit uses Thieves Guild.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
Isn't all this for nothing if the armor cap is at 580 something?
The cap would be 610 plus whatever the Daedric shield would be improved at Legendary status. Regardless, the answer is yes. People only go above the cap to prove that they have the highest "armor rating" ever smithed using exploits.

dbukalski

The cap would be 610 plus whatever the Daedric shield would be improved at Legendary status. Regardless, the answer is yes. People only go above the cap to prove that they have the highest "armor rating" ever smithed using exploits.

some enemies have weapons that ignore armour. So having higher armour than is strictly necessary at 570 helps in that situation.

And Im still confused. is dragon armour the highest armour rating when legendary?

Al'Amar

The Wood Elf
Enchanting Mistake Perhaps?

nnw157

Okay, let me clarify. I've researched this thoroughly. Daedric has better base rating. When upgraded with all the exploits to the armor cap, they have the same rating. (Daedric actually has more BUT it's obsolete as anything above the cap doesn't do anything) The only reason why people say Dragon Plate is better is because it WEIGHS less then Daedric and can have the same rating. In other words, use Daedric unless you have maxed out enchanting and alchemy and know how to use them.

Jeff the DragonBorn

I'm using Orcash armor and my rating is only 650 +/1 All my smithing skills are maxed and I have made dragon and Deadreah armor but the breastplate I use has a +60 to health so I use it. I tried to enchant new armor but wasn't successful to make the health past 20 - now I have leveled up a bit on enchanting.
Recommendations on what to wear? Seeing all smithing skills are maxed I can make whatever I want. I have a ton of dragon bones and scales so that's not and issue and also some Deadrea hearts.

My helm has a +30 to archery, boots +30 to frost, gauntlets +23 to 2 handed. Amulet +30 to health, magic, and stamina, and ring +50 to health

What do you recommend here? I typically use only heavy armor

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
People only go above the cap to prove that they have the highest "armor rating" ever smithed using exploits.
6747422683_d9e47b0236.jpg

It's not an exploit to use Fortify Smithing gear and Fortify Smithing potions to get most armors to or above the displayed armor rating of 567 required for the maximum physical damage reduction of 80%. :rolleyes:

That being said the OP is wrong. The increase in armor rating from Smithing regardless of whether you use Fortify Smithing gear and potions or not is flat. That is to say it is the same increase across the board for all armors (assuming you have all the Smithing perks). It doesn't ultimately show that way in displayed armor rating because of the actual formula for calculating displayed armor rating.

Here are the Dragonplate and Daedric Armor pieces improved with 100 Smithing skill, the Daedric Smithing perk, the Dragon Armor perk, 100 Heavy Armor skill, and 5 Juggernaut perks:
6747412645_537be0647a.jpg

6747412305_b937c7e315.jpg

And here they are with the additional benefit of 4 pieces of 28% Fortify Smithing apparel and a Blacksmith's Elixir:
6747413319_c751656175.jpg

6747412985_be5e7d5bde.jpg

In the end it's all academic since a full set of either with 100 Heavy Armor skill, 5 Juggernaut Perks, Well Fitted perk, and Matching Set perk improved with 100 Smithing skill will exceed the 567 armor rating. The real reason informed players prefer Daedric Armor over Dragonplate Armor is the same reason players rely on Fortify Smithing gear and potions to get other armors past the 567 armor rating. It's purely for aesthetic reasons.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Regardless you didn't use the same equipment when upgrading. Equally done dragon plate is best after upgrading.
No it isn't. No one can use the same equipment as you because you failed to post any methodology and cited alleged authority to a wiki for which you didn't even provide a link (UESP Skyrim Wiki completely contradicts your claim btw and is based on tested methodology and formulas extrapolated from use of console commands).

It's completely irrelevant what equipment you used anyway because the game mechanics are the same regardless of the fortification gear you wear to make or wear the armor. All displayed armor ratings are calculated by starting with a base mutliplier which uses base armor and smithing effect on armor and all smithing increases for any effective Smithing skill when you improve armor are flat across the board for all armors. If my effective smithing skill adds 10 to a piece of Steel Armor for the base multiplier it adds the same 10 to Ebony Armor or Daedric Armor or Dragonplate Armor, no more and no less. Common sense coupled with a basic understanding of mathematics will tell you that based on these factors it's base armor rating which is determinative of how high an armor rating you can get for any piece of armor.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
i love my daedric armor, the dragon armor perk was a total waste!

Xiomn

Why does the armor UESP page rank the armor under the 'heavy armor images' headline. From looking it looks like they go in rank from worst to best.
Iron Armor
Steel Armor
Steel Armor (alternate)
Dwarven Armor
Steel Plate Armor
Orcish Armor
Ebony Armor
Dragonplate Armor
Daedric Armor

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
Why does the armor UESP page rank the armor under the 'heavy armor images' headline. From looking it looks like they go in rank from worst to best.
Iron Armor
Steel Armor
Steel Armor (alternate)
Dwarven Armor
Steel Plate Armor
Orcish Armor
Ebony Armor
Dragonplate Armor
Daedric Armor

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor
It's ranked based on the base armor rating, meaning the original armor rating the full set has without perks or being improved.

ExOxS

Sir Smoove
Too bad the effective armor rating caps out at around 565 I believe..... which absorbs around 80% of incoming damage.

Which makes the whole argument pointless as both break the 565 mark.

BSE

Unless youre Argonian, then it just looks like a big adult diaper with a tail coming out the back.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts