• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Cybernettr

I am a new player who contracted vampirism and realized it too late for the simple solutions. I have been trying to follow the cure directions over at WikiHow:

https://www.wikihow.com/Cure-Vampirism-in-Skyrim

I have been able to follow it up to step 4 under "Curing Full Vampirism". The problem comes from enchanting a weapon with Soul Trap. I have no idea how to do this and the article doesn't explain it.

i have watched a couple of YouTube videos on the topic and they also gloss over the enchanting a weapon part. I don't wish to play the game as a vampire right now. Is it possible to cure this without figuring out the whole enchanting process?

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Do not fret! Curing vampirism is much easier than most tutorials online let on!

It seems that you are having trouble with enchanting a weapon with soul trap. Since that is the case, it is likely that you do not possess the enchantment for soul trap yet--so enchanting in order to fill that black soul gem of yours is not an option. Your only other option at this point is to find and/or purchase the Soul Trap Spell Tome. You can find this spell book at most all Court Wizards in the main cities, or at any of the Master Mages in the College of Winterhold.

The easiest way to get this for me has been to go to Farengar, the court wizard in Whiterun--as he is the earliest available court wizard you meet. Find him in Dragon's Reach, in Whiterun during the day. He wears blue robes and spends most of his time in the south/western room on the first floor of Dragon's Reach. Speak to him, ask what he has for sale, find his books, and look for the Soul Trap spell. Shouldn't cost anything you can't afford after selling off a few items you've plundered in dungeons. From there, go into your inventory, and read the tome. It'll disappear from your inventory, but you'll get a notification saying that you have "Learned the Soul Trap Spell". Next, go to your character menu, then the Magicka section, scroll until you find the Conjuration spell list. This is where you will be able to find and equip the spell-trap spell. Depending on the amount of magicka you have, and the perks you have in the Conjuration spell tree, you may or may not be able to cast it just yet--so be sure to take note of whether or not you can (it's not a super magicka dependent spell, nor is it a high level to use.)

Now to fill that soul gem. Once you have the spell equipped in one hand, and you are sure you can cast it, be sure to have your weapon or offensive spell of choice in the other. The way this spell works is that you cast it on any creature or person, and if you kill that creature or person within a short amount of time, it will fill a soul gem. Now because you are filling a Black Soul Gem, you need to take the soul of another human. Your best bet is to just go venture out into the open world of Skyrim and find yourself a Bandit Camp. Cast the spell on a low-level bandit, and kill him as fast as you can! You'll know that it worked if purple whisps and whatnot get absorbed into your character somewhat like how a dragon soul looks like. You can double check this by going into your inventory, and down to the miscellaneous section to find that Black Soul Gem. It'll specify whether or not it's filled. Once filled, go ahead and return back to Falion, and finish up following that quest!

I hope this helps a little bit, if not let me know and I'll try my best to guide you better! Good Luck my friend!

P.S If you would like some help on how to enchant and disenchant items, in general, I can go ahead and fill you in a little bit on that as well if you'd like. Feel free to ask me!

Cybernettr

Thanks for your reply. I was able to follow your advice up until the part where you say “go to your character menu.” I do not know how to access the character menu. Is this in the VR version? I had something like that when I first started the game, but now I can’t see my character since it’s myself.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for your reply. I was able to follow your advice up until the part where you say “go to your character menu.” I do not know how to access the character menu. Is this in the VR version? I had something like that when I first started the game, but now I can’t see my character since it’s myself.

Your character menu is the menu in which you can access your skills, inventory and map! If you could tell me what console you are using your VR on I could give you an exact button to press in game :)

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Looks like it's going to be X if you're right-handed, or A if you're left-handed. From there the menu is directional. Skills at the top, inventory at the right, map at the bottom, and magicka at the left.

Hope this helps! I've never played on Oculus before so good luck! Let me know if you need more help my friend! :D

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Here's the controller schematics I found for Oculus by the way!

bq0QY6j.png

TQ1WFZa.png

Cybernettr

Next, go to your character menu, then the Magicka section, scroll until you find the Conjuration spell list. This is where you will be able to find and equip the spell-trap spell. Depending on the amount of magicka you have, and the perks you have in the Conjuration spell tree, you may or may not be able to cast it just yet--so be sure to take note of whether or not you can (it's not a super magicka dependent spell, nor is it a high level to use.)

I making progress, but you’re right, I don’t seem to have enough Magica ( that’s the message I get). Also, I’m not sure I will know how to cast a spell when I do.

I successfully equipped it in my left hand because I could see the ball of energy. Do you just throw it at the enemy?

I seem to have trouble equipping the spell in one hand and my greatsword in the other. In the weapons list, it says L next to the spell when I squeeze the left trigger, and if I recall, RT next to the sword when I squeeze the right trigger, but both items don’t seem to be equipping at the same time.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Your best bet is to put a few points into magicka or find yourself some fortify magicka gear on dead mages. That way you'll be able to cast it without any issue.

Casting the spell is easy, equip it and just use the attack button for whatever hand you have it in. Aim at the person who's soul you are trapping and kill them as fast as you can. Unfortunately, the spell doesn't make it look super clear or easy to tell if you hit the person you aim it at or not unless you are really close to them. It's a super subtle effect and it doesn't cast out like most other spells. But it does work.

As for equipping, it's important to know that you can't equip the spell in one hand and a weapon in the other unless the weapon you are equipping is a one-handed weapon. One-handed weapons are Swords, War Axes, Maces and Staffs. Two-handed weapons you have to wield with, yes, both hands XD, so you can't have a spell too. Two-handed weapons are Greatswords, Battleaxes, and Warhammers. Keep this in mind when equipping the spell and your weapon of choice. You said your greatsword, which would mean you aren't able to dual wield.

Hope this helps :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts