PS3 Critical Performance Improvement

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

georgeleus

Frost trolls are gay.
Hello all,

I've been playing Skyrim on my PS3 for about 4 months now and just the other day my experience has changed dramatically; in performance terms.
You all know how laggy the game is at the loading screens and even when you enter your own home or open any kind of door the blank screen appears and makes you wait for about 15 seconds. Nasty.

Well after being fed up with the seldom crashes (well, stalls to be exactly), I've researched the problem a little and on another forum someone suggested to turn off the autosave feature. Deffinitely.

Now besides the fact that the game didn't stall at all at loading screens, I've found out that the actually time spent at this screens has diminished. Dramatically.

On my PS3 the result is as follows:

BEFORE:
- enhanced loading screen (the one with pictures and story) : 40 seconds.
- standard loading screen (blank) : 15 seconds.

AFTER:
- enhanced loading screen : ~15 seconds.
- standard loading screen : ~5 seconds.

It's certainly a pleasure playing the game now.

Cheers !

Sean

lost somewhere
Same thing on Xbox, also autosave will always end up making your save bloat, and if the file size gets too large, the game will lag/freeze a lot.

So, (for consoles) it is recommended to always disable autosave, as it really is unsafe.

Hello all,

I've been playing Skyrim on my PS3 for about 4 months now and just the other day my experience has changed dramatically; in performance terms.
You all know how laggy the game is at the loading screens and even when you enter your own home or open any kind of door the blank screen appears and makes you wait for about 15 seconds. Nasty.

Well after being fed up with the seldom crashes (well, stalls to be exactly), I've researched the problem a little and on another forum someone suggested to turn off the autosave feature. Deffinitely.

Now besides the fact that the game didn't stall at all at loading screens, I've found out that the actually time spent at this screens has diminished. Dramatically.

On my PS3 the result is as follows:

BEFORE:
- enhanced loading screen (the one with pictures and story) : 40 seconds.
- standard loading screen (blank) : 15 seconds.

AFTER:
- enhanced loading screen : ~15 seconds.
- standard loading screen : ~5 seconds.

It's certainly a pleasure playing the game now.

Cheers !

I wish I had figured that out 4 months into playing Skyrim. :sadface: It took me a year.
Console default to saving at every opportunity. I think I changed mine to only save when traveling.
I have played Skyrim on PS3 since January 2012. My only issue is that since I got the 3 DLCs, after a while it will lag bad. I have to save, exit AND exit the game using the PS3 button. Once I go back in it's fine. This happens in Solstheim the most including a terrible noise like a bad white noise generator but real loud.

So two lag factors I have isolated (other than changing the save settings as you mentioned) are:
1) Owning the DLCs and playing for a long time without save and full exit.
2) Playing in Solstheim, especially re-entering the main city.
Workaround / Fix: Save, exit and fully exit the game using the PS3 button and restarting the game.

georgeleus

Frost trolls are gay.
You're all welcome.

A slight observation: although the game runs more smoothly after disabling autosave, it had stalled one time.
So it doesn't fix the stalling crash, but it sure makes it occur more seldom.

Asiaxfani

Gee, thanks for the tip! I just bought the Legendary Edition for PS3 (won't be able to play it for a month or two, though, since I'm away from home and my consoles) and I've been a bit nervous on how the game will now work on this platform (I had it for the Xbox before). Will definately keep this in mind. You can just find the autosave thing in the settings, right? Can't remember on the top of my head, and like said, can't just put it on and see for myself... :D

georgeleus

Frost trolls are gay.
"Autosave" and all of it's subsidiaries:
- save on rest;
- save on travel;
- save on wait;
- save when entering buildings;
etc.

Basically you'll just have to suffice with manual save.

PS: one more stall, a couple of days ago, just when I was about to enter a cave...

LuChao

The Martial artist
I have autosaves enabled and I have no problem and my system is old

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts