Xbox 360 copy save game from profile to profile

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

inigio montanya

Howdy!

Just a quick question guys, accidently saved a game on the wrong profile. Tried to copy it across to the other profile (dashboard>settings>memory>hard drive>games>skyrim>). Has worked for all my other games, however with skyrim, i get a message saying

"this item cannot be transferred between profiles"

this method has worked for my other games, however for this game, it does not work. Just wondering if anyone else has a tried and proven method to transfer my saved game between profiles?

Delvorak

I had the same problem. I found a way to do it, although it's rather intensive. You have to have access to a PC and a thumbdrive that you can use on the xbox.

1) Plug in the thumbdrive to the xbox360, turn on the console.
2) Log into the profile that has the game you want to transfer.
3) Copy the game(s) (through the system settings, memory, harddrive, games, skyrim, select the game, copy) to the thumbdrive.
4) Log into the profile that you want to copy the game TO.
5) From this profile, either copy a game (owned by this profile) to the thumbdrive, or start up skyrim and save a new game under this profile to the thumbdrive.
6) Turn off the console.
7) On the PC, download Modio ( http://www.game-tuts.com/community/modio.php ). Run it.
8) Plug in the thumbdrive from the xbox into your PC
9) In MOdio, click the "Explore a device"
10) IN the new window, there should be at least two directories that have a series of letters and numbers (something like E5234AF3234). These are the profile ID's. FIgure out which one is the profile you are copying from, and which is the one you are copying to (I used the names of the saved game files inside the directories to figure out which was which). Write down the profile ID for the profile you are copying the game to.
11) In the old profile, find the game file that you want to copy.
11) Right click on the file and click the "Open In Resigner".
12) Change the ProfileID to the profile id of the profile that you want to copy to.
13) Click the "Rehash and resign" button.
14) Memory is a little foggy, but there should be a "Save to device" or something similiar button. CLick it. It should show you a list of the profile ID's on the thumbdrive. Select the profile you want to copy the game to.
15) CLose the drive (File menu, "OPen/CLose drive")
16) Eject the thumbdrive, stick it back into your xbox.

Now if you turn on the console, go to system settings, memory, thumbdrive, games, skyrim, you should see the saved game with the new profile as the owner. You can either copy that to the harddrive, or just play the game off your thumbdrive.

Hope it works for you!

Scott

HappyColour

Wow thanks so much! Just gave that a try and it worked no worries, and despite what seems like a lot of steps, it was actually a very easy user friendly process. As well you are correct that the option is 'Save to device' after you have modified the ProfileID.

I used this to convert over 6 saved game files from my gf's old local account, to her new xbox live account which I then moved over to her skydrive.

Only thing I would recommend to other people trying to do this, is that remember once you have changed the ProfileID on the USB drive if you do not delete the old saves they will still appear when you access the USB drive via the 360. I made this mistake and ended up trying to copy an old save and getting the 'Cannot move' error before I realized I was copying the unmodified saves. As soon as you change the saves correctly they will no longer appear as game save of 'Unknown Profile' but instead game save of the correct profile you are trying to copy them over to. Just keep an eye out for this so you don't successfully mod the save file, and thereafter still get the error because you are simply copying over the old save.

Anyhow thanks a lot, you are a life (time) saver! :D

Syko

I just want to say that this worked PERFECTLY for me. I would not normally post on any forum or thread, but this meant THAT much to me! These exact steps from Delvorak are exactly what you need to do in order to transfer saved games from one profile to another.

I had to do this transfer when my original profile was changed into an Xbox Live account. I refused to use that online account for Skyrim, but wanted to transfer my game saves from the NOW online account to my newly created offline account.

Modio was exactly what was needed, and yes you do need to download the Microsoft .net Visual Studio 3.5 updates, but all of those steps are included with the Modio 3 download. Because of this, it will not work on Linux easily, but my Windows XP worked perfectly.

Thank you Delvorak, very much! :)

Gudziel

I am trying to use this method to move one save from a temp account to my main XBlive acct. Unfortunately, when I try to read the USB stick in my PC, it cannot find the files. When I plug the stick back into my XBox, it sees the files I've saved. I've downloaded "Horizon" (another modding tool for XBox) and it can see the files just fine.

I've attempted to ask in the Modio forums and they are saying that what was done within this thread is not possible to do. This being, moving one saved from from one Profile ID to another.

I'm lost and would appreciate any help.

thormejh

i just made an account, right now, just to tell you that i absolutely love you from the depths of my heart, it worked without any problems, and i finally am able to play on MY account and not my girlfriends dads that i accidentally started on, tytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytyty forever

Gudziel

I was able to FINALLY accomplish the move utilizing XTAF and modio. Woohoo!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Casey Bigelow

I have a question. How can i acomplish this task without the profile I originally made the Skyrim saved file with? My xbox360 will not let me move the file to my thumb to complete this process. What should i do?

WarmishFlame

I have a question. How can i acomplish this task without the profile I originally made the Skyrim saved file with? My xbox360 will not let me move the file to my thumb to complete this process. What should i do?

If you have a harddrive, you can plug it in directly with the connector cable. this will skip the transfer step completely and then you can dive straight into modio for the game save transfer and rehash. I personally used this method on Halo Reach, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Halo Anniversary, Bioshock 2 and Resident Evil 5.:cool:

JBpdx

I did this and when I plugged it back into my xbox I couldn't retrieve files at all... it unformatted my thumb drive and now I lost all of my game data....that was a lot of time just thrown away!!

lexi

your instructions are very thorough and i really appreciate them, but i ran into a road block. it doesn't give me the option to "open in reisigner" at all. when i right click on it it only gives me the options of: add file, add folder, extract, new folder, rename, delete. i don't know if i'm doing something wrong, but please help me, i really need to know.

BLdLSt Nitemare

I did this and everything worked correctly i loaded up the save game and everything. But something happens everytime i try to go through a door, Fast Travel, Save my game everytime i try to do one of those things the game freezes/ crashes.

sskhaliq

This seems like exactly the same issue i'm experiencing. Just 1 question, when i try to copy to the usb drive the saved game i would like to copy/use, it gives an error msg saying 'you cant copy between profiles'. I get this error because i have accidentally deleted my original profile and am now using newly created profile to copy the saved game associated with the original profile. This saved game just fyi now appears as belonging to 'unknown profile'.
so basically im getting stuck at step 3 of delvorak's solution. any ideas? pls pls let know if theres a way!

umm36

Same here Sskhaliq, i've done the same thing only moments ago, i saved my profile to my flash drive, put it into my laptop, all that showed up was an empty folder, put it back in my 360, and now my profile is gone.
I would REALLY like to get the saved game back onto a new account at least.
considering i reformated the flash drive a SECOND time and now it's completely nerfed itsself so my account is GONE.

somone please help!!!

Sean

lost somewhere
I would recommend Horizon more, as it is a much more complete and overall better tool than Modio.

All you have to do is
-plug in the USB
-find the Skyrim folder
-either drag your save to desktop (to have a copy) or drag to the grey area in the middle of Horizon
-then change the Profile ID to the profile you actually want the save to be tied to and hit "Save, Rehash, and Resign"

You can get your other profile ID by dragging a separate file created by the other profile, and just copying the profile ID down.

umm36

my problem solved: reconnected my 360 to the internet, went online and recovered my account, only been online once and never had xbox live but it recovered my account and restored my saves after i loaded skyrim twice!

A lesson to all:
don't fluff around with flash drives!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts