Console users - taking a photo of your TV.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
One of the most frustrating things us console users face when playing a game as beautiful as Skyrim is the inability to take a good screen shot. Let’s face it, we all love to capture a great moment, scene or show what our characters look like. Most times the photo looks sandy, or over-exposed or lines are running through it. Well I have a few simple tips for you to use so that you can produce post-worthy shots you can be proud of. While I don’t proclaim to be an expert photographer, I have done a little research on the matter and have played around on my little camera.

For these examples I used a canon PowerShot SX120 IS 10x optical zoom, 10 mega pixels. A pretty basic camera. My TV is a 32” LCD.

ISO – this tells us how sensitive your camera’s light sensor is to light exposure. On a digital camera you can lower or raise the ISO, depending on what sort of picture you want to capture. For a picture of a TV screen you want the ISO to be on 200 or 400. BUT, you may need to raise or lower the ISO, depending on how dark your room is.

Shutter speed – To compensate for the screen refresh rate on your TV screen you want to turn down your shutter speed on your camera. Usually 1/20 is a good point. This will reduce those annoying lines across your photo.

Tripod – As you have lowered your shutter speed, there is more of a chance of camera shake. Using a tripod is essential if you don’t want to end up with blurry photos. Try to get your camera at a height where it looks just slightly down onto the middle of your TV screen. If you don’t have a tripod, then sit it on any stable surface.

Room – if possible, try to darken your room as much as you can and DO NOT use the flash on your camera. This will prevent glare, and flash spots on your photos.

Have a look on your camera; you might even have a “TV” setting on it, like mine does. I did find I had to raise the ISO though, as the setting was on 80 and it made the photos too dark. So look at the settings, and play around to get the ideal balance for your situation.

And that’s all there is to it really. Take some time to play around to get the adjustments right for your environment. It will be worth it when you can post your awesome photos for others to enjoy.

AS88

Staff member
One of the most frustrating things us console users face when playing a game as beautiful as Skyrim is the inability to take a good screen shot. Let’s face it, we all love to capture a great moment, scene or show what our characters look like. Most times the photo looks sandy, or over-exposed or lines are running through it. Well I have a few simple tips for you to use so that you can produce post-worthy shots you can be proud of. While I don’t proclaim to be an expert photographer, I have done a little research on the matter and have played around on my little camera.

For these examples I used a canon PowerShot SX120 IS 10x optical zoom, 10 mega pixels. A pretty basic camera. My TV is a 32” LCD.

ISO – this tells us how sensitive your camera’s light sensor is to light exposure. On a digital camera you can lower or raise the ISO, depending on what sort of picture you want to capture. For a picture of a TV screen you want the ISO to be on 200 or 400. BUT, you may need to raise or lower the ISO, depending on how dark your room is.

Shutter speed – To compensate for the screen refresh rate on your TV screen you want to turn down your shutter speed on your camera. Usually 1/20 is a good point. This will reduce those annoying lines across your photo.

Tripod – As you have lowered your shutter speed, there is more of a chance of camera shake. Using a tripod is essential if you don’t want to end up with blurry photos. Try to get your camera at a height where it looks just slightly down onto the middle of your TV screen. If you don’t have a tripod, then sit it on any stable surface.

Room – if possible, try to darken your room as much as you can and DO NOT use the flash on your camera. This will prevent glare, and flash spots on your photos.

Have a look on your camera; you might even have a “TV” setting on it, like mine does. I did find I had to raise the ISO though, as the setting was on 80 and it made the photos too dark. So look at the settings, and play around to get the ideal balance for your situation.

And that’s all there is to it really. Take some time to play around to get the adjustments right for your environment. It will be worth it when you can post your awesome photos for others to enjoy.

How about some examples? :p

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
IMG_2436smallauto.jpg

This first shot was taken in AUTO mode on my camera.. notice the graininess and the lines?
Now here is the same shot with TV mode on, which adjusts the shutter speed and the IOS.
IMG_2435smalltvmode.jpg

The graininess removed, as are the lines, and the colour is also brighter, more true to the tv screen.

JClarke1953

What I'd like to do is to put up a vid of Mara's battle with a Dragon. Three times now she has jumped onto its head and shoved her dagger's into its head. It looks so awesome, cool when that happens (XBox, first time surprised me!).

I tried to pause it yesterday so I could get my iPad set, but couldn't pause the fight. Seems I'll have to keep it ready from now on. Got all these Dragon Souls, and nothing to use them on anyhow, lol.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I think a thread of people posting their characters looks, weird things when traveling is needed now! I never thought to use my camera before. O.O now i can show off my hoarding skills! yay

Like this one :D ?

http://skyrimforum.com/sf/threads/post-your-character-in-action.471/

I think he meant non-pc people :p

I thought so.... but im sure people on that thread wont mind :D In fact im sure they would be impressed with the skill (and knowledge) it takes to produce a nice photo from a ps3 or xbox.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

I thought so.... but im sure people on that thread wont mind :D In fact im sure they would be impressed with the skill (and knowledge) it takes to produce a nice photo from a ps3 or xbox.

I just posted one on there :) Wish videos turned out the same quality but I still have to work on them..

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer
I have a couple pics myself, in my gallery, that came from my camera in my phone. I'm not going to lie, I was impressed by its megapixel capabilities. I'm also a noob when it comes to photography, but I understand the mechanics and theory. Here's hoping my phone has enough settings to help it out!! It'd be sweet to have more pictures myself.

Skyrim, even on console with no mods, is gorgeous.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I have a couple pics myself, in my gallery, that came from my camera in my phone. I'm not going to lie, I was impressed by its megapixel capabilities. I'm also a noob when it comes to photography, but I understand the mechanics and theory. Here's hoping my phone has enough settings to help it out!! It'd be sweet to have more pictures myself.

Skyrim, even on console with no mods, is gorgeous.

I fully agree Badger, and I will have a look at your pics!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts