• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Grelod The Kind

I decided to go on a whim and make a conjurer-centered character two days ago - she's level 19 right now; level 75 Conjuration, 41 Sneak, 52 Smithing, 40-some Enchanting and 30-some Alchemy. I plan to rank all of the production skills ASAP (I probably won't be ranking OR using sneak). She'll probably be at 100 Conjuration in a day or two.

So, are there any skills she should have besides:
Conjuration
Smithing
Enchanting
Alchemy
Heavy Armor
One-handed.
This is my build, as of now, and really her playstyle will be:
1. Conjure up some dremora or atronachs
2. Switch to a one-handed weapon and use that
3. Repeat.

Should I stick with left hand - conjuration and right hand - onehanded weapon? Should I have restoration or destruction or a shield or more conjuration or another sword in her left hand while she's playing the offensive, one-handed role?

I'm NOT new to Skyrim (200+ hours), but I just wanted some feedback from a third-party. My in-real-life Skyrim friends are noobs. Sigh.

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
I think you've got a very solid build there. You don't really want to focus on many more than 6-7 skills or you begin to become more of a jack of all trades than a conjurer.

If you are using one handed then destruction isn't really nessasary, although it is nice to support your antronachs with their corresponding element. Restoration is nice too, but I've found that if you are heavily summoning and throwing fireballs like me, you usually don't have enough mana to heal yourself as much as you want to anyway.

You could include block (I usually invest one or two perk points), but if you're going to use a sheild-spell combo (I've tried) extensively there is this annoying trend that when you change spells via hotkey, It'll unequip the sheild instead of changing the spell in your spell hand. It eventually got to me, so I gave up.

My builds are generally just like yours, but I generally swap out one handed for two, use alteration instead of Alchemy and only dabble in enchanting to make room for some investment in illusion. Effectively I end up as a field-controlling tank.

RoG Delta

Enchanting is essential for Any build. Especially mages. With 5/5 enchanter and insightful enchanter at level 100. You can get free schools of magic (spam fireballs anyone?). With extra effect, 2 free schools. My favorite, conj and dest.

Grelod The Kind

Delta : I know. I've included that in my build. As well as smithing and alchemy.

Fatalist : Thanks for the feedback~. So, what you're saying is, basically just conjuration left + onehanded in right?

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
Pretty much. You could use your weapon in your left hand, but the game generally pushes it into your right anyway. Doesn't really matter either way.

butcherpete2277

Suthay-raht
Raise your conjuration to 100, if you can summon two dremora lords you will be unstoppable. They can take down almost anything, and even if you come across something too powerful for them you can either a) join the fray b)summon two more dremoras (you effectively have an infinite amount c)both a and b.

Grelod The Kind

I'm pretty sure that the game only lets you have one familiar of any type, unless you have the conjuration perk that lets you have two. As of now I don't have enough mana to cast dremora lord (which costs 104 mana with my current fortify conjuration set). Which means I'll have to get MORE fortify conjuation enchants! And everyone knows that adding too much to the mana attribute is pointless, of course.

Speaking of which, how's my attribute allocation?
Level 1 : 100-100-100
11 : 100-200-100
21 : 100-300-100
31: 150-300-150 (I'll start doing main quest somewhere around 20-30. By the looks of it right now, around level 26-29)
41: 200-350-150
51:200-400-200
61:200-450-250
71:200-500-300
81:200-600-300.

I think I might be a bit heavy on the stamina around end-game, but I probably won't even get to level 45+ with my current build. Am I too heavy on the mana around 35-45?

sahqonsah

Pretty good build I'll try it some time, but what are you going to use for a ranged attack? I would recommend getting free training from Faendel for archery but DON'T put any perks in it, that way you don't spread yourself thin, it will be weak but just carry a fast drawing bow for administering poison at range, that way you are making the most of your alchemy skill, getting 2 or 3 extra levels and having a great ranged attack.

Jaeger

^^

And with crossbows being introduced...

OP, I wouldn't put too many perks into Heavy Armor, unless you're going to wear Iron.

Grelod The Kind

I'm not doing ranged or archery. Like, at all. I will never have my character equip a bow. Ever. Outside of like, for killing that deer over there or something.

Why?
There are several familiars with ranged attacks (fire atronach and storm atronach. Storm atronach uses destruction magic which, indeed, could work. Fire atronach is a noob though.

If you're talking about attacking dragons that are flying, I can use dragonrend or get an archery-based follower. Or I can use the breath attacks / unrelenting force / other shouts.

Edit : Why no heavy armor? I'm not going to be sneaking and I can simply enchant it to be quite epic.

Jaeger

I didn't (and he didn't) say not use it, just don't put a lot of perks in it. Your smithing, enchanting gear (4 +25% Fortify Smithing), Ancient Knowledge, a store bought potion of +50%, base Daedric will get you to the armor cap of 567 without needing to put that many perks into Heavy Armor.

There are several spots to get dwemer ingots or junk, with little to no combat, to level smithing fast by making dwemer bows.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Should I stick with left hand - conjuration and right hand - onehanded weapon? Should I have restoration or destruction or a shield or more conjuration or another sword in her left hand while she's playing the offensive, one-handed role?

Keeping your conjuration spell in your left hand seems like a waste to me, as you'll only be able to use it once every one or two minutes (or whenever your current conjuration dies). I'd say either spend the three perks to buff your dual-wielding and stick another sword in that hand, or spend four perks in Restoration—Novice Restoration, Apprentice Restoration, Regeneration, and Respite—and keep Fast Healing in that hand, which will replenish your health and stamina.

Grelod The Kind

But then I can't cast soul trap and I can't respawn my dead familiars, when and if they die.

Also, based on this playstyle, what followers should I consider acquiring?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
But then I can't cast soul trap and I can't respawn my dead familiars, when and if they die.

But you only need to cast Soul Trap once per enemy. Keeping that hand occupied with a spell you're only going to use once per fight, or in the case of familiar spells, once every minute or two, is a waste. You could be doing so much more with that hand in the meantime. And if you go with dual-wielding, you can enchant your second sword with Soul Trap, anyway, to save even more time.

This is what hotkeys are for. If you're on a console, I'd suggest setting your second sword or Fast Healing as one hotkey, and your familiar spell as the second hotkey; if you're on PC, you can add Soul Trap as a third hotkey. Easy as pie to switch between them as needed, and you won't have to break the flow of the battle.

Grelod The Kind

Enchanting weapons with Soul trap is just so... blah. Like, if you kill a wolf with the soul trapped weapon and you have no petty soul gems, what if that soul goes to a larger soul gem?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Enchanting weapons with Soul trap is just so... blah. Like, if you kill a wolf with the soul trapped weapon and you have no petty soul gems, what if that soul goes to a larger soul gem?

Drop the soul gem from your inventory. Pick it up again. Presto chango, soul is gone!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni

Or... don't kill puny things like wolves with your Soul Trap sword. You really shouldn't need to dual wield to kill a wolf, skeever, mudcrab, et cetera... especially if you're going to have an Atronach in the fight as well.

Kuros

I decided to go on a whim and make a conjurer-centered character two days ago - she's level 19 right now; level 75 Conjuration, 41 Sneak, 52 Smithing, 40-some Enchanting and 30-some Alchemy. I plan to rank all of the production skills ASAP (I probably won't be ranking OR using sneak). She'll probably be at 100 Conjuration in a day or two.

So, are there any skills she should have besides:
Conjuration
Smithing
Enchanting
Alchemy
Heavy Armor
One-handed.
This is my build, as of now, and really her playstyle will be:
1. Conjure up some dremora or atronachs
2. Switch to a one-handed weapon and use that
3. Repeat.

I'm NOT new to Skyrim (200+ hours), but I just wanted some feedback from a third-party. My in-real-life Skyrim friends are noobs. Sigh.
I conjure with my mage, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "Conjurer build", if you use it, thats what you are

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts