Conjuration: Atronach vs Necromancy

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pick Your Poison

• Atronach

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Necromancy

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
So, I've decided to create a character where Conjuration is a big factor. He's a Altmer Spellsword (Vampiric maybe as well) and since I've never really experimented with Conjuration besides casting a few spells every now and then so thought I'd add it in this build and give it a shot.

However, I am torn between Atronachs or Necromancy. I've looked around the interwebz and found everyone to be pretty even about it, was just wondering what the consensus was here. Which is generally more powerful and your personal favourite to use? I've been leaning toward Atronach, myself, but something about Necromancy keeps me from choosing it permanently. I'm only looking to invest the least amount of perks, so only one path.

Would love to see poll results and hear everyone's opinions.

(Side note: For all the Spellsword lovers, whats an attribute ratio that works? I.E Magicka/Health/Stamina; I've only had one other Spellsword that didn't make it past Level 10, so I'm pretty new to this class)

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
Atromancy all the way. I don't know, raising undead just seems so underwhelming once you've tasted what you can get with atromancy. Although you should probably raise zombies every now and then, since Conjuration simply refuses to level with Flame and Frost Atronachs. It gets better with Storm Atronachs and Dremora Lords.

Unless you're using Bound Sword. That spell gives freakish amounts of XP.

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
There are positives and negatives to each. I'll give a (my opinion) little background info on each.

Atromancy: Good at the start, doesn't require a dead body to raise, so you can cast one at the beginning of a battle. If you use any spell absorption like the Atronach Stone or Atronach Perk (100 Alteration), these will have chances of being absorbed every time you try to summon them.

Necromancy: Good at the end game when you get the permanent Dead Thrall spell. Before that, they require dead bodies, so you have to kill something, then in the heat of combat raise it, when you probably could have just spent that time killing something else instead. These are not absorbed by spell absorption like Atronachs are. You can still summon a Dremora Lord for a minute, they aren't affected by Elemental Potency, so you get the same power for less duration if you go Necromancy.

Dead Thralls have the possibility to become very overpowered because you can enchant gear and give it to them to use (like a forsworn ravager with dual absorb health/absorb stamina enchanted weapons, and + Health armor). But there is the possibility they get lost and all your gear with them, you have to babysit them. With Atronachs you can just summon a new one.

Which skills are you taking? It would be good to see the skills you plan to use. Since you've never used either, I would suggest using both in the beginning without perking either branch to see which combat style you prefer.

I'm too lazy for Necromancy. I usually go Atromancy and summon Storm Atronachs and Dremora Lords.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
First off a guide I wrote on Conjuration: Conjuration - A short instruction on how to make the most of your summons | Skyrim Forums

Now I personally find Atronachs better and more adaptable, but some people like the idea of necromancy. I suggest trying them out yourself and going on from there. My guide with be of help I hope on understanding your summons.
Yes, I have read your guide, it was actually one of the factors that made me side with Atronachs. =P
I've tried them both out, briefly, as I've said nothing more than a couple of times and I know generally how they both work, was looking to see opinions here to sway me either way.
Atromancy all the way. I don't know, raising undead just seems so underwhelming once you've tasted what you can get with atromancy.

I've heard the opposite, especially with Dead Thralls. I suppose it could be underwhelming during the beginning of the game.

Atromancy: Good at the start, doesn't require a dead body to raise, so you can cast one at the beginning of a battle. If you use any spell absorption like the Atronach Stone or Atronach Perk (100 Alteration), these will have chances of being absorbed every time you try to summon them.

Necromancy: Good at the end game when you get the permanent Dead Thrall spell. Before that, they require dead bodies, so you have to kill something, then in the heat of combat raise it, when you probably could have just spent that time killing something else instead. These are not absorbed by spell absorption like Atronachs are. You can still summon a Dremora Lord for a minute, they aren't affected by Elemental Potency, so you get the same power for less duration if you go Necromancy.

I plan on using the Atronach perk and stone however I am on PC and use a mod that fixes that bug, so that won't be a factor.

Which skills are you taking? It would be good to see the skills you plan to use. Since you've never used either, I would suggest using both in the beginning without perking either branch to see which combat style you prefer.

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! This is my build as of yet. I started two previous characters to get to this one that I'm pretty confident in.

My strategy is this:
-Use companion (maybe, I'll wait to see how it affects difficulty)
-Summon Atronach/Raise undead
-Soften up with Destruction spells
-While distracted, flank and hit them as hard as possible with dual-wield

I'll have Heavy Armor to protect myself if I do manage to get hit, but the purpose of this build is not to need it; casting destruction spells till my Magicka is drained and switching to dual wield for maximum damage in the short amount of time they will be distracted.

I'm too lazy for Necromancy. I usually go Atromancy and summon Storm Atronachs and Dremora Lords.

That's one reason why I'm leaning toward Atronachs. To me, it seems like raising a zombie is too long of a process in the midst of combat, but I would be willing to make sacrifices if it would be worth it.

I'm a little more convinced to pick the Atronach side, thanks for the quick responses.

Cherry

I've heard the opposite, especially with Dead Thralls. I suppose it could be underwhelming during the beginning of the game.

The thing is, I don't like babysitting followers or thralls. I never use any master conjuration spells. Conjure Storm Atronach > Storm Thrall imo.

Adam Warlock

Admitting to being a Dead Thrall junkie , the combination of Dremora Lord and/or Storm Atronach is effective vs all enemies and a lot of fun to watch. No moaning , no tinkering , just devastation.

Getting Sanguine Rose should be considered as it will eventually produce a more powerful Dremora than the spell will . Also saves your Magicka pool while in combat

go straight up the left hand branch of the Conjuration perk tree through Atromancy and Elemental Potency to Twin Souls . that`s all you basically need

Cherry

Having 2 Dremora lords running amok just amuses me.

I couldn't agree more! Nothing is more fun than having two Dremora Lords slaughtering an entire dungeon, with me casually strolling in after them to loot the mutilated corpses :D

King o' the Britains

Supreme Commander of Elite Awesomeness
I find atronachs much more helpful, especially dremora lords. But necromancy and dead thrall i just play around with.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I'm torn! I love them both. I do get a kick out of making Thralls out of former enemies however. Ah, Astrid. My favorite Thrall. ;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts