Confessions of a Newb

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ilya

Article Writer
My affair with Skyrim started 5 months ago when my cousin, Adam, suggested I get it for myself as a birthday present. I've always been a big fan of fantasy based books, movies, and even some games, but I had never spent more than an hour playing one. About 2 years ago I started reading "The legend of Drizzt" series by R.A. Salvatore, therefore sparking my obsession with the fantasy world. Up until then I had never really gotten into it. I played a little "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance" for a week when I was in 8th grade visiting my sister. Aside from that, defeating Bowser in Super Mario Brother's was my biggest gaming achievement! Adam knew all too well how dear I hold Drizzt and Guenhwyvar to my heart so he told me, "You would practically be able to play your books." I was immediately sold! I needed that game and didn't waste time in getting a hold of it! Little did I know this game would unleash a part of me I otherwise wouldn't have known existed.

There are many reasons why this game has captured my heart and soul, perhaps too many to list. But one thing sticks out profoundly more than any of the others; the limitless options of play style. Skyrim has something for everyone, no matter how much prior experience one has in the vast world of gaming. From personalizing a character's physical appearance to creating a fighting style that best compliments the players ability....or in my case, lack thereof!

I decided to go with a Dark Elf, of course, and named her Ilya. Although, I was thoroughly disappointed when I found she didn't have a 600 pound black panther as a companion. I'm still waiting to stumble across that onyx figurine... I chose to stick with The Path of Shadow. My main reason for choosing stealth (at the time) was because I was such a newb. I figured my best defense until I familiarized myself with dual analog controls was to avoid potential foes. But once I had that figured out, it was on!

IlyaPortraitMed.jpg

Needless to say, Helgen was utter chaos! I was certain there was no way I'd ever make it out of there, but finally after about a half hour standing in a burning house (thank god for dark elf flame resistance) I was able to navigate my way out. Once I was out of Helgen and en route to Riverwood I was able to really start figuring out the controls; and even stayed in Riverwood for a while just to try and get somewhat comfortable.

While I was roaming the streets, I couldn't help but notice how much different I walked from everyone else. Then I started to remember that I had a really hard time keeping up with Rolaf on the way there. I ended up coming to the conclusion that Dark Elves must walk really creepy and slow, and I'd try her out for a little while longer. It wasn't until I was on my way to Bleak Falls Barrow that I figured out why I was walking so slow and "creepy". Some bandits ambushed me just north of Riverwood and amidst all my button pushing, Ilya stood up! Once I sent those flea-bitten bandits back to their maker, I took a minute to figure out what I had done. It was then I realized I had been walking in a crouch since I left Helgen and had unintentionally boosted my sneak skill considerbly! My career as an assassin had begun!

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 52,713
realy good article reminds me of my first ever elders scrolls adventure oblivion god dam it was scary

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Amazing article. You should really make another.

Ilya

Article Writer
Hay there! Thanks a lot you guys! :-) I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

That's funny you mentioned Oblivion because I had my first experience playing it back in January. It seemed like a really neat game but I couldn't get into knowing I could play Skyrim instead! :p I can definitly see where you'd be overwhelmed though!

I'm finding it's a tad more difficult to start a "Part 2" but I will figure it out! :-)

you see, this is why accessibility is such an important part of designing games, particularly role-playing games, it's all well and good to create a world of numbers and spread-sheets, but some people just want to get into it and immerse themselves.

I am glad you are having such fun.

i actualy started oblivion one time hated it then 5 months later i had completed all my games had another try this time reading the instructions and then was instantly hooked

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Great article, I'm also a fan of RA Salvatore's Drizzt series, you might also check out Ed Greenwood's Elminster series, also part of the Forgotten Realms universe. The Warded Man & The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett is also great and highly recommended!

Yeah, no black panther, but perhaps Aela can be your Cattie-Brie? :D

Ilya

Article Writer
you see, this is why accessibility is such an important part of designing games, particularly role-playing games, it's all well and good to create a world of numbers and spread-sheets, but some people just want to get into it and immerse themselves.

I am glad you are having such fun.

I think I'm having a little TOO much fun! Haha!!! I seriously don't have much of a life anymore, especially now since I'm adamant about checking this page! :p

Great article, I'm also a fan of RA Salvatore's Drizzt series, you might also check out Ed Greenwood's Elminster series, also part of the Forgotten Realms universe. The Warded Man & The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett is also great and highly recommended!

Yeah, no black panther, but perhaps Aela can be your Cattie-Brie? :D

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to save them for when I run out of Drizzt books to read! :-) I would feel like I was betraying him if I read anything else! Haha!!

Pretty cool little article, you have some writing talent!

:-) :-) :-) I feel like my head just swelled up to the size of a watermellon when I read your comment! That was really nice of you to say and I appriciate it tremendously!!! :-)

i can understand you, but you started a fantasy RPG with Skyrim is a very very very big challenge LOL and in fact compared to mine, i started with Neverwinter Nights first edition. I also was like you when I played NVN for the first time and took tons of time trying to figure out controls and stuffs.

Then I moved on with Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege 2 action RPG games and well got the hang of it.

Nicely written article^^

Ilya

Article Writer
i can understand you, but you started a fantasy RPG with Skyrim is a very very very big challenge LOL and in fact compared to mine, i started with Neverwinter Nights first edition. I also was like you when I played NVN for the first time and took tons of time trying to figure out controls and stuffs.

Then I moved on with Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege 2 action RPG games and well got the hang of it.

Nicely written article^^

:) I'm glad you enjoyed my article!! Yes, it was definitly a big challenge; to say the least! Well worth it though!!!! I am still figuring things out and I have a lot of time invested in Skyrim! It just makes things that much more interesting! ;)

Great article, I also have a book from the Drizzt series if you can call it that. It's more 3 books put into one huge 1200 page book. But I think i'm gonna attempt to start reading it again after reading this

Ilya

Article Writer
Great article, I also have a book from the Drizzt series if you can call it that. It's more 3 books put into one huge 1200 page book. But I think i'm gonna attempt to start reading it again after reading this

You really should!!! They're awesome! I'm in the midst of reading "The Thousand Orcs" right now, but it's been put on the back burner since I got Skyrim in November! :p I also own 3 trilogies and those books weigh a TON which makes it very hard to get comfortable when reading! :p I hope you do end up rereading them! I'm glad I was able to remind you of how awesome they are! :-)

bookmark55

The 1st major rpg I remember playing was Myst. I did all the Myst to Urn (it insisted on blue screen crashing). My daughter and her husband gave me Baldur's gate where I got stuck on the roach bug things just before the bridge into the better part.
I was trying to play Morrowind on my laptop (unsuccessfully) when son-in-law gave me and suggested I jump to Skyrim for the xbox 360. This is like a fantasy series come to life! Normally I read Urban Fantasy but started in what Jim Butcher calls Swords and Horses which is the type that these Elderscroll RPG games are. I am hooked big time. My novel reading is falling way off. One night I started playing Skyrim after supper, around 6 0r 7 pm. Had to force myself to turn it off in order to get ready for work, where I have to be at 7 AM.

Right now I am terribly frustrated with Lydia-NOT about her dying or disappearing but with her hording apparel!

HoldxMyxDrank

Sounds like me, Skyrim was my first real in-depth RPG. I liked the storyline of Oblivion but for some reason I enjoyed watching my GF and roommate play it rather than playing myself.

Decided to give Skyrim a shot back in Nov and I love it. One of the first things I did was go dungeon crawling (big mistake). Went into a 'secret entrance' to some big fort, spent an hour and a half dying and reloading saves till I cleared it...only to find out that if I went to the front, there was a side quest where a group of 4 people were asking me to help them lol.

Ilya

Article Writer
Sounds like me, Skyrim was my first real in-depth RPG. I liked the storyline of Oblivion but for some reason I enjoyed watching my GF and roommate play it rather than playing myself.

Decided to give Skyrim a shot back in Nov and I love it. One of the first things I did was go dungeon crawling (big mistake). Went into a 'secret entrance' to some big fort, spent an hour and a half dying and reloading saves till I cleared it...only to find out that if I went to the front, there was a side quest where a group of 4 people were asking me to help them lol.

Bahahahaaha!!! That's awesome!! I also made that same mistake on the quest for the "golden claw"! LOL! I bet you had a good laugh though! ;)

George Alderman

hahaha i didnt charge blindly into skyrim, i spent time learning the basics and controls from videos and friends so i got comfy rather fast! that is a very funny story though! i probably would have done that as well!

Ilya

Article Writer
hahaha i didnt charge blindly into skyrim, i spent time learning the basics and controls from videos and friends so i got comfy rather fast! that is a very funny story though! i probably would have done that as well!

I probably would've done the same but I haf no one to really show me what to do, and I had no clue where to start...so I dove in head first and landed flat on my face several times! :p

Nice i loved it :)

Thanks Dallis! :) Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts