College of Winterhold - Several quest glitches HELP PLEASE!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kiran Sian

Hello Skyrim fans. Can someone please help me with a part of the Skyrim game that I'm stuck on? The quest 'Visit College of Winterhold' still shows up in my miscellaneous section, even though I've already started missions within the college. I didn't get in doing Faralda's 'test', but said something about being Dragonborn. Was this an incorrect option to choose? As far as I remember, I was taken on the tour, given my outfit etc. and did the first lesson with Tolfdir. But I only noticed that the quest was still 'incomplete' ages after, saving over saves and playing many more days of the game. So now the quest market just points to Nirya but I can't complete the quest.

I'm also having trouble completing another College of Winterhold miscellaneous quest..."Wait for Breyna's spell to wear off (she was half behind a wall and therefore failed to actually 'hit' me with the spell that's supposed to make you green, so I never turned green, and therefore can't go back to her after the spell has worn off).

And also having trouble completing "Onmund's Request" where you have to talk to Enthir about getting Onmund's amulet back. I go to speak to Enthir, but no options list comes up, so he just gives me responses without a list showing, so I don't have the option to talk to him about the amulet.

Thought it would be good to also add that Lydia doesn't stop running on the spot every time I go into the Hall of Attainment at the College.

Please don't tell me that the only option I have is to reset everything and make a new character?!

Thanks in advance if this question gets answered.

P.S. I'm playing this on XBox 360.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Hello Skyrim fans. Can someone please help me with a part of the Skyrim game that I'm stuck on? The quest 'Visit College of Winterhold' still shows up in my miscellaneous section, even though I've already started missions within the college. I didn't get in doing Faralda's 'test', but said something about being Dragonborn. Was this an incorrect option to choose? As far as I remember, I was taken on the tour, given my outfit etc. and did the first lesson with Tolfdir. But I only noticed that the quest was still 'incomplete' ages after, saving over saves and playing many more days of the game. So now the quest market just points to Nirya but I can't complete the quest.

I'm also having trouble completing another College of Winterhold miscellaneous quest..."Wait for Breyna's spell to wear off (she was half behind a wall and therefore failed to actually 'hit' me with the spell that's supposed to make you green, so I never turned green, and therefore can't go back to her after the spell has worn off).

And also having trouble completing "Onmund's Request" where you have to talk to Enthir about getting Onmund's amulet back. I go to speak to Enthir, but no options list comes up, so he just gives me responses without a list showing, so I don't have the option to talk to him about the amulet.

Thought it would be good to also add that Lydia doesn't stop running on the spot every time I go into the Hall of Attainment at the College.

Please don't tell me that the only option I have is to reset everything and make a new character?!

Thanks in advance if this question gets answered.

P.S. I'm playing this on XBox 360.

That sounds weird mate. In order for you to enter the college, you must show Faralda that you know some magic not only tell her that you are dragonborn. You must cast some magic on the circle on the floor to prove to her that you have some magic knowledge and she will grant you access to the college and from that moment on, you are a member already. Question : did you cast any spell in front of Faralda ? If not, and she let you in, I think that is a glitch and you probably must reload the game from that point on to continue.
Another question : Did you follow the quest-line as stated ? The reason I ask you this is because you are mentioning that you started some miscellaneous quest which I would not recommend at all. I think you need to follow Tolfir to Saarthal and after you finish all of the main college quest, then you can start doing the miscellaneous quests. I did that and everything was ok. Some miscellaneous quest require from you to be at different levels that you probably are not yet and probably that is the problem. For example, you can not complete the Conjuration quest unless your Conjuration is not at 90 or above. Just to let you know and I hope that you can reload your game and enter the college in the proper way so everything will work out as you expect it. Just my 2 cents ... ;)

Kiran Sian

Thanks very much for your answer. To answer your first question: No I didn't cast a spell that she asks you to cast in front of her. Persuaded her to let me in just by saying I was Dragonborn, which from reading other posts from this website and others, is a glitch (can't let Faralda let you in by 'persuasion', you have to do her test).
To answer you second question: Even though she let me in through persuasion, I was still able to carry on with the quest line for the college. However, after completing the Saarthal mission and then reporting back to the Arch Mage to tell him we found an orb, the orb doesn't appear at the college (which I think is the next step) and now Tolfdir is nowhere to be found at the college. This is when I realised something was wrong, because this is when the miscellaneous quests also messed up and when Lydia started exercising.
I'm unable to go back to a relevant save, because of saving over saves. So I've now done the simplest thing I can think of which was to create a new character. I was only level 25 anyway, so no biggie.
From now on I will take your advice and complete main quest line for each side main story, before I start miscellaneous quests. And will also make many more saves than I previously did.
Thank you for your help!

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Thanks very much for your answer. To answer your first question: No I didn't cast a spell that she asks you to cast in front of her. Persuaded her to let me in just by saying I was Dragonborn, which from reading other posts from this website and others, is a glitch (can't let Faralda let you in by 'persuasion', you have to do her test).
To answer you second question: Even though she let me in through persuasion, I was still able to carry on with the quest line for the college. However, after completing the Saarthal mission and then reporting back to the Arch Mage to tell him we found an orb, the orb doesn't appear at the college (which I think is the next step) and now Tolfdir is nowhere to be found at the college. This is when I realised something was wrong, because this is when the miscellaneous quests also messed up and when Lydia started exercising.
I'm unable to go back to a relevant save, because of saving over saves. So I've now done the simplest thing I can think of which was to create a new character. I was only level 25 anyway, so no biggie.
From now on I will take your advice and complete main quest line for each side main story, before I start miscellaneous quests. And will also make many more saves than I previously did.
Thank you for your help!

Sorry mate that you have to start all over again but I guess that game wise, It would be the right choice. The miscellaneous quests at the College are interesting but honestly, they are not really necessary for you to become stronger. From all of the miscellaneous quests, the only one that I really like is the one related to get : Fire storm, blizzard and Lightning Storm. Those are related to Destruction Magic and they are given by Faralda. However, those spells are very strong, they must be casted with two hands but if somebody interrupt you while trying to cast them off, they will not work. I don’t really use them at all.
So, my suggestion is to do the College main quest-line and whenever your level goes very high, then you can do the miscellaneous quests. Just try to get these spells from Tolfir and Enthir : Paralyze ( from Tolfir ) and Wall of fire, wall of frost and wall of shock from Enthir. They are expensive but useful, especially Paralyze from Tolfir. It may help you a lot in some combat situations. Happy gaming mate and if you have any more questions, please do not wait. ;)

Kiran Sian

Thank you very much for all your help! Yeah I know sucks to start all over again, but I'd rather do that than attempt anything that involves me to get technical.
Cheers mate! If I need more help, I'll know who to ask :)

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
It's not a glitch. If you wait to access the College until you're required to do so by the main quest line (Elder Knowledge), you get the Dragonborn dialogue option and don't have to complete Faralda's test which may be why the quest is stuck in your journal as an unfinished quest. It's annoying but it shouldn't affect your gameplay.

For Breylana's quest there's nothing you can do on an Xbox except reload and try the quest again. This has happened before with players with an absorb magic effect running with the same result, i.e. the spell never takes effect so it doesn't wear off.

None of the college instructors, including Enthir, will speak to you while the Staff of Magnus quest is active in your journal. Finish that quest and then you should be able to speak to Enthir.

Kiran Sian

What!? Did I make a new character for now reason then? Ahhh forget it now! I'm just gona stick with my new character now. Thanks anyway for your help though, wish you had answered sooner! Lol

Kiran Sian

Oh wait hold on, I forgot to say again that the main quest line is busted because after I've been to Saarthal and spoken to the Arch Mage about the discovery of the orb, the next quest doesn't appear and I can't complete the quest line for the college. So it must be a glitch then.
And I can't go back to last saves because I've saved over them.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts