Character customization later in the game?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
The question arose in another thread if there will be opportunities later in the game to change your character’s appearance and whether this should only includes haircuts and the like or more. Your thoughts?

I for one would like to see these features, some of which we already know from Fallout. After some time a beard might become boring and you would like to change it so why not? Hexperiment’s proposal of accumulating battle scars also sounds like it could be fun.

Jeruhmi

It would be lame if you couldn't get a hair trim/cut in Skyrim. I am sure they will have included it.
The thoughts of scars, tattoos, and whatnot are also awesome.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yeah, like I said, accumulation of scars would be pretty cool. If you don't like them, you can treat it away.

Also, I think there should be some sort of different look in terms of your reputation. If your character becomes infamous through heinous act, your character should look somewhat sinister. Maybe in terms of tone or just expression. If your character is good and heroic, your character should look somewhat... heroic? They could use subtle cues like tones and facial expression.

Jeruhmi

Yeah, like I said, accumulation of scars would be pretty cool. If you don't like them, you can treat it away.

Also, I think there should be some sort of different look in terms of your reputation. If your character becomes infamous through heinous act, your character should look somewhat sinister. Maybe in terms of tone or just expression. If your character is good and heroic, your character should look somewhat... heroic? They could use subtle cues like tones and facial expression.
So if they're more well known, their eyebrow could be raised, and they could have a big cheesy grin.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Facial expression for that would definitely be the better choice than what other games did. It’s also the one that probably makes the most sense. Although ... what if you want to play as a sociopath who seems normal but is actually batplops insane :p ?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
You'd probably dress up like normal people would wear rather than some ninja suit. It doesn't have to be something as obvious as facial expressions. Just general look I guess. But I guess you'll make your character look sinister during character creation if you wanted to make an evil character.

Jeruhmi

If the pre-game character setup had facial expressions that would be absolutely hilarious. I would have happy eyebrows and a cheeky smile.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Battle scars seem like a great idea. Similar concept to how you get them in Fable 3, right? They're permanent and can never be removed. They may provide some negative effects like less stamina and the areas you've got the scar more prone to damage.

Scars could also change the way people look up to you and even the dialogue options. I think this is a great idea and should have incorporated it within the game, but then Lionhead may get angry for 'stealing' their idea.

Jeruhmi

Battle scars seem like a great idea. Similar concept to how you get them in Fable 3, right? They're permanent and can never be removed. They may provide some negative effects like less stamina and the areas you've got the scar more prone to damage.

Scars could also change the way people look up to you and even the dialogue options. I think this is a great idea and should have incorporated it within the game, but then Lionhead may get angry for 'stealing' their idea.
Good points. I also think maybe if you were feared more by certain enemies, and they weren't necessarily aggressive towards you. Only the weaker ones of course.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
[B]ut then Lionhead may get angry for 'stealing' their idea.
Screw them! The industry lives from building upon each other’s ideas. There wouldn’t be much progress if everyone had to build their stuff from the ground up and avoid using any mechanic that they didn’t invent.

Jeruhmi

Screw them! The industry lives from building upon each other’s ideas. There wouldn’t be much progress if everyone had to build their stuff from the ground up and avoid using any mechanic that they didn’t invent.
You have said that really well. I believe it is unjust if a game developer does not take content from other games and improve it.

Tusck

I have never used a system that changes appearance later in the game. I doubt I would if it was in skyrim. Now if it was like KOTOR where your character changed based on alignment, or what Hex said somewhere else, that you gain scars and they stick with you, that is something I would love.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
You never went to a barber or the like where possible?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Never. I create my character and that's it. I never make changes. The way I figure it, by the high levels I have so much armor, helms, masks, etc, you can't see me anyway.
AHAHAHA that's pretty true. I don't like wearing huge helmet, probably because I don't like wearing them IRL and I can't see my character. I look like some weird tin-man or something. That's probably why I don't like heavy armor. Not to mention, you move so slow in it...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts