• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tusck

With 1 more week to go before Skyrim's release, I thought maybe I'd ask about character creation.

How long does it normally take you to make your characters? Is this like an hour long process where you make moves to ensure everything is correctly the way you envision, or do you just randomly pick things and move on.

Personally I close to the randomly pick things. I generally mess with the main bars, and take a few minutes to create the overall look, but I don't mess with the really deep bars that change chin size and things like that. Also, normally I start the the randomize button to get something cool.

Thoughts?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
It largely depends on the game. If there is some really deep character creation available then I will almost always use it though. Sometimes I even go as far as spending like half an hour modeling my character into my likeness by holding a photo up to the screen and finetuning every detail to make it look as similar as possible.

Mikk

Article Writer
My character creation takes hours, but that's because I'm indecisive as hell about races and classes. I'm a lot like you, Tusck, in that I tend to hit the randomise button repeatedly until I find something I'm satisfied with xD

Tusck

It largely depends on the game. If there is some really deep character creation available then I will almost always use it though. Sometimes I even go as far as spending like half an hour modeling my character into my likeness by holding a photo up to the screen and finetuning every detail to make it look as similar as possible.

WOW, that;s cool that you take that much time. I'm not sure that I have that much patience. Do you feel this brings you an greater amount of buy in to your character?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Definitely. I certainly can identify better with my character and have a more immersive feeling of actually “controlling” myself inside the game instead of some puppet. This also leads me to make my choices more as if I were in real life. So this will obviously benefit the playthrough with my pacifistic Nord character and make it easier for me to go through with this instead of possibly succumbing to the temptation of the seemingly “easier” way of just killing people / behaving malevolently.

My character face ends up covered so it dose not matter anyway but I do sometimes Igbo am a Mage if a fighter or rouge then I will not

Tusck

Cool Cool. When I play, I never think about what I would do in real life, I think about what I would want to do. That's why I love GTA games so much, I think about driving into the back of people's cars all the time. Don't judge me!

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I spent a couple of hours creating character in Oblivion. I don't think it had to do with the vast amount of options in the creation tool but the overall clusterfluff complexity of it. I move one slide and it shifts many others... wtf man.
Anyways, I can spend hours on character creation. I remember spending a lot of time on City of Heroes on character creation menu. I hope Skyrim doesn't have that clunky ridiculously complicated sliders but still has the extensive modification so that you can always make a character that looks unique compared to others, especially the NPCs.

Tusck

Oh yeah, COH/COV was the one time I spent just a ridiculous amount of time on character creation. But in general, I usually make my characters with something about them, like they are really old, or really fat, or really short... just something random depending on how I feel. Usually really old. lol

Jeruhmi

Oh yeah, COH/COV was the one time I spent just a ridiculous amount of time on character creation. But in general, I usually make my characters with something about them, like they are really old, or really fat, or really short... just something random depending on how I feel. Usually really old. lol
Are you older yourself? I find it would be weird to have an old character when I'm young.

Travis

My first couple of times through these types of games I took a lot of time, but now days, I'm loosing patience. Now that I am a dad, I only have some many hours a week I can play video games. So I can pick, spend it adjusting the height of my nose on my avatars face that I will rarely see, or get in explore a whole new world and fight a fire breathing dragon. Choice is kinda obvious if you have to pick. I'm envious of you guys that don't have to pick :)

Jep

I don't stop until it's perfect. Since this is a new game, I see myself taking around an hour to finish after tweaking every single slider to see exactly what it does.

Cyberote

Mayor of Zufadt
Like I said before, I'll check out Argonians, then Khajiit then Orcs, but then go back to Argonians and stick with em. Overall, this will probably take at least 45 minutes. Probably an hour. I like to have my character look exactly how I want it to.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I almost always play as a Nord. My class doesn't change too much either lately. I'm obsessed with perfecting the barbarian build. Two handed, Light Armour and Block are the essential 3 skills. It's what comes next that intrigues me about the barbarian, there's so many different aspects and ways to do it. I find myself constantly beginning again in search of the ultimate barbarian...come close before I reckon:)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts