Xbox 360 Character Build: Conan the Dragonborn

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which is your favorite Barbarian?

• Total voters

DJ Luigi

Mama-mia play that song again!
Last night I decided to watch the new Conan movie that was released back in 2011. I recall the hype it received and although it didn't live up to all the attention it got, it was still an entertaining movie and I would recommend it to anyone that liked the original. It's on Netflix too. :D

Anyways, when I was watching it, I couldn't help but see these constant parallels where this would make an excellent build for Skyrim, and surprisingly I haven't seen a single one anywhere on the internet! So without further ado...

Conan the Dragonborn
Conan-the-Barbarian-2011-1.jpg

Race: Nord
Stone: Lord
Stats Placement: 1 Health, 1 Stamina

Major Skills: Two Handed, Block, Light Armor
Minor Skills: Smithing, Alchemy, Sneak

Weapon: Steel Two Hand Sword
Armor: Hide/Fur

Becoming the Barbarian
"When a Cimmerian feels thirst, it is a thirst for blood. When he feels cold, it is the cold edge of steel. For the courage of a Cimmerian is tempered: he neither fears death... nor rushes foolishly to meet it. To be a Cimmerian warrior, you must have both cunning and balance as well as speed and strength."
Before we dive into the meat and potatoes of the build, it's important to let you know this guy will not be wearing any sort of headgear at any point in this build. This means you can't just use those fancy preset buttons and make a generic looking barbarian. That sucks the fun out of it! :eek:
So I've gone through the trouble of locating a means for anyone to make an accurate Conan! For those of you who are fans of the Governator, I will be sure to post the link for that as well!​
Forging Your Blade
"The sword we make will be yours one day. But before you wield the sword, you must first understand it."
Conan and his father Corin are Cimmerians, the finest Smiths in the land. It is said that Cimmerian Steel is so sharp you do not feel pain when struck by it, but pleasure. For this build, you will be using a single two hand sword made out of Steel, no shields, no bows. As your skill with Smithing improves, as will your understanding of the sword itself.​
The Barbarian Look
"Run from me... and I will tear apart the mountains to find you! I will follow you to Hell!"
I must say... half the fun I've had with this build so far is actually looking the part! Not only is his face accurate, but the armor he wears is almost a dead ringer for the gear he wears in the movie! The best part is this stuff is easy to find! I had his full gear before finishing Bleak Falls.​
Helmet - None​
Chest - Fur Armor (Shirtless)​
Hands - Hide Bracers​
Boots - Hide Boots​
Amulet - Amulet of Gauldor (or anything else that may look Barbarian)​
With the exception of the Amulet, Conan does not use Enchantments on any of his gear. Cimmerians don't trust magic nor do they use it. This also makes the fights much more exciting :p
Skills of a Cimmerian (Level 50)
"I live, I love, I slay, and I am content."
Two Handed - Cimmerians are masters of the blade, Conan prefers a large, heavy blade over the smaller variant. It is important to exercise caution when wielding such a large sword. While your cuts are devastating, it is far more difficult to parry after swinging.

Perks
Barbarian 5/5
Deep Wounds 3/3
Champion's Stance
Devastating Blow
Great Critical Charge
Warmaster

Block - Even though Conan does not use a shield, he still utilizes blocking with his sword. This is extremely important if you wish to survive. Rushing in swinging a sword does not bode well, especially if you're outnumbered. Remember to take it slow and find your footing.

Perks
Shield Wall 5/5
Quick Reflexes
Power Bash
Deadly Bash
Disarming Bash

Smithing - Cimmerians find themselves at home in a Forge nearly as much as they do on the battlefield. It's important to constantly keep improving Smithing so you have a decent Armor Rating.

Perks
Steel Smithing

Light Armor - Not having a helmet is going to put a hole in your Armor Rating, that being said it's extremely important that the gear you do have on has the highest rating possible. If you find yourself having a difficult time, heading to Riften, doing the quest for Ancient Knowledge at level 15 may give you a much needed boost in survivability.

Perks
Agile Defender 5/5
Custom Fit
Unhindered

Sneak - Stealth may not seem like an attribute you'd see on a Barbarian but there were several times during the movies where Conan would sneak up on someone and silently take them out. Also, I feel Light Armor and Sneak go hand-in-hand.

Perks
Stealth 5/5
Backstab

Speech - Although Barbarians may speak mostly in unintelligible grunts and yells. Conan is a very renowned figure and quite popular with the ladies. ;) Those particular grunts and yells can probably make a man or woman wet themselves. A high speech is necessary for intimidation checks and that's exactly what Conan is. Intimidating.

Perks
Haggling 1/5
Allure
Merchant
Bribery
Persuasion
Intimidation

Alchemy - Since you won't be parading around Skyrim in Heavy Armor or even enchanted gear for that matter. You will be guzzling potions. Since that's the case, it's important to know how to make them. Alchemy also gives you access to "The Riddle of Steel" which is certainly your most valuable asset.​
Perks
Alchemist 5/5​
Physician​
Benefactor​
The Potion of Blacksmithing
"Fire... and ice. That is the Riddle of Steel."
This particular part gave me a bit of grief, Cimmerians know the secret of forging the best weapons in the land. At first I wasn't certain if I wanted to reflect that characteristic through Alchemy or Enchanting. Since Enchanting is more 'magical' I decided Alchemy would be best.​
If you happen to come across any gear that Fortifies Alchemy, keep it and use it. It is possible to get 4 different pieces of gear with that enchant which will drastically improve your weapon and armor. For Heavy Role Players, this could represent further understanding of your sword! :D
Abilities of a Cimmerian
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
There are several Dragon Shouts that fit perfectly into Conan's arsenal. While you can use almost any Shout (within reason of course, no fire/ice breath) the following Shouts will really solidify the experience of playing Skyrim as Conan.​
Dismay - Conan lets out a horrifying battle cry that causes all but the most stalwart foes to flee and hide from his rage.​
Elemental Fury - The bloodlust of battle fills Conan, turning him into a whirling dervish of death and Steel. Using Adrenaline Rush with this Shout will greatly increase its effectiveness.​
Marked For Death - Conan's unshakable will and determination to kill his enemy rattles their nerves, causing them to make foolish mistakes in combat until they reach an inevitable end to his Steel.​
Slow Time - With years of combat experience, Conan can preemptively react to any given situation, allowing him to always be one step ahead of his enemy.​
Whirlwind Sprint - With a sudden burst of speed and agility, Conan closes the distance on his enemy, catching them by surprise and getting an early advantage in combat.​
The Epic Journey of Conan
This journey will encompass the entirety of the Conan movies, beginning from Conan the Barbarian (1982), Conan the Destroyer, and finally Conan the Barbarian (2011)​
Throughout your adventure you will run into several different factions, both good and evil:​

Allies
Stormcloaks - Cimmerians
Companions - Mongoose Faction
Dark Brotherhood - Bounty Hunter Faction
Thieves Guild - Arlagon, the City of Thieves

Enemies
Empire - The Snake Cult Army
Silver Hand - The Snake Cult
Forsworn - Snake Cult Fanatics

Conan will have many different followers throughout his journey, the Ally Pool continues to grow throughout each Chapter. Available Allies are listed above each quest. If you're looking for a good roleplay, give each follower the same armor as Conan, and nothing stronger than Steel.

Chapter 1
"To the hell fires with Thulsa Doom. He's evil; a sorcerer who can summon demons. His followers' only purpose is to die in his service. Thousands of them."

As a young boy Conan witnessed his entire village murdered at the hands of a madman named Thulsa Doom whose Armies ran under the standard of a serpent with a head on each end.

Afterwards, Conan was forced into shackles and worked at a mill every day until he became an adult at which point it closed down. A man purchased Conan to be a gladiator. Shortly after, he becomes a champion, winning much gold for his master.

His master then takes him across Tamriel where he is trained in all manner of combat skills, weaponry, and philosophy. Finally one evening his master, after having drunk too much, decides to free him.

The now free Conan finds himself being chased by wolves across the country-side, right into a regiment of the Snake Cult Army.

Complete the Unbound questline and head for Riverwood

The next morning, he finds a man chained behind a hut. His name is Subotai.

Fix Sven and Faendel's issue with Faendel winning her hand. Recruit Faendel (Subotai)

Subotai introduces Conan to thievery as a profession, Conan is always asking if anyone has seen the strange serpent symbol. One old man tells them that there is a snake cult of growing power with temples in many towns, including this one (Bleak Falls)

Ally Pool: Faendel
Clean out Bleak Falls, head to Whiterun, finish dragon quest, go see Greybeards (a temple of growing power)

...they move from town to town practicing their trade, seeking the leader of the cult. Upon their journey they come across a spirited warrior named Valencia (Lydia) and hear rumors of an ancient temple, lead by a powerful Captain of the Snake Cult, Rexor.

Ally Pool: Lydia, Faendel
Do Thieves Guild questline until Eye of Falmer quest, Mercer Frey = Rexor, Doom's Captain.

After defeating Rexor, Conan wanders the land looking for other temples and inadvertently releases a curse that threatens his very life! Spirits from the Underworld try to drag him to Hell!

Ally Pool: Lydia, Faendel
Black Star Quest, cleanse the artifact from within and escape.
http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Black_Star

After nearly losing his life to the Underworld, Conan returns to the world and an ambush where Valencia loses her life. Stricken with grief, Conan gives Valencia a Warriors Burial and meets Akiro (Marcurio), a powerful mage and the two quickly become friends.. the two return to the location of the ambush and track the enemy right to the dangerous leader of the Snake Cult, Thulsa Doom.

Ally Pool: Faendel, Marcurio (Find him at the Bee and Barb in Riften)
Head to Shearpoint and kill Krosis, collect his mask.

Having defeated the man who killed his father, Conan sits on the steps of the temple, thinking about what to do next.

END of Chapter 1

Chapter 2

While praying at an altar, Conan and his friend Malak (Erik the Slayer) are confronted by Queen Taramis of Shadazar, who tests them in combat with several of her guards, attempting to capture him. She tells him that she has a quest for him. He learns of a special jewel crown of the dreaming god, Dagoth. She tasks Conan with the completion of the crown. Before Conan begins, he must first find an old friend.

Head to Rorikstead and do Erik the Slayer's quest to add him as an Ally
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Erik_the_Slayer_(quest)

Queen Taramis warned Conan that he would encounter magic in his journey, Conan must seek an old friend who is in trouble with bandits in the area.

Ally Pool: Erik the Slayer
Head to Liar's Retreat and clear out the bandits to add Akiro as an ally
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Liar's_Retreat

After freeing Akiro from the clutches of the bandits, Conan continues his journey, seeking to complete the Crown, in his adventures he assists the escape of a powerful warrior, Zula.

Ally Pool: Erik the Slayer, Marcurio, Jenassa (Find her in Whiterun)
Barenziah's Crown - Primary quest
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:No_Stone_Unturned

Upon completing the Crown, the ancient God Dagoth awakens. Conan must defeat him.

Ally Pool: Erik the Slayer, Marcurio, Jenassa
Dragon Priest Rahgot (Dagoth)
http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Siege_on_the_Dragon_Cult

END of Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Several years later Conan is now a mercenary along with his pirate friend Artus (Belrand), through their travels they come upon a slave camp.

Ally Pool: Belrand (Find him in Solitude)
Clear Kolskeggr Mine (Slave Camp)
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Kolskeggr_Mine_(quest)

After successfully raiding the Slave camp, Conan and Artus bring the survivors to the city of Markarth. The snake cult has grown in size over the last decade due to its powerful leader Khalar Zym, and they have a small garrison in the city. Conan sees one of his men, now an out of shape warden, pursuing a pickpocket, Ela-Shan (Vorstag), and allows himself to be arrested in a bid to learn more about his enemy.

Ally Pool: Vorstag (Find him at the Silver Blood Inn)
Do The Forsworn Conspiracy quest and escape the mine
http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Forsworn_Conspiracy

Conan soon escapes prison and tortures the warden for information about Zym and the Snake Cult. After Conan promises to spare him, the warden reveals that Zym is seeking the pure blood descendant of the sorcerers of Acheron, as it will take their blood to unlock the Mask's true power.

While Conan wasn't able to get a lot of information regarding his location, he does discover there is a Faction dedicated to the elimination of the Snake Cult, (Dark Brotherhood) hoping to find more information about Zym's location, Conan undertakes the Oath

Ally Pool: Vorstag, Belrand
Finish the Dark Brotherhood questline

It turns out the leader of the Dark Brotherhood was actually none other than Zym's daughter and the "Snake Cult targets" were on another Faction threatening the Cult's progress toward completing the mask! Upon learning of this information Conan heads to the
Mongoose Faction (Companions) to join the fight against the Snake Cult!

Finish the Companions questline (Don't be a werewolf)

After a valiant effort of preventing the Snake Cult from completing their objective, the Mongoose Faction failed in their endeavor. Zym unlocked the hidden magic in the mask and resurrected his evil dead sorceress of a wife and vanished to his Dark Temple. With no more leads, Conan must join the Cimmerians in the battle against the Snake Cult's presence in Skyrim!

Ally Pool: Vorstag, Belrand (No Armor restrictions)
Finish the Civil War Questline

After the Cimmerians knocked down the final bastion of the Snake Cult in Skyrim, their General gives Conan the means of locating the Dark Temple in exchange for his life. Not believing in surrender, Conan ends his life anyway and heads to the College of Winterhold where the Dark Temple awaits!

Finish the Mages Guild questline

Morokei in Labyrinthian is Zym's resurrected wife, after defeating her and receiving the staff. Head to the Dark Temple for the final battle against Zym!

With the Snake Cult destroyed, Conan returns to his old village and tells his father that he has avenged his death and recovered the sword stolen from him long ago, before departing in search of new pursuits... but that's another story.
Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy this build as much as I did writing it :D

Nighthiker77

Cool. I'm not really feeling the alteration, and he wore something very similar to a leather helmet several times in the original movie.

DJ Luigi

True, he did wear one but look how goofy he looks :p
Conan+%2526+Crew.jpg

I feel ya on the Alteration, but not having a helmet's armor rating is no biggie if you have it on. With the Gaulder Amulet you don't have to put a single point in Magicka and you can cast up to Ironflesh which is pretty good for not putting any points into your magic pool :D

Nighthiker77

If you are on PC, I have an invisible helmet mod. I could find out where I got it. Then you could slap a helmet on him, have it still look right, and not mess with alteration.

I think that could be a really cool roleplay trying to match quests to the movies

DJ Luigi

Good idea, I can do some homework and see if theres any quests that'd work :D Sadly i'm not on PC, I play on 360.

DJ Luigi

After doing some further research, I've decided to remove Alteration from the build and replace it with Pickpocketing, on top of that I've spent a lot of time divvying over all three movies: Conan the Barbarian (1982), Conan the Destroyer, and Conan the Barbarian (2011) I intend to create a quest line that goes from the first movie all the way to the last. :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts