Champion of molag bal build help

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Verac

Hi ive always wanted to make a "Champion of molag bal" RP and build i got the RP down but the build is tricky when i think of a champion of molag obviously you use his mace as your primary weapon. But at the same time he dabbles deep in necromancy ((And i believe he created it?)) so conjuration for corpses or coldharbour daedra ((if that mod will ever come out for SSE!!) but i also think destruction to and perhaps even armor....normally im very creative but this one has me stumped could anyone lend me their creativity? Also i use the mods ordinator, imperious races and aurora stones.((if that means anything)) thanks in advance molag is one of my favored daedra if not the most and since day one ive tried making this build but i just cant nail it. Also how in a RP standpoint should a champion of molag do besides take leaks on other gods statues and kill boethiahs servants and squat on her statue? I know followers of molag are very powerful and are the embodiment of what he is, Domination. Power. And the complete destruction or subjugation of ones foes. Thats about all i know also not to strut around acting like an evil doer. Basically im asking what are other do's and donts like in quests what truly defines a champion of molag bal in terms of questing without having to skip things?/

Last edited:

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to apologize in advance for the wall of text that follows, I just really enjoy the idea that you have brought up with this character and I may even use it myself when I complete my current builds.

So to me it sounds like you have a pretty good and basic understanding of the god himself, which is good, because now you have a wonderful place to start from. Now I am going to add a little bit of my knowledge of the lore here, just for you to utilize for your character - as a Champion of Molag Bal I would like to think that he/she has a masterful understanding of the god that he/she serves in order to better his/her ability to do the Prince's bidding.

Molag Bal is the Prince of devouring souls and scheming. Essentially his entire motivation is to collect and devour the souls of mortal beings as well as bring mortals into his own control by masterfully planting seeds of negativity and evil throughout the world. Along with that, likely his most important goal is to bring his plane of Oblivion - Coldharbor, and connect it with Nirn to control and rule it as he does with his realm. Keep this all in mind, I'll explain the importance of this later.

Another thing that is VERY important to note, is the aspect of Necromancy. Molag Bal didn't create Necromancy, though one could say that his champion could utilize it. Mages of the earliest ages of Nirn stumbled upon the school of magic, but quickly denounced it's usage - as they found that extensive usage of the school would eventually drive the user mad and evil. What Bal did create however, were Vampires, which is another different type of undead soul (this is also important later). With this said, Molag Bal focuses more on the manipulation of souls. He likes to disturb the peace, so to speak. This can be done with Illusion Magic, heavily focused on Fury spells and Fear spells, while lightly dabbling in Calm spells (as to portray Bal's ideals and representation). As for Destruction, I would say use the school that causes the most chaos and damage (just like Bal), and that would be Fire spells. Things like Wall of Fire, Fire Runes and Fire Storm would be particularly Roleplay friendly, but most all of them would be great.

NOW, for the roleplaying.

As the Champion of Molag Bal, Roleplaying the character should be focused heavily on bringing the souls of the living to Coldharbor for Bal's devouring, and bringing as much destruction and chaos to Nirn as possible. As an emissary of the Deadric Prince, it would be encouraged to practice his ways similarly to bring him honor. This would mean controlling the souls of the living until they serve you no benefit, and then banishing them to Coldharbor. I would go about it by using Illusion Magic to aid the Champion on reeking havoc on his/her foes, and then killing them. You could use the soul trap spell if you want, and act as if that very spell is you connecting to Coldharbor in order to send the souls there. This could also allow you to use Enchantments for your Armor later on.

Offensively, of course you need to be using his Mace as it only aids your mission. Along with that, as I said fire magic or even another weapon for dual wielding would be great. The more damage, the more destruction, and the more chaos - the better. Every encounter should feel like, and pardon my french, an absolute cluster-f. It should be crazy and out of control, and you should be a flurry of damage ripping through the battle. No matter how chaotic you make the battle though, you will still be in control of all Mortals involved via Illusion magic. Turning enemies on each other, raising dead foes to continue the fray, and lighting the surroundings with impressive flames while you plow through the battle, crushing skulls as you go.

Now with this playstyle, you're going to be HIGHLY vulnerable to damage, so you'll need to counter that with as much armor as you can. Heavy armor is your friend here, and I would even throw in some Flesh Spells from the Alteration tree in there as well, to only add to your armor rating. This is also where the soul trapping and enchantments would come in. Using the Soul Trap spell will allow you send souls to Bal, as well as giving you the ability to harvest their power whenever you want through soul gems. If you decided to dual wield weapons, whatever weapon you have that isn't Bal's mace you could enchant with Soul Trap. Your armor can be enchanted with anything from Fortify Heavy, to Stamina, Health or Magicka, or even general magic resistances based on the race that you decide to choose. For the more powerful the champion, the more successful their mission.

Remember how I brought up how Bal created Vampires? Well, this could be another awesome addition to the roleplaying and gameplay. Vampires have access to a lot of soul manipulation type spells, and have spells that absorb health - you can literally devour the souls of mortals just like your patron deadric prince. These spells, along with feeding off the blood of the living, and all the other Vampiric abilities only give a ton more depth to the roleplaying. It's not particularly necessary, but I myself would recommend it.

Now for the Races. You can of course pick whatever you would like, but for the most roleplaying opportunity, I would go with either Orsimer (Orc) or Dunmer (Dark Elf). These 2 races are the "abomination races", created from darkness and putrid circumstance. Though the Orsimer were created by Malacath, the god of the ostracized and curses, it would be really cool roleplay from the perspective of this race. A well hated and feared people, forced to live away from all other populations - having a character like that would only add to the potential strength, power and visage of Bal's Champion. Not to mention their racial ability is perfect for the types of battles your character will be constantly enthralled in. Plus, an Orc Vampire? Talk about bad-ass. As for Dunmer, their race is literally the Cursed Race. Azura damned them all, permanently. Along with the Orsimer, they are relatively well hated, and even feared - in Skyrim especially. Roleplay wise, it's the same as playing an Orsimer, it just adds to the visage. Soot or ash colored skin, blood red eyes - just a general evil look. They get bonus points as well for their racial resistance too, as they take way less damage from fire than all other races - this paired with Vampirism almost completely balances out the weakness to fire that Vampires get. Their racial ability too helps incredibly with the types of battles you'll have, cloaking yourself in fire, and just looks really awesome while doing it as well.

So I think I covered most everything I could think of when it comes to the Roleplaying, so now I am going to give you the gear setup I am definitely going to shoot for when I play this build, as well as the play direction I would go until the Mace of Bal becomes available (which shortly after entering Markarth.)

For me, I'd try to get to at least Level 5 before getting the mace, just to set up a base set of skills before starting the champions journey. I'd do this mainly by traveling from major city to major city, and doing a bounty contract for each, before eventually ending up in Markarth. You could do this as many times as you want honestly, as the mace scales with your level (unless you download specific mods that effect the daedric artifacts). So essentially the higher your level when you get the mace, the more powerful the mace is. If you want to become a Vampire and are going that route, I'd suggest starting the Dawnguard quests, which requires at least level 10. You'd get the Vampire Lord ability, and access to all the Vampire spells I mentioned before as the Questline progresses. This could be roleplayed as your character tasting the incredible power of Molag Bal's creations, and tipping your character in the direction of becoming interested in the Prince. You don't have to complete the entire questline, you could even just go until Harkon shares his blood with you and then just continue on your way with immense power. Once you get the Mace, or even before that, you could delve into the quests for the Mages College, in order to learn and master your Illusion Spells, and gain as much power as possible from them. Then outside of those 2 questlines, I'd say you can really do anything from there. As long as there is power to be gained, and souls to be damned, this character's opportunities are endless.

The Spells I'd use:
- Alteration (Optional): Oakflesh, Stoneflesh, Ironflesh (This is really the highest Flesh spell you'd need, as around this time you'll have access to numerous options of powerful armors)

- Restoration (Optional): Necromatic Healing, Heal Undead

- Destruction: Any/All Flame Spells, Vampiric Drain (This is the Absorb Health spell)

- Conjuration: Any/All reanimation spells, Soul Trap, maybe even Conjure Dremora Lord

- Illusion: Any/All of them, Focused mainly on Fear and Fury

Gear I'd Use:
Steel Armor > Orcish Armor > Ebony Armor > Dragonbone/Daedric Armor (Or Any combination of Armors and Armor Mods to look intimidating)

If Dual Wielding - Steel Mace > Orcish Mace > Dragonbone/Daedric Mace (Or any bad-ass Weapon Mods)

~

This is all just my two-cents, so take it however you will! I think your idea is awesome, and whether or not this helps in any way, I wish you luck on the character and would love to see pictures and hear updates on how awesome it goes! Good Luck! :D (Also if you have any other questions, feel free to ask away! I'd love to discuss ideas :).)

Last edited:

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Also, if you wouldn't mind, I might make an official build for this. I wouldn't do so without your approval however!

Verac

Also, if you wouldn't mind, I might make an official build for this. I wouldn't do so without your approval however!
Totally fine i mean i came for help myself to help polish it go ahead. As for questions i use ordinator which adds quite a nasty bit of perks and i was actually planning on a dunmer to though not for the racial but their ties to molag atleast from a morrowind perspective also another mod changes racials so i lose the nice fire resistance )= illusion has also always mod or not been a very consuming tree and due to the mod i dont want to be stretched to thin, Ive also noticed fury dousn't tend to work half of the time they just sit there for a moment like "Im angry lets fi-wait, Nah lets go gang up on that guy over there even though were bewitched to kill eachother." lol also i just thought as a champion of molag do you agree that a companion((or a deathhound if i go vampire a hound for hunting souls)) is a must? I mean it could be someone that has been broken to my chars will. Also the biggest question what should i focus more on? Magic or mace to the face? it will be difficult to have a good amount of stam for the mace and a nice plentiful mana supply including health.

Verac

Also necromancy could also be seen((inspired by the ESO trailer)) as a soul being forced after being broken and killed. Just an interesting take on the more mundane cliche mindless zombies. I mean the minions in skyrim do speak time to time

Verac

Oh some other things i forgot to throw out is like restoration could work masterfully especially with my mod which you have a tree that splits into more disease oriented and twisted forms of restoration going so far as turning it into offense or halting the foes healing. So thats a must also destruction is a must even more so since the mace of molag scales with fire damage ((i dont think its a glitch cause his name means fire stone)) as for armor im still waiting for the coldharbour mod to port to SSE from oldrim i mean i dont know how to manual download stuff from oldrim to SSE. But that mod uses custom dremora models with cold blue skin and blue eyes and daedric armor with blue glowing eyes and glowing ghastly blue underneath rather then red. Also atronachs are blue and it comes with blue fire spells....quite an amazing mod just wish it would hurry to SSE. But that is 100% the go to for armor and minions. Also ordinator is a must imo for the many more fantasy perks and more options like i stated earlier with resto how you can take the twisted side of it. Aurora standing stones is good to it makes the ritual stone AMAZING you channel and all corpses raise so long as you channel and i dont think its a day cooldown. I also use zims immersive artifacts to make molags mace better.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
You bring some valid points there. Perhaps I am used to a mod I have installed that I can't name off the top of my head that modifies the effectiveness of Illusion spells and all magic spells alike. I'm sure the mod you have that changes the Races probably makes up for the fire resistance that you lose with the Dunmer, however I don't know the specifics. That could definitely be made up with enchantments though. Resist Fire Enchantments, though rare to find naturally, are really helpful and definitely worth nabbing whenever the chance presents itself. Since you aren't planning on focusing on Illusion, I'd say at most you'd need to put focus into Destruction, and enough into Conjuration to learn Soul Trap, and Necromancy if you feel like you're going that route, I think Necromancy is a must with the way your are going to be playing. As for the balancing of your Health, Mana and Stamina, I'd focus most of your early game on your One-handed, Maces and Stamina and then move towards Mana Mid-game, and then by late game you'll have a pretty decent balance.

So I'd do something like: 1|1|2 until level 10 which would put you at 120|120|160.
Then 2|1|1 until level 20 which you put you at 180|140|180.
Then for the rest of the game stick with a 2|1|2 spread. By level 40 you'll be at 260|180|260.
That's how I'd do it anyway. By level 25 you'll be able to cast most all the Necro spells (aside of Dread Zombie and higher), as well as most other spells up to adept (This is without any perks, mind you). From level 25 on you can mostly modify the spread to where you need it, but if you keep the 2|1|2 that's where you'd be by 40.

When it comes to Companions, honestly I think you could go either way. As you said you can roleplay that you are in control of their soul, and thus they must serve you. However, there are some companions that won't necessarily fit in with your character, as there are some who don't like certain evil actions. I'd say by late game you can drop a regular companion and just use the Dead Thrall spell to reanimate any corpse virtually permanently, or the Unbound Dremora spell which gives you a relatively permanent Dremora follower. When getting a companion, I'd shoot for a mage that way you get some ranged support. J'Zargo and Onmund from the College are great options, but having a tanky warrior at your side could be helpful as well - for this character the companions are mostly situational, so taking in account the types of corpses you reanimate more of and anticipating that will help your decision in follower options. Goldir at Hillgrund's Tomb is a great warrior companion, as are Stenvar in Windhelm and Vorstag in Markarth. A good early game follower is Jenassa in Whiterun, she has proficiency in Archery as well as one handed, so it's good early game coverage while you have limited conjuration possibilities.

I think with the mod combinations you have right now, this general setup would be a good template, but with much more flexability for the setup. I don't know exactly all the costs and stuff of the spells you'll have with the mods, but this setup should be able to cover them relatively well and it's very easy to modify the specs for your needs as you go. That power you just mentioned sounds really cool btw, and really seems perfect for this build too. It sounds exactly like what I would expect out of an emissary of this specific Daedric Prince.

Verac

You bring some valid points there. Perhaps I am used to a mod I have installed that I can't name off the top of my head that modifies the effectiveness of Illusion spells and all magic spells alike. I'm sure the mod you have that changes the Races probably makes up for the fire resistance that you lose with the Dunmer, however I don't know the specifics. That could definitely be made up with enchantments though. Resist Fire Enchantments, though rare to find naturally, are really helpful and definitely worth nabbing whenever the chance presents itself. Since you aren't planning on focusing on Illusion, I'd say at most you'd need to put focus into Destruction, and enough into Conjuration to learn Soul Trap, and Necromancy if you feel like you're going that route, I think Necromancy is a must with the way your are going to be playing. As for the balancing of your Health, Mana and Stamina, I'd focus most of your early game on your One-handed, Maces and Stamina and then move towards Mana Mid-game, and then by late game you'll have a pretty decent balance.

So I'd do something like: 1|1|2 until level 10 which would put you at 120|120|160.
Then for the rest of the game stick with a 2|1|2 spread. By level 40 you'll be at 260|180|260.
That's how I'd do it anyway. By level 25 you'll be able to cast most all the Necro spells (aside of Dread Zombie and higher), as well as most other spells up to adept (This is without any perks, mind you). From level 25 on you can mostly modify the spread to where you need it, but if you keep the 2|1|2 that's where you'd be by 40.

When it comes to Companions, honestly I think you could go either way. As you said you can roleplay that you are in control of their soul, and thus they must serve you. However, there are some companions that won't necessarily fit in with your character, as there are some who don't like certain evil actions. I'd say by late game you can drop a regular companion and just use the Dead Thrall spell to reanimate any corpse virtually permanently, or the Unbound Dremora spell which gives you a relatively permanent Dremora follower. When getting a companion, I'd shoot for a mage that way you get some ranged support. J'Zargo and Onmund from the College are great options, but having a tanky warrior at your side could be helpful as well - for this character the companions are mostly situational, so taking in account the types of corpses you reanimate more of and anticipating that will help your decision in follower options. Goldir at Hillgrund's Tomb is a great warrior companion, as are Stenvar in Windhelm and Vorstag in Markarth. A good early game follower is Jenassa in Whiterun, she has proficiency in Archery as well as one handed, so it's good early game coverage while you have limited conjuration possibilities.

I think with the mod combinations you have right now, this general setup would be a good template, but with much more flexability for the setup. I don't know exactly all the costs and stuff of the spells you'll have with the mods, but this setup should be able to cover them relatively well and it's very easy to modify the specs for your needs as you go. That power you just mentioned sounds really cool btw, and really seems perfect for this build too. It sounds exactly like what I would expect out of an emissary of this specific Daedric Prince.
You

Janessa does make sense her obession with her work and calling it "art" when shes infact very bloodthirsty could easily be "persuaded" to join the ranks of molag. But honestly i just thought with the mace perks in ordinator combined with bodies. You really dont need companions((besides pack mules) there is a mace perk called "rise my kin!" when you forward attack it inspires all around you to do more damage and have more armor this includes the dead. If you want to know the mods i use ((which i HIGHLY reccomend if not a must for this build)) is Ordinator for the perk overhaul. Sacrosanct which makes being a vampire SOOOO much more immersive and powerful while having the weaknesses and plights of a vampire would have if not worse to balance things out. Zims immersive artifacts for a more interesting version of molags mace ((still does the same i forgot the changes besides speed) you can change the enchant color to vampiric red to. Aurora stones for an overhaul on standing stones making them MUCH more interesting and immersive making each standing stone useful unlike vanilla where you had the "meta" stones to pick such as the lover or the atronach. and lastly i use apocalypse spells for new creatures and daedra and other nifty spells ((Though some make no sense and are useless)) and imperious races which is a race overhaul mod example dunmer are immersive with their ancestors occsionally your ancestors will whisper to you and mark a foe killing said foe gains favor with your ancestor and powers your ancestors shield and fire resistence if you complete the quest you can on a day cooldown call upon an unkillable ancestor to aid you((which you can RP is a soul of an ancestor you so brazenly enslaved to your service)) and just for more "brutality" get "heart breaker" when someones on their knees you grab them by the neck and shove your hand in their chest and rip out their still beating heart((which yes is added to your inventory)) leaving a bloody hole in their chest. Seems very molag to me. Also i apologize for the wall of text. And on a side note would look at another topic i put up about a sword for another char i made and give me your two cents? Id appreciate it you seem to have a similar mindset to me so i think you could help.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Damn, those mods sound friggin awesome. Genuinely perfect for this type of build. I'm without a doubt going to look at them XD. I don't think I'm going to include them in the build I am going to post because I want it to be universal for all systems when I make it, that way everybody gets to experience the fun. But I'm probably going to use them in my own personal play. Imperious Races peaks my interest especially, if not for all the cool stuff it adds to the Dunmer, then just for what it does for the other races ha ha

And for sure! I'll go check it out :D

Pete

You got to become a vampire lord and do the 'cold harbor' thing. A great mod is better vampires by brennen. That will give you a great time as a vampire.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts