Bright Realistic Lighting Settings

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
ScreenShot75.jpg ScreenShot80.jpg
View attachment 594ScreenShot56.jpg
View attachment 593 View attachment 592
ScreenShot41.jpg View attachment 588
ScreenShot55.jpg
ScreenShot54.jpgScreenShot53.jpg
ScreenShot50.jpgScreenShot51.jpg

Hi all, the file attached at the end of this post contains the settings I am currently using for the excellent Realistic Lighting with Customization mod by Pluto - 747823 - Leviathan1753 - Sydney666
which can be found here:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7654

I am not sure If I should upload the actual mod here...You do not need to register with Nexus to download a small mod like this, but if you cannot for any reason, let me know.

These settings are based on Petes117 Realistic Lighting custom INI file
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9274

I will post screenshots later, basically these settings are designed to give high contrast and high visibility in all situations while still looking good and atmospheric. You will not need a torch to see where you're going but you may need one to find chains that open doors , or stuff on the floor.

The improvements to the visual quality that the RL mod can make are fantastic, and you should all try it, as it has no impact on performance.
It simply alters the lighting settings of the built-in HDR engine.
Bethesda's defaults were designed to give maximum colour and brightnes for people playing on consoles and TVs and are a real crime against the quality of the textures employed.

Basically, default graphics can look bad because saturation from overly bright light creates a kind of pixelation effect. They have added a lot of bloom effect to the lighting which can create an eyesore... There is also an eye-adapt effect which can worsen the situation as it fails to adjust properly at all times.
All in all, the default lighting settings are exaggerated and sometimes make Skyrim look like a 10-year old game, especially in dungeons.

The RL mod fixes all that.

These settings here employ a subtle Depth of Field effect and a little bloom to warm things up a bit, but sunny days will have a cold light of the kind you get in alpine environments.

A lot of attention has been given to correcting lighting issues indoors and in dungeons.

HOW TO USE:

-Download and install the Realistic Lighting mod from the first link given here. These settings were originally made for version 3.31 of the mod, but they seem to work well on v3.4, which has some noticeable improvements.

-Dowload and unpack the contents of the zip file I am offering here into the Data directory and overwrite.
The zip file contains two files, Realistic Lighting.ini and Realistic Lighting Patcher.esp, which replace the mod's default files.

-The settings were made with game brightness set to 2 notches above midway.

All you actually need to apply my settings is the Realistic Lighting Patcher.esp, the ini file is there for reference. To alter the settings, simply editing the ini file will not work. You need to use the java patcher that comes with the mod to make any changes in the ini actually apply.

-Make sure that the Realistic Lighting Patcher.esp loads after Realistic Lighting.esp.

You only need to use the Java patcher if you want to alter the settings. If you cannot use that, there is a large and growing selection of settings for different tastes available at the Nexus, but most of them have issues I did not like, specifically they set the sky too dark which results in bright mountains when the weather is heavily cloudy, and they make you need to use a torch in dark situations, which of course prevents you from using your left hand with a weapon.

I warn you that tweaking the settings can be very addictive if you like eye candy and tweaking in general.
It is very difficult to arrive at settings that look great in all weather, and compromises will have to be made, because of the game's and the mod's current limitations.

I recommend also installing the beautiful Alternate Sunglare mod for a quality sun, as seen in my screenshots.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=1653
Enjoy the light!

Attachments

• HyperRL.zip
    8 KB · Views: 162

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Screenshots coming tonight or tom. morning the latest. I got some more Words of Power to learn first!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
File updated with better dungeon settings, please re-download .
Some screenies added.

I use these settings with game brighness set to 2 notches above the middle, and it looks better and brighter than the screenshots.

The cave walls in the shots are from the Snow & Rocks Textures HD (1024 version)

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Yes, the RL mod will work with everything apart from any other mod that attempts to alter lightiing settings.

Updating file again shortly, please hold...

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Updated. I could post screenshots forever, it looks amazing. May update again next weekend if I can improve it further.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
ScreenShot69.jpgScreenShot67.jpg ScreenShot65.jpg

File updated with some corrections and improvements....

That looks awesome. Try to use a 2x texture mod and this one at the same time. The result: PURE AWESOMENESS

Oops. I should have read all the posts.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Yep, it is sweet. i 'll try to make the nights slightly brighter without messing it up.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts