• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

rvk5150

Hello everyone,

Fairly new but really love these forums; I appreciate all the good conversation.

So; I bought Breezehome...Whiterun is one of most convenient cities so I thought it would be best. I get inside and it is all dirty and unorganized; I know I have to gather some things to decorate but how do you go about fixing things up? Also; I am happy to have a storage chest up by my bed (I have been using a tower at Mistwatch but fear any day it becomes occupied again and looted by bandits) and the question I have is how secure is the chest in my room? Already Lydia has appeared in the house (not sure I ever plan to get married) and a guard...will they or even thieves take things from the chest or if I leave them out?

Chryss

the house is safe. Actually the safest place to store your items is a house you own. Lydia is there to protect your stuff and does not take anything. As for decorating, if you bought all the available items (room decorations) for your house from the Steward, your house is set. You dont have to marry Lydia just because she is there.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

Hello everyone,

Fairly new but really love these forums; I appreciate all the good conversation.

So; I bought Breezehome...Whiterun is one of most convenient cities so I thought it would be best. I get inside and it is all dirty and unorganized; I know I have to gather some things to decorate but how do you go about fixing things up? Also; I am happy to have a storage chest up by my bed (I have been using a tower at Mistwatch but fear any day it becomes occupied again and looted by bandits) and the question I have is how secure is the chest in my room? Already Lydia has appeared in the house (not sure I ever plan to get married) and a guard...will they or even thieves take things from the chest or if I leave them out?

Hi RVK, Chryss pretty much summed it up but I'll just add a few points. Firstly, Whiterun is a perfect HQ because as you said it is central although other houses will become available with better facilities. All houses start in a very run down state but you don't need to gather anything, all improvements can be bought from the steward of the town, these improvements also tidy the cobwebs etc. With all improvements you will have plenty of storage space to organise your gear. House storage does not refresh and is therefore the safest place so always store your important gear in one, any other chest is a risk. There is a very rare bug that will refresh your house making you lose all your gear (it happened to me once in 500 hours play time and was easily solved by a reload but save every hour or so just to be on the safe side). Lydia is your Huscarl, she is there because you are a Thane, she will protect your stuff and can be a follower if you want to, she will not take any gear that you do not directly give to her and nobody will steal your items. NPCs occassionally appear inside your house if they started to talk to you outside but this is a very minor bug, they will say their dialogue and then immediately leave so don't worry about that. As for marriage, she is not marriageable without mods so just enjoy her company!

rvk5150

Thanks for the info folks!

On the other hand I got into a fistfight and won (of course) against the Stablemaster at Riften; after his horses became take instead of steal so I took one...now my horse travels with me everywhere when I fast travel but immediately walks away once I dismount; is that normal or did I get the horse without paying by a glitch and that is why he will not stick with me?

asparticus_maraudius

I am asparticus fear my wrath!!!!!!
Hello everyone,

my freind when you start getting some more chests and cupbourds inside that when the free storing begins you should talk to the same guy you spoke to about decorating your house,its soo cool.

asparticus_maraudius

I am asparticus fear my wrath!!!!!!
and just buy the entire decorating...include your alchemy lab and the next house which is in soltitude should cost you a wopping 25000 gold.I think it might have more in it other then just a alchemy lab.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Welcome, rvk. I wouldn't worry about your horse walking away when you dismount. If he's there when you fast travel, he'll be there when you fast travel somewhere else, provided you didn't kill him/her by thinking "this mountain isn't too high for him/her to make the jump." Don't ask me how I know. So, say you come outta a dungeon and he's not there where you left him? Just fast travel wherever you need to and he'll/she'll be there, too. Perhaps not right by your side if you're in a city. If that's the case, just check your friendly neighborhood stables.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

Thanks for the info folks!

On the other hand I got into a fistfight and won (of course) against the Stablemaster at Riften; after his horses became take instead of steal so I took one...now my horse travels with me everywhere when I fast travel but immediately walks away once I dismount; is that normal or did I get the horse without paying by a glitch and that is why he will not stick with me?

If you own a horse and fast travel, it will automatically spawn in your new location, horses are pretty headstrong and will do their own thing, but you should be able to mount it immediately if you want to travel with your horse from the new location. Legitimately buying or stealing a horse should not affect that. (Check your crimes list to see if you have horse theft on there if you like).

XbSuper

and just buy the entire decorating...include your alchemy lab and the next house which is in soltitude should cost you a wopping 25000 gold.I think it might have more in it other then just a alchemy lab.

In what way is solitude the "next" house? As far as I can tell, the houses can be purchased in whatever order you want. Plus the house in solitude is pretty crappy anyway, and not worth the money, unless you're like me and have 2-300000+ gold and nothing else to spend it on.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

In what way is solitude the "next" house? As far as I can tell, the houses can be purchased in whatever order you want. Plus the house in solitude is pretty crappy anyway, and not worth the money, unless you're like me and have 2-300000+ gold and nothing else to spend it on.

Solitude is usually the last house you would buy, so you are right in that aspect, as for whether it's 'pretty crappy', I disagree, I'll take a mansion anyday.

Mytheos

I believe that when you take a horse it will fat travel with you but it leaves the moment you arrive. When you purchase a horse it will not only fast travel with you but also will stay where you left it. Sorry if someone already mentioned this.

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Tapatalk

rvk5150

Well if that is the case I will simply put up with the horse situation; to get one legally for free beats paying $1,000 for it.

I love having the house; honestly I know I am early in the game compared to all of you but I do not think I will buy another. I don't want too much to remember/manage and like have a "headquarters" per se.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts