• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Is there any mention of the Green Pact in Skyrim? I don't think I've ever stumbled upon it, probably because there aren't that many bosmer around.

Also, to those of you who play bosmer, do you ever take the Green Pact into consideration? I know a lot of us like to RP our character in-game, but how do you simulate the Meat Mandate of eating your fallen enemies? Not only that, but not using any wood-based weapons sounds like it may prove very difficult, especially early in the game.

It's something I've always wondered and it's always been the reason I've never truly considered making a bosmer character. The idea that I have to eat Ulfric or something just sounds...distasteful.

Or, conversely, maybe someone with better knowledge of the lore would say I've misinterpreted something? What are your thoughts?

Morgan

Also, to those of you who play bosmer, do you ever take the Green Pact into consideration? I know a lot of us like to RP our character in-game, but how do you simulate the Meat Mandate of eating your fallen enemies? Not only that, but not using any wood-based weapons sounds like it may prove very difficult, especially early in the game.

Technically they are only prohibited from using vegetable material from Valenwood. Presumably wood-based stuff in Skryim is sourced locally, since they don't seem to have discovered China yet. It does seem odd that they'd get an initial bonus to alchemy since so many alchemy reagents are plants. There's a certain quest you could do pretty early on that results in the ability to eat fallen foes, so if you wanted to add the mechanics you could do that. Otherwise I guess you could just assume that every now and then if you come across an unusually hygienic bandit you take a big bite on your way to the boss chest.

Generally Crappy

Member in Good Standing of House Redoran
Morgan is correct. The Green Pact is a sacred agreement with Y'ffre, the God of the Now in the Bosmeri Pantheon. In it, Y'ffre explains that the land of Valenwood is to be held sacred, and that the land and all that grows from it shall not be harmed. This simply means that any plants/wood materials from somewhere other than Valenwood is perfectly fine, because it is not sacred.

However, the cannibalistic tradition of the Wood Elves does not stem from the Green Pact at all. In fact, it is rarely seen outside of Valenwood itself, because of how the other provinces view the tradition. Most Bosmer outside of Valenwood do not eat their fallen enemies, so you don't really have to worry about it in Skyrim. Of course, you could role play it with the Ring of Namira, but that's another story.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
On one roleplay I did with a Bosmeri, yes I took this into consideration. Acquiring the Ring of Namira was one of the first few things to do.

And yes, as Morgan mentioned, the Green Pact only applies to the trees of Valenwood.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Ahhh, I see. I didn't realize it only applied to the lands of Valenwood. I would have thought that all of nature was sacred.

It's also good to hear that the cannibalistic rituals aren't widespread. It just seemed like something that would make a bigger impact with how people judge Wood Elves, especially in Skyrim seeing as how so many Nords are so vocal about their...opinions of other races.

osheao

holy smak!

i have never heard of this. i rarely play bosmer characters.

this is absolutely perfect for a DiD character.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
However, the cannibalistic tradition of the Wood Elves does not stem from the Green Pact at all.
While it's a biased and questionable source, the First Edition of the Pocket Guide to the Empire quotes Eric of Guis's statement that the Meat Mandate is part of the Green Pact. I've never been able to find any other references to the Meat Mandate other than one in A Dance in Fire where it only implies that Bosmer are supposed to be strict carnivores. Is there some other source such as in game dialogues from other Elder Scrolls games that sheds more light on the Meat Mandate and the ritualistice practice of cannabalism by the Bosmer?

Eric of Guis claims the practice is to eat a fallen enemy completely within three days. I find it strains credibility to believe a tiny Bosmer could consume over a hundred pounds of flesh and organs in three days let alone hundreds of pounds if he or she killed several enemies in a battle. Given that he has a clear disdain for Mer in general and only spent a summer among the Bosmer, his descriptions come accross as the ingorant conclusions of an Imperial politician, but they're the only source I could find on this.

Generally Crappy

Here's the direct quote from Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition... "This part of the Green Pact is known as the Meat Mandate, and, among its other rules, it requires that a fallen enemy must be eaten completely before three days pass. The family members of the warrior that slew the enemy may help him with his meal. Needless to say, the Wood Elves do not like to engage in large battles if they have not undergone a suitable starvation period."

I guess I was mistaken about it being part of the Green Pact, but I know I read somewhere that their cannibalism has rarely been seen outside of Valenwood. I'll try and find the source, and I'll post it if I do. Also, it explains how it's not just 1 Bosmer eating an entire body :)

Dagmar

Also, it explains how it's not just 1 Bosmer eating an entire body :)
It's not necessarily 1 Bosmer but it can be. That's still a lot of food to consume for a few Bosmer unless Bosmers generally have really large families. Think about how long a Thanksgiving Turkey that weighs a fraction of that often lasts. :p

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
It's not necessarily 1 Bosmer but it can be. That's still a lot of food to consume for a few Bosmer unless Bosmers generally have really large families. Think about how long a Thanksgiving Turkey that weighs a fraction of that often lasts. :p

Damn.... Bandit-salad Sandwiches for days......

osheao

what?

i've read the pocket. i've read the books, i thought.

i need to know it all. i won't cheat and read some unoffical guide, though.

edit:are thosebunnies?

Generally Crappy

Okay, I found out that it was actually a forum post where I read this, so it most likely cannot be taken with a lot of merit, but in it he says that, "It is likely that most Bosmer outside of Valenwood do not practice cannibalistic rituals, as it is simply too controversial or illegal, for obvious reasons." So, I guess there is no source to find out about it. However, since we never see it in any of the games, I woulld be willing to assume that their cannibalistic traditions are most likely only followed by the most devout followers of the Green Pact.

osheao

Okay, I found out that it was actually a forum post where I read this, so it most likely cannot be taken with a lot of merit, but in it he says that, "It is likely that most Bosmer outside of Valenwood do not practice cannibalistic rituals, as it is simply too controversial or illegal, for obvious reasons." So, I guess there is no source to find out about it. However, since we never see it in any of the games, I woulld be willing to assume that their cannibalistic traditions are most likely only followed by the most devout followers of the Green Pact.

i want canabalism. i want distinction. are the woodelves the winners? lol.

i want to know all wisdom before choosing my "wood elf god." help..

i'v never played a bosmer. ever.

Generally Crappy

If you want to be a cannibal, you can be any race ( ;) ) the Wood Elves simply believe that their God supports their cannibalism

Generally Crappy

yes, i know.

"Either I'm far too drunk or I'm misunderstanding you" but were you asking a question? lol, I'm confused.

Dagmar

i've read the pocket.
There are 2 publicly available editions, the First Edition and the Third Edition. They are very different regarding content. The First Edition covers cannibalism among the Bosmer relying solely on a biased source while the Third Edition doesn't mention the practice at all.
edit:are thosebunnies?
Yes. :)

Neveraine

BRINGER OF DEATH
Instead of using the ring of Namira you could also just become a werewolf and transform into a werewolf, so you can eat your enemies.
Also one of the advantages of the Green Pact is that to expel invaders from Valenwood, the Bosmer can call a great hunt where a group of them become monsters with deadly abilities. Unfortunately this ability is permanent and all monsters are supposedly derived from past Great Hunts.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
See, that's why I originally posed the question. It's such a...critical thing for a Bosmer, yet there isn't much spoken about it. Based on what Generally Crappy quoted, cannibalism would seem relatively widespread and accepted. Though it really does seem like it would conflict with government laws outside of Valenwood.

Not only that, but how do the High Elves feel about their subjects eating their enemies?

I can buy into the idea that only Valenwood is considered to be like, a "holy land". So, imported wood products and what-not sounds fine. But this enemy eating sounds like a difficult thing to just gloss over.

Generally Crappy

See, that's why I originally posed the question. It's such a...critical thing for a Bosmer, yet there isn't much spoken about it. Based on what Generally Crappy quoted, cannibalism would seem relatively widespread and accepted. Though it really does seem like it would conflict with government laws outside of Valenwood.

Not only that, but how do the High Elves feel about their subjects eating their enemies?

I can buy into the idea that only Valenwood is considered to be like, a "holy land". So, imported wood products and what-not sounds fine. But this enemy eating sounds like a difficult thing to just gloss over.

I think I can relate it to real life, maybe... For example, in the Bible, Deuteronomy 22:20-21, it says, "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die". Now, Christians obviously don't stone non-virgin wives anymore, because as civilization advances, many practices that were believed to be just in a more lawless society, are simply no longer acceptable.

I think this could be the same for the Meat Mandate of the Green Pact. In Valenwood, you find a much more barbaric and simple society than across Tamriel, which is why most Bosmer will only find their cannibalism accepted in Valenwood. Also, I would like to point out that even if cannibalism was not illegal in Tamriel, most Wood Elves probably would not practice it still, because of the way the others races would judge and berate them.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts