• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

FuturePJ

I'm trying to roleplay a Bosmer. I'm deciding whether to make him a ranger or assassin. I understand that Bosmer generally don't tend to be as aggressive as the other races. But they ARE cannibilistic. So could a wood elf be evil?

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
Make him a Hunter.................of SOULS! (cue dramatic music) But seriously, being that they are cannibals, the Ring of Namira is a must if you want him to fall in line with the lore

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
Bosmer aren't aggressively cannibalistic, only ritually. They consume only the flesh of a fallen enemy within three days of their death. Because of that, they often plan large meals and feasts around battles. It became part of their survival tactic after the Green Pact forbade them from harming the vegetation of Valenwood. So, giving your Bosmer a "dark" or "evil" persona based solely on his/her cannibalism probably wouldn't make much sense.

There's nothing in the lore to suggest that Bosmer are any more "docile" or less apt to fight than any other race. In fact, there is a ritual in their religion solely for the purpose of turning all participants into mindless killing machines to protect their lands, called the Wild Hunt. There's no universal mind set for them, so really, they could be anything.

Brael

Absolutely. I think any race/character can be evil as long as they have the proper motivations. You'll find you'll have a lot more fun if you create a back story or reasons for their actions(same with any character really, good, evil or otherwise). I currently have 3 different characters(and a forth being developed) and my favorite one to play is my "evil" Bosmer, solely because she is the only one with a fully fleshed out back story. Just start with a basic frame for the character and slowly add more details as you play to fill in the gaps. I started my character out with something completely different in mind and her story slowly morphed into what it is today over the course of several months actually. Just take it easy and have fun with it!

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
My Bosmer is not "evil", he does have the Ring of Namira, but he goes out of his way to kill witches, hags, hagravens, and forsworn. Well really anyone who is harming nature (i.e. sacrificing spriggans) He also relishes the chance to stock up on some free elven armor when it finds him on the road.

ise

Sorry, I play with a bosmer too. But I didn't know they are cannibals!!! Someone can maybe explain me this?

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
Sorry, I play with a bosmer too. But I didn't know they are cannibals!!! Someone can maybe explain me this?

Bosmer are cannibalistic, but only ritually. That is to say, they don't kill each other regularly for food, nor do they kill and eat one another in an aggressive or vengeful manner. Their tradition dictates that they eat only the flesh of a fallen enemy, who has been slain in battle. This must be completed within three days time, and family can help in the process.

According to the lore, this practice arose from a pact the Bosmer made with their primary deity Y'ffre, known as the Green Pact. This pact forbade the Bosmer from harming any plant life for their own benefit, leaving them completely carnivorous. Though many Bosmer outside of Valenwood seem to have no problem using, and consuming plant based materials, suggesting the pact only applies to the vegetation of Valenwood. For example, Faendal of Riverwood has a job at a lumber mill, and has vegetables and herbs stored for eating at his house.

Twiffle

im currently RP a Bosmer, as a hunter/alchemist, living off the land, but i didnt know they were ritual cannabals either. not quite how my character is but she does eat all the meat from animal kills so i suppose thats close enough.

Saozig

Hippy
The Green Pact confuses me. It seems that Bosmer wouldn't be able to use any plant products, including alchemy or wooden bows, but there's nothing is how Bosmer are presented in the lore or in Skyrim that suggests it's that strict.

The cannibal/carnivorous thing I would happily adhere to if the game let us harvest from Men/Mer/Beast opponents.

For my Bosmer, I'm RPing it like with any religious observance IRL: among the Bosmer there are stricter observers than others. Some do the minimum while others are more "orthodox". Some are even outright fanatical, while others like my character are more like "agnostic" about it. He can be pressured into being more observant when he's around other Bosmer, but in Skyrim, he doesn't really bother adhering to it, although the influence of growing up around it has influenced him deeply. Not unlike an atheist who grew up in a fundie Christian home. It's why he looks up to Feandal--in my char's universe, Feandal is more pragmatic about observing the Green pact and recognizes in Skyrim, it's not very practical. So my character sees Feandal as his mentor on how a Bosmer can live in Skyrim.

As for whether Bosmer can be "evil"--does being vampires count? When researching for my Bosmer char's fanfic story, I found this interesting bit of info in Niruin's wiki entry in the trivia section--apparently there's a whole Bosmer vampire clan out there: Niruin - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

ise

Bosmer are cannibalistic, but only ritually. That is to say, they don't kill each other regularly for food, nor do they kill and eat one another in an aggressive or vengeful manner. Their tradition dictates that they eat only the flesh of a fallen enemy, who has been slain in battle. This must be completed within three days time, and family can help in the process.

According to the lore, this practice arose from a pact the Bosmer made with their primary deity Y'ffre, known as the Green Pact. This pact forbade the Bosmer from harming any plant life for their own benefit, leaving them completely carnivorous. Though many Bosmer outside of Valenwood seem to have no problem using, and consuming plant based materials, suggesting the pact only applies to the vegetation of Valenwood. For example, Faendal of Riverwood has a job at a lumber mill, and has vegetables and herbs stored for eating at his house.

Ok! Thanks Andante
For once I was happy with my character.... I am vegetarian in the real life so I don't want to have a cannibal pj! xD but doesn't stop me to kill any one on my way....
Pfffff so now I will choose... Imperial? No...

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The Green Pact confuses me. It seems that Bosmer wouldn't be able to use any plant products, including alchemy or wooden bows, but there's nothing is how Bosmer are presented in the lore or in Skyrim that suggests it's that strict.
Yes there is. There are two separate aspects regarding treatment of vegetation. One is a prohibition from doing harm to it including eating it and the other has to do with crafting with it. The 3rd Edition of the Pocket Guide to the Empire states that the former is specific to Valenwood which is why why Nimriel can work at the Pelagia Farm and Gwilin can be an apprentice to the sawmill owner Temba Wide-Arm. The 1st Edition of the Pocket Guide to the Empire states that the latter is true regardless of the source of the material which is why Valenwood has no cities or townships built by the Bosmer themselves. It doesn't forbid the Bosmer from using items crafted or constructed by others which is why building and trade contracts are a significant source of commerce between Valenwood and other provinces as depicted in the book series A Dance in Fire.

Saozig

Hippy
The 3rd Edition of the Pocket Guide to the Empire states that the former is specific to Valenwood ....

And in being specific to Valenwood it's not required outside of it, as your example shows.

The 1st Edition of the Pocket Guide ...doesn't forbid the Bosmer from using items crafted or constructed by others

So, per what you provided, I can conclude my initial point was correct: no, the lore does not suggest the Green Pact is as strict as an all-out restriction on using any product made from vegetation.

TK11

The whole thing about the bosmer is purely religion. They only eat flesh of fallen enemies. Its not cannibalism if you eat something of a different race. Such as humans eating argonians, not cannibalism. But the bosmer are my favorite race and I don't find them being evil characters in any way.. :) hope that kinda helps!

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I just Deleted My bosmer Assassin/Cannibal and she was a load of fun. Lore wise they are one of the least aggressive races, but yours can be a feisty SOB if you so choose haha, good luck and hope this was some help.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts