Quest Blood on the Ice Quest won't start!!!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nanquan

This is known issue already about this quest, which might as well be called "Bugged on the Ice"... but anyway, I'm one of the people who can't start the quest at all! No body appears in the graveyard, and when I try to buy the house he says there's a disturbance and it's unavailable to buy. Also I can't pick the lock, says "requires key".

Console command "Setstage MS11 0" doesn't trigger the quest to start either.

I already finished the main Quest and also the Stromcloaks quest.

I've scoured around the internet endlessly trying to find a solution but couldn't find one.

I've also looked on this forum but doesn't seem there's a post about this quest regarding the specific problem of not being able to start it at all. So maybe someone here knows how to get this damn quest to trigger?

Thanks,
nanquan

dysomniak

Wow, if I were a superstitious man I'd say this quest is cursed. I didn't have any trouble starting it but I can't finish it.

nanquan

There are a lot of known bugs with regards to not being able to finish the quest, but there are actually quite a few workarounds for that using console commands etc.

However for people who can't start the quest at all, nothing seems to help!!! Can't even start it with console commands.

Anyone here know if a fix for this problem is available already?

Thanks!

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
I mean there is no fix for it. It's a buggy quest that runs into issues because of no reason apparently. There's a discussion about it here that talks about the variables to which you can trigger the quest. Sadly, it's pretty much inconclusive.

AshBash

Started Blood on the Ice quest, and investigated the body found by the graveyard. Went into the abandoned house, found all the clues including two of the journals and the Necromancer's Amulet. I went to the Jarl's steward to tell him my suspicions of the Court Mage. Afterwards, ditched the quest for some reason. I must've thought I completed it, which is ridiculous on my part. Began the Civil War quests, and the Imperials took over Windhelm, thus the Jarl is dead. I turn to leave, the Court Mage is standing in the room, so I talk to him. Accuse him, he tells me I've found the Necromancer's Amulet, however, it does not come up as such in my inventory. Read that the real murderer is needed to identify it, and must be sold to him. Attempted this, his shop is constantly locked. I lockpick my way in, he calls the guards on me and fights me. I pickpocket his key off him, find the first Butcher's journal. I can't get anything to activate the quest further! I find him stalking an Altmer woman around Windhelm, and I've got the 'Patrol the streets on the Stone Quarter' quest active, so it points to a spot on the map, but nothing happens. Go back to find that the Court Mage is held in the prison, and the only thing I can ask him about is training in Destruction magic. I've followed the butcher...for hours...he doesn't go to kill the woman, he just FOLLOWS her. The others whom I've questioned don't give me any options for speech as well. Viola, Calixto, the steward...The next body hasn't shown up yet either. =/

Verac

I cant get the quest to start either, i heard travelling 4 times to cities and back fixes it but i did and nothing. Bethesda, Kings of the art of bugmaking.

samyblueshorts

if youre around level 50,(im 53) things tend to glitch up.. like a companion quest i cant complete cause the one place i have to go freezes up every time at the loading screen, also i cant compete arniels final warped soul gem quest, er whatever cause the spell isnt having any effect on the convector.. plus some bounties, such as dragons at brownstrew crest is really really laggy.. this is making me regret skyrim..

jrod80

Yeah i started the quest made it up to the part where you are suppose to talk to the woman that put up the wanted posters about the butcher couldnt find her so i left the quest for a while and came back bought the house in windhelm and relized somethin was wrong when i couldnt decorate it ive tried everything and nothing has worked so far and its a shame because the house in windhelm looked pretty cool and ive wasted 12,000 gold.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.

Pieter

HELP someone, I think I have missed the scene, the girl is dead(because the mother is dead and the father say "both my daughters and now my wife"(might be the wrong girl)) I've seached the internet endlessly, only people compaining about how buggy the quest is, not a f****ing usefull answer. I have completed all the main quests so I dont want to start all over.

I HOPE SOMEONE CAN FINALY HELP ME OUT

Verac

HELP someone, I think I have missed the scene, the girl is dead(because the mother is dead and the father say "both my daughters and now my wife"(might be the wrong girl)) I've seached the internet endlessly, only people compaining about how buggy the quest is, not a f****ing usefull answer. I have completed all the main quests so I dont want to start all over.

I HOPE SOMEONE CAN FINALY HELP ME OUT
Lock pick your way into the hjerim house. it should work. and investigate and all that.

Pieter

I tried that already, entering twise via the back door of windhelp aswell, also all the commandlines. Tova Shatershield is dead, and I killed Nilsine to for Muiri(dark brotherhood questline), maybe that has something to do with it? Is there any way of getting the house without having to do blood on the ice?

Hope to see replies

Monopoly

Gypsy Panther
If you kill Nisine before the Blood on the Ice quest it won't start, because Tova kills herself when Nilsine dies and Tova is essential to Blood on the Ice.

I'm afraid you can't buy Hjerim without doing Blood...

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
I ended up buying the house Hjerm after Ulfric ( Kind of a facist) Stormcloak choked on Wuuthrad once i completed the Civil war quest and the Main kill lots of Dragons quest. When i went into the house i found the initial evidence and that started the quest. I couldn't start it before that though i'm a lowly PS3 user.

Deshy

Okay there are a few ways to get around this bug. You can enter and leave windhelm four times but make sure to enter at 2am on the fourth time, you can go and pickpocket the key off of Tova when she is sleeping in her house and then go read the journals and take the strange amulet after that talking to the guards or Viola will activate it sometimes it activates right after you read the journals. DO NOT KILL NILISINE. If you kill Nilsine, Tova's daughter, in the Black Brotherhood quest then you cannot get the quest to activate at all. I found this all out by searching the web. The one I found most effective is that I visited Windhelm a couple of times and then went and pick-pocketed the key.

Iveri Sarothil

I've tried to get this quest to work on four different characters and it's never triggered for me. :/ I find it odd that Bethesda's allowed it to go this long without throwing us a fix. It's one of the most interesting quests in the game - I'd love to be able to try it sometime, but even consoles haven't seemed to be working. That, and I don't want to risk screwing up a save, so I'll just wait.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts