• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Sword and board on legendary diffculty

• Yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

JoeReese

I think it is probably one of the more viable options. Destruction magic certainly isn't much help. You'd have to dance more, go in only to strike and then get back out, but it could be done.

Make liberal use of your quick bashes. Go in as they're winding up for their attack, quick bash, strike, back out and let them chase you for a couple of feet. When they wind up again, bash, strike, out. The quick bash interrupts their power attacks.

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
I meant to post here awhile back, but kept forgetting...

Everything is possible on Legendary difficulty as any other. The only real difference is the number of encounters you simply cannot approach until you have sufficient experience. Mind you, much of this can be averted by acquiring a follower early on. In other words, think of Legendary difficulty as Novice difficulty except harder.

Is it effective? In my opinion, just as effective as any other build. Harder difficulties only amplify your weaknesses. It'll take that much longer to be able to 'sword & board' certain encounters, particularly that of magic intensive ones... Hybrids are always better (as far as efficiency in killing is concerned), but often roleplay relies heavily on a specific play style. Make whatever you wish of your time. If sword & board is how you want to do it, do it.

Last edited:

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Block perks combined with armor perks and lots of health make you invincible.

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
Any build is viable on Legendary difficulty if you play it correctly and strategically.

You're still made of balsa wood for a good while, though.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
IMO - and this is from someone who only uses legendary on a very, very rare basis (It's too hard!), sword and board is definitely the way to go. Block is invaluable and it just isn't the same with a 2 handed weapon.

Mages = die immediately, all the time, for the entire game, unless you have a tank with you or can conjure one

2 Handed = while it evens out in the end, you just can't block effectively or deal enough damage to survive at lower levels

Dual wield = forget it, unless you are very, very sneaky, and, even then, if you get caught, you're dead

Archery = perfectly viable on any difficulty, but, for goodness sake - DON'T GET CAUGHT. Then you're dead.

JMO. :)

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind

This ^^

I'm so glad block was one of my main skills early on, some of the perks are really powerful, the defence vs power attack slow time is ridiculous and cool at the same time.

Block is one of the must haves if you're going legendary, enemies deal way more damage, and 2h weapon blocks just don't compare to a sturdy shield.

Dual Wield can work with hp/stamina absorption, which nullifies the enemies damage that hits you (2 Nightingale's :))

Legendary is not that hard though! It only makes you 3x weaker and the enemy 3x stronger!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

This ^^

I'm so glad block was one of my main skills early on, some of the perks are really powerful, the defence vs power attack slow time is ridiculous and cool at the same time.

Block is one of the must haves if you're going legendary, enemies deal way more damage, and 2h weapon blocks just don't compare to a sturdy shield.

Dual Wield can work with hp/stamina absorption, which nullifies the enemies damage that hits you (2 Nightingale's :))

Legendary is not that hard though! It only makes you 3x weaker and the enemy 3x stronger!
ONLY! I can barely handle I deal 3x and they deal 1/3rd. Sheesh. You people are good!

Argonianale7

Sheratopia
It's very viable most of the time, but the OP mages, I promise you will have an exceptionally hard time with unless you have a follower or any sort of long range attack.

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
Sheesh. You people are good!

No, I just save a lot... Play on Legendary and never die. Now that's impressive!

...Why am I on the boards on Christmas? Games don't take holidays.

TheNatural

In my opinion, the MOST viable build is a sneak+dagger build.

When your sneak is high enough at low levels you can just roll through dungeons and avoid the tougher encounters if need be, and for the unavoidable encounters the x15 sneak attack will one shot anything with decent enough weapons.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
How do you bulid a sword board character on legendary diffcullty then.

You dont build a character on a certain difficulty, its not about that lol - its about spending your skill points wisely and avoiding levelling useless skills that wont actually help you in battle (avoid multiple combat trees and stick to one)

E.g Go One Handed and Block, completely forget about 2H, Archery, Sneak - if you are doing this.

OR Pick Archery, Sneak and avoid Block, 2H - level skills that support your characters playstyle.

Jack of all Trades are usually weak when compared to enemies, since their skills are all over the place, if the majority of your exp comes from lockpick for instance, you will suck vs enemies.

Followers can be pushed into doors and commanded to open locked chests providing you place lockpicks in their inventory, thus rendering Lockpicking absolutely useless (Never level this).

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Not sure why this matters to you, but calculations specifics can be found on skyrim uesp wikis.

In terms of armor cap reductions to taken damage and so on.

I find it MORE enjoyable if the dragon is still getting me below half hp, the thrill of being under pressure makes the kill a whole lot more satisfying.

Don't get into the mindset that taking no damage is more fun, its not. Focus on making your character relatively strong but not invincible, gets old fast.

Latest posts