Blacksmithing perks as an Assassin- The Conundrum...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lux

Ladies and gents,

While I know that just about every player, regardless of class or play-type, specs into blacksmithing to get daedra/dragon (if light), I've been recently forming the hypothesis that doing so as a proper assassin is probably a waste of perks. And here is why:

1) Assuming the play-style is to be never hit, armor and armor rating becomes almost meaningless so long as you can effectively play that way. Furthermore, though you would not be able to craft dragonscale armor, it is possible to find the pieces in the world at 20x less probability than any other armor type. While this would take a long time, getting the armor set quick does not seem worth 5-6 perk points in a class that shouldn't be taking damage anyway.

2) According to UESPwiki, you can forge daedra weapons and armor (except the boots which are bugged) at the Atronach Forge, although you need many more reagents. This means that you would be able to get your daedric weapons as an assasin, which are more important then armor anyway since damage output are more important than damage reduction.

"In addition to the equivalent Ebony item and a Daedra Heart, you need to supply a Centurion Dynamo Core, and a Black Soul Gem — as well as having upgraded the forge with aSigil Stone, which can only be done once your Conjuration skill reaches 90."

3) The one thing the smithing perk points do which is nice is that they allow you to improve armor pieces twice as much. Here is a link to a chart explaining this:

Skyrim:Smithing - UESPWiki
(the chart is about half-way down)
Thus, you would need a skill level of 168 to refine weapons or armor to legendary without any perks. However, I am pretty sure this cap can be reached using alchemy/an enchanted smithing set at 100 smithing skill. (Blacksmith's elixir alone should bring your skill to 150 if your base is already at 100). I have never actually tried this method, so confirmation would be sick.​

4) Say you do all of this, save yourself 5-6 perk points, and start getting killed in all your quests? Well, here is a video detailing a method that increases the armor rating of any armor set tremendously. Phenomenally, it follows the unbugged mechanics of the game, so while it may be cheap, it seems perfectly legitimate especially if you are struggling to survive.

The guy in the video had the smithing perks, so while you wouldn't be able to make gear with as huge an armor rating as that, it should still theoretically be a ton.

5) I would put 2 perks into smithing to get the arcane blacksmith perk.

What do you guys think?

neo nimrod

Ladies and gents,

While I know that just about every player, regardless of class or play-type, specs into blacksmithing to get daedra/dragon (if light), I've been recently forming the hypothesis that doing so as a proper assassin is probably a waste of perks. And here is why:

1) Assuming the play-style is to be never hit, armor and armor rating becomes almost meaningless so long as you can effectively play that way. Furthermore, though you would not be able to craft dragonscale armor, it is possible to find the pieces in the world at 20x less probability than any other armor type. While this would take a long time, getting the armor set quick does not seem worth 5-6 perk points in a class that shouldn't be taking damage anyway.

2) According to UESPwiki, you can forge daedra weapons and armor (except the boots which are bugged) at the Atronach Forge, although you need many more reagents. This means that you would be able to get your daedric weapons as an assasin, which are more important then armor anyway since damage output are more important than damage reduction.

"In addition to the equivalent Ebony item and a Daedra Heart, you need to supply a Centurion Dynamo Core, and a Black Soul Gem — as well as having upgraded the forge with aSigil Stone, which can only be done once your Conjuration skill reaches 90."

3) The one thing the smithing perk points do which is nice is that they allow you to improve armor pieces twice as much. Here is a link to a chart explaining this:

Thus, you would need a skill level of 168 to refine weapons or armor to legendary without any perks. However, I am pretty sure this cap can be reached using alchemy/an enchanted smithing set at 100 smithing skill. (Blacksmith's elixir alone should bring your skill to 150 if your base is already at 100). I have never actually tried this method, so confirmation would be sick.​

4) Say you do all of this, save yourself 5-6 perk points, and start getting killed in all your quests? Well, here is a video detailing a method that increases the armor rating of any armor set tremendously. Phenomenally, it follows the unbugged mechanics of the game, so while it may be cheap, it seems perfectly legitimate especially if you are struggling to survive.

The guy in the video had the smithing perks, so while you wouldn't be able to make gear with as huge an armor rating as that, it should still theoretically be a ton.

What do you guys think?
The second character I developed I went with the magical smithing and dwarvin perks. As you have suggested use of enchanting, & potions has made her armour adequate to say the least. The saved perks went into Shield and single handed weapon skills.

The Spectre of Skyrim

An Evil-turned-good guy
Ladies and gents,

What do you guys think?
It's...mmmm.....it's hard to say don't do it. I know that in the early game I needed the left-side smithing perks because I only had a dagger and I still got detected enough to need a good set of light armour. On the other hand, once I got invisibility, I could safely run around in Arch-Mage's robes, and so all the perks I put into armour were wasted until I finally did the main quest and made dragonscale armour.

Chokain

Smithing is not needed on an assasin. I got my assasin to lvl 50 wearing only hide armor (like the way it looks) granted I'm super squishy, but I almost never get hit anyway. The only reason an assasin would benifit from smithing is to improve ur weps, not worth it imo as ur sneak attacks are plenty strong without legendary weapons. Enchanting/alch is a better choice imo

ShadowGambit

An assassin doesn't need the smithing perks.

With 100 smithing but no perks, 4 pieces of gear with smithing +25% and smithing potion +85%, your LEATHER ARMOR will have an armor rating of 136. If you have Agile Defender 5/5, Custom fit and Matching set, your armor rating will be of 569, so 2pts over the cap.

With 100 smithing but no perks, 4 pieces of gear with smithing +29% and smithing potion +147%, the same LEATHER ARMOR will have an armor rating of 212. If you have Agile Defender 3/5 and Custom fit, your armor rating will be of 591, so 24 pts over the cap.

The smithing perk will so become only handy for an assassin for the weapon, Right? Not even

With a Daedric Dagger with 100 smithing and no perks, 4 pieces of gear with smithing +29% and smithing potion +147%, you will get 51 upgraded damage. With Armsman 5/5, the only applicable bonus for dagger, you get 153 damage. With Assassin Blade, it will give you 2295 damage.

Enough to kill everything you can sneak upon. I think only Dragon has more HP... but you cannot sneak on Dragon anyway. And that's Single Handed. Imagine Dual Wielded and with the Shrouded gloves...

Duon

Graphic Designer
My Dunmer Assassins obsesses over the quality and sharpness of his weapons so to me it was worth the perks. I just spent some time leveling non-stealth skills and still had the perks to max out one-handed/archery/light armor/lockpicking/illusion/sneak's skill tree's by around level 55-60 combat.

Not to mention smithing all that dwemer metal made me a big pile of coin.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts