• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I just thought of a character I would like to try out. I've been interested over the past few months in playing characters out of the normal dragon born quest. I am currently playing a "Robin Hood" type using the thieves guild to get there. Once he completes the thieves guild quest he will realize his motivation has been revenge against the Nords and will then use his skills to become a hero of the poor and downtrodden taking from the rich and giving to the poor (via pickpocketing and giving them gold and jewels instead of taking.)

But like many of you I'm aways think of the next character. So.... I am thinking of playing a Blacksmith. He will make and sell arms and armor all over Skyrim. He will be "living" in Skyrim and travel around selling his wares to earn a living. He will only use armor he has crafted for himself. If he finds armor somewhere he will improve it before selling it. He will be mostly interested in finding mines and such for the ores. Also Dwarven ruins for the dwarven metals and soul gems as his specialty will become creating magic weapons and armor.
I want a house asap so I can build a forge and shop. So will get to Falkreath as soon as I get the letter. Skills with goals of 100 will be along theses lines.
Smithing (obvious)
Enchanting
Speech
Two Handed
Heavy Armor

I am considering making him a Nord or perhaps a Redguard. So what do you think? Got any other suggestions?

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
A Nord would certainly fit in lore-wise, but a Redguard is pretty decent, too. I would also add in Block if you're using a Two-Handed weapon, but other than that, I think the RP aspect is going to be very prominent and ultimately pretty exciting.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Every character I've had has been obsessed with smithing. Do you intend to use only ore that you harvest? No buying ingots or ore from other smiths, that'd make it interesting. :beermug:

sticky runes

Nords start off with higher speech level than Redguards, so that will be handy if you're becoming a weapons merchant.

Do quests for all the blacksmiths you meet (Adrianne's sword, Queen Freydis' sword for Oengulf, Fire salts for Balimund, etc.) so that you can have free access to some of their sh!t.

The steed stone might be necessary if you're going to be lugging around lots of equipment and meterials.

There are some nice opportunities in Markarth for a blacksmith RP, with all the mines in that area. There's Calcelmo with his dwemer studies that you might be interested in as you expand your knowledge of dwarvern smithing, and the two orc smiths you can make friends with. You might also want to tour the orc strongholds to learn from their methods.

I know you haven't mentioned alchemy, but you might use it exclusively for smithing potions (plant lots of blisterwart and glowing mushrooms in your garden, and hunt saber cats for their teeth and fur)

Morgan

I like it! You can wear blacksmith gear when you're not fighting.

I want a house asap so I can build a forge and shop. So will get to Falkreath as soon as I get the letter. Skills with goals of 100 will be along theses lines.

You actually don't need to wait for the letter. Just go directly to Falkreath from Helgen, making sure to grab the Blackbriar Mead that's in the last cave (by the bear). Give the Jarl the mead and he'll send you to clear a bandit cave, then give you permission to buy a house. All you need is the 5000 gold.

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim
Cool idea, you could also do an Orc if you wanted. I'd agree with getting the steed stone or the warrior stone because it'll help you level faster, and getting lots of smithing enchanted stuff. Also when you get to the right level, I've found Nordic Maces give a great amount of experience considering you only need one steel ingot, one leather strip and one quicksilver ingot.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
All of my characters do this. It gets very addicting. Especially mining ores. Two legendary dragons will be circling overhead while bandits are closing in, and you'll be like, "Oooh, look! iron ore!"

Thus is why I love thus forum! You guys sound as interested about my character as I am!

I love the suggestions and will definitely use some if them. I will absolutely do some of the smithing quests and use that as a reason for them letting me use their shops! Great idea.
I do think I will buy ore when available and needed, but mostly will mine. I just thought about archery. I will need some bow skill to hunt for skins for leather. But will probably stick to "hunting" with the bow rather than using it as a weapon.

Some of the mines are around Orc Strongholds so I will probably end up visiting a few of those.

The steed stone would be helpful, but I would have to "discover" it. Whereas a horse would allow me to carry stuff until then.

Thanks again for the ideas☺

sticky runes

I just thought about archery. I will need some bow skill to hunt for skins for leather. But will probably stick to "hunting" with the bow rather than using it as a weapon.

I've done that before with a healer character, he would only use bows to kill animals for ingredients such as mud crab chitin and antlers to use in potions. I would not shoot human enemies, only using blunt attacks like maces and shield bashing, and I would use turn undead spells on draugr and ghosts, I find it quite fun to set restrictions on combat.

The steed stone would be helpful, but I would have to "discover" it. Whereas a horse would allow me to carry stuff until then.

And yes, the steed stone is a bit tucked away. Might have to accept some fetching quests in Solitude with the hope of "discovering" it ;)

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Many of my ideas have been mentioned, but just to weigh in on the race choice. Certainly a case may be made for either Nord or Redguard without much difficulty.

Both races are heavily into fighting and smithing is a major part of each culture. Nords are more likely to be accepting of magic and by extension, enchanting though you can find Redguard that do both, it's just less common.

One thing the Redguard choice would have going for it is that I would think a Redguard would be more likely to be civil war neutral and have less of an issue with selling weapons and armor to both sides of the conflict. Many Nords are pretty strongly aligned with either the empire or the stormcloaks. It's not out of the question that a Nord could be neutral though so either could certainly work

Twiffle

this may give you a few ideas.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Surprising but intriguing build, never been the type to limit myself to certain skills or behaviours since I like variety. Imagine how cool a game would be if it was built around template professions like this blacksmith, with quests tailored toward our preferences instead of random stuff scattered around with no clear relation, we'd each have our own roles, in a much bigger picture. Multiplayer would be epic.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Oh - bit of a spoiler, but if you're playing a blacksmith you might want to consider visiting the Skaal village in Solstheim to learn the art of tempering Stalhrim. Also, if you have the coin and choose to kill him - again another spoiler - you can get the enchanted pickaxe Hoarfrost from the Dunmer by Ahzidal's tomb. Forgotten his name already darn it. But that would help feed into the mining aspect of the roleplay in any case. :) You might get lucky and get attacked by Cultists before getting the horn anyway - my Orc did. :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjonesej0

Cool idea, you could also do an Orc if you wanted. I'd agree with getting the steed stone or the warrior stone because it'll help you level faster, and getting lots of smithing enchanted stuff. Also when you get to the right level, I've found Nordic Maces give a great amount of experience considering you only need one steel ingot, one leather strip and one quicksilver ingot.
I totally forgot about the mace. I was so into two-handed weapons for so long! Now I dual wield chilrend and an Ebony sword of burning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeverSeparate

Hi guys. I am thinking about a "smithing" character as well. Is there any real reason not to use a wood elf? I don't have my back story fully thought out, but I'm thinking of a retired assassin trying to live peacefully. He would have been tracked down for previous crimes, hence the beginning the skyrim. But I would buy the Lakeview Manor and smith enchanted weapons and armor, mostly bows and daggers (I sell the best bows and daggers as it's my weapons of trade). I would also learn alchemy for obvious benefits to the other two. I could start training in Riverwood to begin learning from experienced smith's. Thoughts?

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Hi guys. I am thinking about a "smithing" character as well. Is there any real reason not to use a wood elf? I don't have my back story fully thought out, but I'm thinking of a retired assassin trying to live peacefully. He would have been tracked down for previous crimes, hence the beginning the skyrim. But I would buy the Lakeview Manor and smith enchanted weapons and armor, mostly bows and daggers (I sell the best bows and daggers as it's my weapons of trade). I would also learn alchemy for obvious benefits to the other two. I could start training in Riverwood to begin learning from experienced smith's. Thoughts?
Your retired assassin elf could've picked up smithing as a hobby, something to pass the time, then ends up using his new found skill to create the weapons that will take revenge upon those who wronged him.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts